View previous topic | View next topic

Votes for Women

Page 1 of 1

Sadurian Mike
761769.  Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:03 am Reply with quote

Inspired by something I mentioned on the WFHIT thread;

Q. When did the first women get the vote in Britain?

A. Nope, not 1928.

The 1894 Local Government Act gave women over 30 who owned property the right to vote in local elections.

The 1918 Representation of the People Act gave the vote in General Elections to women who were members of the Local Government Register, or who were married to one.

1928 was the Representation of the People Act that gave women the vote on equal terms to men, which at that stage was those over the age of 21.

mckeonj
761813.  Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:12 pm Reply with quote

It might even be earlier than 1894 that a woman could vote in a parliamentary election; when the only permitted voters were heads of household resident within a borough, if the head of the household were a woman, then she voted. Elections then were robust affairs, result determined by head count, no secret ballot then. Some boroughs had no resident voters, the so-called 'rotten boroughs', which could return a candidate un-opposed.

Sadurian Mike
761824.  Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:58 pm Reply with quote

That's true. It was the 1832 Reform Act that actually excluded women from voting, the act that was to "take effectual Measures for correcting divers Abuses that have long prevailed in the Choice of Members to serve in the Commons House of Parliament."

In other words, it was intended to prevent corruption in elections, such as the practice of Rotten Boroughs. However, it crucially included the wording that only enfranchised male electors and thus formally excluded women.

Before then, the number of electors was so small, and the proportion of female voters so minute, that it wasn't an issue. Tudor voting was largely based on being the male owner of property, but some women did sneak in under the radar by dint of being landowners or taxpayers.

The Reform Act, however, was the first formal parliamentry act to define who culd vote and who couldn't.

Jenny
761875.  Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:48 pm Reply with quote

That's an interesting point though - that it took an act of Parliament to actually *prevent* women from voting. I'd never realized that before.

sjb
761881.  Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:05 pm Reply with quote

Another parallel to that is that the British Medical Association accidentally let a woman for the first time in 1873 and were so disgusted by their mistake they prevented any other women from being admitted for nearly 20 years.

That first woman was Elizabeth Garrett Anderson, who was incidentally the first female mayor elected in England (Aldeburgh, 1908).

Truth be told, I'm planning to do a thesis/dissertation on the topic of early women physicians and the women's suffrage movement. So, I'm just slightly excited to talk about these things.... I'll try to stay calm. :)

suze
762084.  Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:02 pm Reply with quote

While Elizabeth Garrett Anderson was the first woman to be admitted to membership in the BMA, she was in fact the second woman admitted to the register of the General Medical Council. (If we exclude the small - and by definition unknown - number of women who gained admission by passing themselves off as men.)

The first was Elizabeth Blackwell, who had qualified as a doctor in the USA and then moved to London. As the rules of the GMC then stood, anyone who had qualified as a doctor at one of various listed foreign schools was entitled to be registered, and so it had no option.

duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk
1247750.  Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote

Q. Which was the first country in the world to grant women the vote?

A. It wasn't New Zealand

The answer is Sweden. From 1718 female taxpaying members of city guilds were granted the right to vote in local (withdrawn in 1738) and national (withdrawn in 1772) elections. From 1734 female taxpayers of a certain legal majority were allowed to vote in rural elections. This was never rescinded.

In 1893 New Zealand became the first self-governing country in the world to grant women the right to vote but not stand in national elections. In 1906 Finland became the first country to allow full universal suffrage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_women%27s_suffrage

Snowywebb
1288022.  Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:09 pm Reply with quote

The ‘Patriarchal’ based society, we, the brotherhood have (has?) so zealously tried to preserve is clearly going to hell at an exponentially accelerating rate.

Having worked alongside many woman, over the plethora of jobs I’ve had I’m not embarrassed to say the 2 best, most consistent and fair bosses i’ve worked for were both women, one of whom was the state transport manager of a trucking company, the other a woman that had emigrated to Australia after escaping East Germany at the age of 17, many years prior to the ‘Berlin Wall’ coming down and who through sheer hard work and determination had become the owner of a restaurant and who employed me as a department supervisor.

Struth, even my Mum was a woman!

Unfortunately I don’t think any woman in her right mind would actually want to accept the responsibility for having to clean up the mess we’ve left or the chaos of insanity we’ve created though I can almost hear the stoic voice of Jo Brand Saying “That’s okay, we’re used to it.” allowing for the briefest of moments, a glimmer of optimism.

I’m suggesting men be banned from voting and women given their rightful place - exclusive access to the ballot box, but somehow I don’t think the brotherhood is (are?) going to be allowed off the leash quite that easily.

Page 1 of 1