View previous topic | View next topic

AHobbby is not a Buzzard Stephen...

Page 1 of 1

astrobumpkin
759239.  Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:15 am Reply with quote

Just watched a recent programme on Dave when Stephen proclaimedd that the Hobby was a subspecies of the Buzzard... Its not, its a Falcon

Falcons are roughly divisible into three or four groups. The first contains the kestrels (probably excepting the American Kestrel); usually small and stocky falcons of mainly brown upperside color and sometimes sexually dimorphic; three African species that are generally grey in colour stand apart from the typical members of this group. Kestrels feed chiefly on terrestrial vertebrates and invertebrates of appropriate size, such as rodents, reptiles, or insects.

The second group contains slightly larger (on average) and more elegant species, the hobbies and relatives. These birds are characterized by considerable amounts of dark slate-grey in their plumage; the malar area is nearly always black. They feed mainly on smaller birds.

Third are of course the Peregrin Falcons.

The "typical" hobbies are traditionally considered a subgenus Hypotriorchis . There are generally four subspecies recognised :-

Eurasian Hobby (Falco subbuteo), also known as the Northern Hobby.
African Hobby (Falco cuvierii).
Oriental Hobby (Falco severus).
Australian Hobby or Little Falcon (Falco longipennis) is uncommon but widespread in Australia.

Untutored Eye
759242.  Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:21 am Reply with quote

Falcon hell! I never knew that!

Posital
759272.  Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:21 pm Reply with quote

See post 558052

astrobumpkin
759356.  Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:14 am Reply with quote

Appreciate your update Posital, I did try to find any previous postings but as I had no reference date for the programme shown on Dave I didn't know how far back to go. Thats the trouble with repeats.

Regards

dr.bob
759453.  Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:05 pm Reply with quote

Probably best to click on the "Search Forums" link at the top left hand corner of this site, and type in something suitable. "Hobby" might be a bit general, but I imagine "Falco subbuteo" should've turned up that thread.

Flash
759547.  Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:31 pm Reply with quote

astrobumpkin: we should just make it clear that we welcome your very learned contribution, whether the topic has been broached before or not. This is a pretty big forum, and it isn't surprising that things get duplicated from time to time.

gerontius grumpus
759727.  Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:32 pm Reply with quote

It's probably a confusion over the scientific names.
I mentioned in a previous thread on these forums that the scientific name for the common buzzard is Buteo buteo and the hobby is Falco subbuteo.
When Linnaeus was naming the hobby, he must have forgotten that it looks like a small peregrine falcon and named it after a small buzzard instead.

Page 1 of 1