View previous topic | View next topic

I am the Greatest

Page 1 of 1

Kishan Vekaria
759846.  Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:56 am Reply with quote

I was thinking that maybe you could do an episode about the best in the world at what they do. So for example sub topics within this episode could include sport: running, boxing, football, mountain climbing. From there you could discuss who is currently or maybe even for all time the greatest at what they do. Other topics could include writing, fashion, musicians and so on. I'd like to hear your views of such an episode and how you think it could go.

djgordy
759862.  Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:34 am Reply with quote

Sarcasm - me.

Spud McLaren
759868.  Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:17 am Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
Sarcasm - me.
Yeah, right.

sjb
761516.  Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:47 am Reply with quote

Possible (current) candidates for most successful uterus in the world:

and

Oh. My.

CB27
802767.  Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:38 pm Reply with quote

How about the greatest luck?

Some years ago Gray posted about Timothy Dexter, I don't remember it coming up on Qi, but a quick revision, and some add ons:

Timothy grew up as an illiterate farmhand in Massachusetts in the mid 18th century, he then became an apprentice in dressing skins for leather breeches and gloves.

Somehow, at the age of 23, and still not possessing any wealth or knowledge of any sort, he managed to charm and marry a widow 9 years his senior. Elizabeth Frothingham, nee Lord, had only been widowed under a year and still had a considerable fortune, which included a house and some land (the Frothinghams were a wealthy family in the area).

With his wife opening a shop in the basement of the house, and Timothy continuing his trade as a leather dresser, they would have remained unknown to the rest of us if it wasn't for Elizabeth's money and Timothy's incredible luck.

Timothy's initial luck came from land purchases, including a number of deals with various prominent men in Massachusetts who may have been a little put out at this "yokel" who seemed to be doing well.

These friends convinced Timothy to buy Continental Dollars, which were depreciating rapidly, but the American Revolutionary War soon ended and trade resumed, which meant he made over $10k profit very quickly.

He was then advised to ship warming pans to the West Indies and placed a young captain in charge of his ship. The captain, on finding no one needed warming pans in the West Indies, decided to take them apart and sell the covers as skimmers, and the pans as ladles, thus making more profit than initially expected.

Timothy's "friends" continued to give him bad advice, consistently convincing him to buy goods when no one else would touch them, only for his luck to turn around as he cornered the market. Thusly he soon built up a massive stockpile of whalebone just before it became fashionable to insert thin lengths of whalebone as flexible strengtheners into ladies corsets. Other ventures included selling opium, woollen night caps to Guinea (which were then sold on as mittens to traders travelling to Russia), bibles, and stray cats! All ventures turned a profit.

The last straw came when he was convinced to fill up two ships with coal and export the lot to Newcastle, England. He didn't know there was a mining industry in the area. What those trying to trick him didn't know was that, as the ships arrived, the miners had gone on strike and every lump of coal was sold for great profit.

He then decided to write a book about himself which he handed out for free, and despite his terrible spelling, random capital letters, and the fact it contained 8,847 words (33,864 letters) and no punctuation whatsoever, it became so popular he republished it (this time adding a page full of punctuation marks which asked readers to "peper and solt it as they plese") and sold it to the public. The book went to an incredible 8 editions!

Posital
802768.  Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:41 pm Reply with quote

Yes - the mourning period for Roy Castle is over - time for a comeback for RecordBreakers...

Bondee
802769.  Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:45 pm Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
He then decided to write a book about himself which he handed out for free, and despite his terrible spelling, random capital letters, and the fact it contained 8,847 words (33,864 letters) and no punctuation whatsoever, it became so popular he republished it (this time adding a page full of punctuation marks which asked readers to "peper and solt it as they plese") and sold it to the public.

He'd fit in well around here.

Posital
802778.  Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:05 pm Reply with quote

Dexter wrote:
fouder mister printer the Nowing ones complane of my book the fust edition had no stops I put in A Nuf here and thay may peper and solt it as they plese

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

................ ................ ................. ................... .................

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

..............................! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !.............................

................................... ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ................................

........................................ ! ! ! ! ! ! .....................................

.............................................!............................................

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

...............????????????????????????...............

He gets my vote...

Page 1 of 1