View previous topic | View next topic

I happened to hear on the radio....

Page 26 of 28
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next

suze
1379464.  Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:55 pm Reply with quote

HIGNFY is now on its 38th season without a resident host. It is well known for not having one, much as it does seem to be either Alexander Armstrong or Victoria Coren Mitchell rather a lot of the time.

Doesn't it look rather like copying if another show decides not to have a resident host?

Brock
1379498.  Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:09 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
HIGNFY is now on its 38th season without a resident host. It is well known for not having one, much as it does seem to be either Alexander Armstrong or Victoria Coren Mitchell rather a lot of the time.

Doesn't it look rather like copying if another show decides not to have a resident host?

Didn't it look rather like copying in 1990 when BBC television started a weekly topical news quiz with Ian Hislop as one of the team captains? He'd been on The News Quiz since 1985 (which itself had been running since 1977).

Sorry, that was a bit of a cheap shot... but really, when it comes to copying panel game formats, television has a much longer history of copying from radio than vice versa. (Indeed, Just a Minute itself has been adapted for television at least three times during its 53-year run.)

The idea of a rotating host certainly isn't unique to HIGNFY, though they may have done it first. In 2006-7 Radio 4 had a panel game called The Personality Test where all the questions each week were about that week's host, and the panellists had to mug up on his/her biography before the programme. Here's the rather bizarre list of celebs who spent half an hour asking questions about themselves.

As far as JAM is concerned, I suspect that it'll settle down with a permanent host eventually. After Humphrey Lyttleton's death there was one series of ISIHAC where Stephen Fry, Jack Dee and Rob Brydon did two programmes each; and after Miles Jupp left The News Quiz, Nish Kumar, Angela Barnes and Andy Zaltzman did one series each. Now Jack Dee and Andy Zaltzman are installed permanently.

I think Nicholas Parsons will be an especially hard act to follow because he was never a comedian; he was originally the straight man to the comedian Arthur Haynes, and as chairman of JAM became the natural butt of the panellists' jokes. Now there's no longer any such thing as a professional "straight man", it's going to be difficult to find someone who's content to take a back seat and leave the comedy to the panellists. Paradoxically, I think the temporary chair who did this best was Paul Merton - partly because he knows the show far better than any of the others, but also because he's said he doesn't want the job permanently and prefers being on the panel.

suze
1379507.  Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:47 am Reply with quote

Brock wrote:
After Miles Jupp left The News Quiz, Nish Kumar, Angela Barnes and Andy Zaltzman did one series each. Now Jack Dee and Andy Zaltzman are installed permanently.

Does it tend to be Jack Dee in summer and Andy Zaltzman in winter, by any chance? Mr Zaltzman appears to organise his life around the cricket season even more than the good husband does.

Brock wrote:
Now there's no longer any such thing as a professional "straight man", it's going to be difficult to find someone who's content to take a back seat and leave the comedy to the panellists.

That's a good point. I might suggest Jimmy Carr on the basis that he isn't funny and ergo he must be the straight man, but I would not wish to inflict Mr Carr on the JAM community.

Brock
1379512.  Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:17 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Brock wrote:
After Miles Jupp left The News Quiz, Nish Kumar, Angela Barnes and Andy Zaltzman did one series each. Now Jack Dee and Andy Zaltzman are installed permanently.

Does it tend to be Jack Dee in summer and Andy Zaltzman in winter, by any chance?

No, they both appear at varying times of year. Jack Dee is the permanent host of ISIHAC and Andy Zaltzman is the permanent host of The News Quiz. ISIHAC normally has two series a year and The News Quiz has three. A new series of The News Quiz starts tomorrow at 6.30pm.

PDR
1379519.  Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:59 am Reply with quote

Brock wrote:

I think Nicholas Parsons will be an especially hard act to follow because he was never a comedian; he was originally the straight man to the comedian Arthur Haynes, and as chairman of JAM became the natural butt of the panellists' jokes.

Not sure that's overly accurate. First of all he was originally an engineering apprentice and achieved certification as a marine mechanical engineer, but more to the point his start in show business was as an actor in rep for several years. During this period he did several seasons as resident stand-up comedian at the Windmill, and also featured as an actor in many west end shows and ultimately in film and TV shows. He also devised and performed one of the early Radio 4 satirical shows*. And of course he was a bit of a fixture on the Benny Hill shows. The Arthur Hays partnership just one element of a very long and varied career.

