View previous topic | View next topic

99% of all known germs

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

aTao
760076.  Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:34 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Do the advertisers generally make a differentiation between "germs" and "bacteria"?

Ohh yes, for sure. Germs are bad bacteria, not to be confused with good bacteria (which they will also sell to you)**

**In ad land that is.

dhdgsn
760083.  Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:51 am Reply with quote

[quote="Arcane"]With regards to household products however, would you normally expect to find anthrax, tetanus and extremophile bacteria on your benchtops however? quote]

Bacillus and Clostridium endopores are very common in soil. That is why you have to have tetanus vaccination if you have a deep puncture wound and come in contact with the soil, e.g. in a road accident. Your house and my house will be covered in endospores.

RLDavies
760086.  Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:56 am Reply with quote

Arcane wrote:
I must say the new soap pump that you don't have to touch because of the EEEEEE germs strikes me as a rather WTH? kind of product.

I agree, the scare adverts for that thing are ridiculous.

On the other hand, the actual soap pump is on our next shopping list. I want to switch to liquid soap because the pumps leave the sink a lot cleaner than bars of soap. But Col can't use a normal pump -- literally can't, for physical reasons. This one, he can just cup his hands underneath and get a dose of the stuff.

Years ago in a book about marketing, it was predicted that with the baby-boom generation beginning to hit their 50s and 60s, there will be a tremendous increase in products that make life easier for people with physical and sensory impairments -- but at the same time they might not use this as an overt selling point. This auto-pump might be one of those products.

Posital
760092.  Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:25 am Reply with quote

They usually say "known germs". I'm guessing that we know of less than 0.01% of all possible germs...

so perhaps it only actually kills 1% of all germs?

Leith
760142.  Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:16 pm Reply with quote

Arcane wrote:
With regards to household products however, would you normally expect to find anthrax, tetanus and extremophile bacteria on your benchtops however?

Deinococcus bacteria turns up in processed meat and house dust, so I'd imagine it wouldn't be unusual to find it on kitchen worktops (though whether bleach resistance is actually among its survival traits, I don't know).

See:
AGAINST ALL ODDS: The Survival Strategies of Deinococcus radiodurans
J R Battista, Annual review of microbiology

Arcane
760205.  Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:10 pm Reply with quote

The selling point of the "No touch pump" is that there are germs harbouring on the pump (nasty things).

However, you wash your hands next, surely thereby removing the germs from your hands? The logic in that device therefore fails me.

Spud McLaren
760207.  Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:22 pm Reply with quote

The logic (from the adman's point of view) is that, if you use enough words like harmful, bacteria, family, etc, many people will rush to buy this saviour of a product without actually giving the matter some thought.

As RLD points out, though, it does have valid applications in a niche market; but that doesn't sell enough units.

Arcane
760450.  Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:17 pm Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
The logic (from the adman's point of view) is that, if you use enough words like harmful, bacteria, family, etc, many people will rush to buy this saviour of a product without actually giving the matter some thought.

As RLD points out, though, it does have valid applications in a niche market; but that doesn't sell enough units.

Whilst waiting for a programme to start last night, there were commercials one after the other for two different products where the words "harmful" and "germs" were used. Other words like "protect" "keep your family safe" were also used.

And yes one of them was for that silly no touch pump.

Yes, I can see an application as RL has indicated for those with mobility issues or otherwise, but for a normal family situation...whyyyyyyy?

Are we anti germing ourselves into more danger? Anyone have any good/reliable studies on that?

PDR
760480.  Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:55 am Reply with quote

I believe the "99%" claim is by population rather tnhan by type. So if you had 100,000 germ organisms in a sink the stuff would kill all but 1,000 of them - but 70,000 of them may well be the same type of organism.

Which is the more valid metric (population or classification) is a matter of conjecture and viewpoint.

PDR

gerontius grumpus
760652.  Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:49 pm Reply with quote

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned LD50. Toxicity is assessed by the concentration that will kill 50% of the target organism. This is because a graph of numbers killed against concentration makes a sigmoid curve so the middle part is most easily measured. It would be almost impossible to assess how much would kill all or none of the target organism.

Ion Zone
760663.  Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:21 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
I must say the new soap pump that you don't have to touch because of the EEEEEE germs strikes me as a rather WTH? kind of product.

Those sci-fi films where mankind is sealed inside a sterile bubble are probably right.

bobwilson
761272.  Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:17 am Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:

Actually, the logic (from the adman's pov) is that you're thick and will buy anything if they dress it up right. Clearly, it works.

mckeonj
761331.  Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:11 am Reply with quote

I am reminded of the advertisment that appeared in magazines many years ago:
"Guaranteed Instant Death to ALL insect pests!"
This was accompanied by a picture of a very dead fly, a small box, and a couple of cubes of some substance.
Send 5/- and you will receive the product by return, with full instructions enclosed.

The product was two wooden cubes in a small box; the instructions were 'Place insect on block A and strike smartly with block B'.

I was delighted to see this re-emerge in an episode of the TV drama 'Hustle'.

Celebaelin
761339.  Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:07 am Reply with quote

Oh really?

Jenny
761391.  Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote

OK make that two large cubes...

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next