View previous topic | View next topic

Iraq

Page 1 of 1

Ian Dunn
758375.  Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:07 am Reply with quote

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Iraq yet.

Something interesting from from Iraq has appeared in one of the papers (well, if the Daily Mail counts as one) about an Iraqi terror plot which planned to use bombs implanted in dogs.

I bring this up because I found this retweeted on Armando Iannucci's Twitter account, and it does bring back meories of this sketch from The Day Today which he co-wrote.

sjb
761710.  Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:45 am Reply with quote

Speaking of Iraq, I just read that a certain Iraqi (I won't say who)

Saddam Hussein

was given the key to the city of Detroit in 1980.

Apparently, he donated $250,000 to a church in Detroit because the reverend congratulated him on becoming the president of Iraq.

This fellow, Jacob Yasso, said of Hussein in the week following the invasion of Iraq in 2003:

Quote:
He was very kind person, very generous, very cooperative with the West. Lately, what's happened, I don't know. Money and power changed the person.

Hussein received his key to the city, in return invited a delegation of Detroiters to his palace, and ended up giving a further $200,000 to the same church.

I should probably mention that the church in question is a Chaldean one.

In any event, Detroit gave the key to their city to Saddam Hussein in 1980. Maybe that's where he hid those WMDs--perfect place since Detroit is apparently a ghost town now.

gruff5
761981.  Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:12 am Reply with quote

We look thru Saddam's jacket pockets to find that key, lock up the city of Detroit to keep the ghosts in, and then throw the key away.

Page 1 of 1