PDR

* "Listen to This Space" which started the transition from music hall satire acts to the sort of satire shows that make Radio 4 the jewel in the crown of British comedy. Ran for or several series and amongst its staff writers was Barry Cryer

Brock
1385626.  Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:24 pm Reply with quote

Sue Perkins has been chosen as the new permanent host of Just a Minute:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-57900638

PDR
1387546.  Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:15 am Reply with quote

I happened to catch The Reunion on Radio 4 this morning. Their subject was the Chris Morris spoof news programs (On the Hour, The Day Today etc) and it brought back to me just how stupendously outrageously ROFLMAOTIPMP funny these shows were. Even their approach to viewer complaints is a side-splitter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU_FXnSjBLY&t=1s

I commend the whole programme (on BBC sounds) as entertaining listening.

PDR

Brock
1387547.  Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:22 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
I happened to catch The Reunion on Radio 4 this morning. Their subject was the Chris Morris spoof news programs (On the Hour, The Day Today etc) and it brought back to me just how stupendously outrageously ROFLMAOTIPMP funny these shows were. Even their approach to viewer complaints is a side-splitter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU_FXnSjBLY&t=1s

I commend the whole programme (on BBC sounds) as entertaining listening.

PDR

Seconded. It was an excellent programme, and I'll probably listen to the Friday repeat as well.

My only complaint was that Radio 4 missed a trick, as it was the 30th anniversary of On the Hour last week, and yet the programme was billed as a "Day Today" reunion rather than an "On the Hour" reunion. The station should have blown its own trumpet a lot louder!

Brock
1388642.  Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:03 am Reply with quote

At the risk of being accused of exaggeration, I believe that The Birthday Cake Game may be the worst thing I've heard broadcast in the Radio 4 6.30pm comedy slot since I started listening to it over 40 years ago. For anyone who (mercifully) missed it yesterday, it consists of half an hour of people trying to guess how old other people are. That's it. Apparently it started life as a podcast (and should have stayed there).

Why on earth did Richard Osman agree to host it? I'd have thought that someone with his background would instantly have realized it was a turkey.

suze
1388648.  Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:51 am Reply with quote

It appears to be an Endemol format.

Mr Osman is no longer a director of Endemol, but he was for twenty or so years and it may be that presenting this show was a contractual obligation.

Brock
1388653.  Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:24 am Reply with quote

It may have been, but I'd have thought that R4 would at least have buried it in the 11pm slot that they reserve for "experimental" comedy. It's an insult to the mainstream R4 audience, and you won't hear me saying things like that too often.

AlmondFacialBar
1388660.  Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:34 am Reply with quote

On the other hand, that's the slot that gave the world The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, so it's really of too much historical importance to bury a shite programme there. ;-)

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Brock
1388666.  Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:43 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
On the other hand, that's the slot that gave the world The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, so it's really of too much historical importance to bury a shite programme there.

Not quite - 10.30pm was the late-night comedy slot back in those days, as I fondly remember. The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy was first broadcast at 10.30pm on Wednesday 8th March 1978:

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/search/0/20?order=first&q=the+hitch-hiker%27s+guide#top

PDR
1388683.  Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:04 am Reply with quote

Absolutely agree on the Birthday game - a complete waste of bandwidth. I also remember the H2G2 broadcast at 10:30 because I used to furiously cycle back from my wednesday night air cadet parade to grab the sofa and stereo headphones just in time. It was one of R4's first binaural stereo broadcasts, and the headphones were essential to get the full experience.

PDR

AlmondFacialBar
1388684.  Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:09 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
Absolutely agree on the Birthday game - a complete waste of bandwidth. I also remember the H2G2 broadcast at 10:30 because I used to furiously cycle back from my wednesday night air cadet parade to grab the sofa and stereo headphones just in time. It was one of R4's first binaural stereo broadcasts, and the headphones were essential to get the full experience.

PDR

Wasn't it the first one full stop, on Douglas's insistence? I can't be arsed to stretch out my right arm a full 80 cm and grab the radio scripts right now, but I'm pretty sure it says so in here.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Page 26 of 28
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next