View previous topic | View next topic

QI Books

Page 15 of 15
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15

cherrycoke
761696.  Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:51 am Reply with quote

19 read, but isn't #36 just the second in the series of #33?

suze
761817.  Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:27 pm Reply with quote

Yes it is, as indeed Jenny noted in her introduction to the list.

Incidentally, that list does not in fact come from the BBC - it seems to have been created on Facebook. The BBC did indeed run a survey which produced a list of 100 books in 2003, but only about two thirds of its 100 are also on the list posted above.

From a look at the titles which do not appear on both lists, it seems likely that the Facebook list was compiled by an American. You'll also note that that probably-American has changed the rules a bit - only novels were eligible for the BBC list, but the Facebook one also includes plays (Shakespeare), poetry (Shakespeare again), short stories (Conan Doyle) and non-fiction (Bryson, The Bible).

For a more detailed explanation, see here. For the actual BBC list (which originally contained 200 books, but only the top half got much publicity), see here.

Ian Dunn
762300.  Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:23 am Reply with quote

I've only read about eight on that list - two of which were by Tolkien and two of which were by Orwell, so I've only read the work of six of the listed authors.

Anyway, if we are still suggesting quite interesting books, I would like to suggest Schoolgirl Milky Crisis: Adventures in the Anime and Manga Trade by Jonathan Clements. The book is a collection of articles, speeches and other material written by Clements, mostly on the subject of Japanese animation and comics. This book is a particular reason why, if the proposed audition forum is set up, I liked to bag Japan as a subject I like to cover.

However, the book does contain quite a lot of interesting material not just on animation but on other aspects of Japanese and Far Eastern culture and history.

Amongst my favourite titbits include the fact that Hello Kitty is from London and caused a stampede in Singapore; a theory that World War Two is still going on between Japan and Russia; and how animators got around the problem of censoring penises by using tentacles.

For those wondering about the origin of the title, whenever Clements is referring to an anime or manga project and wants to protect people, he calls the project in question Schoolgirl Milky Crisis.

Book's official blog

Neotenic
762304.  Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:31 am Reply with quote

Something that does bug me a little about these many and various lists of books that one really should have read to become a happy and well-rounded individual is that they are almost always lists of fiction books.

It's been at least five years since I last read any form of fiction, but I've been reading constantly over that period - just all non-fiction.

Perhaps it would be fun for someone to compile some form of list of 'essential' non-fiction books.

samivel
762307.  Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:34 am Reply with quote

I bet it would just end up in an argument over whether or not the Bible counts as non-fiction.

Ian Dunn
762313.  Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:47 am Reply with quote

samivel wrote:
I bet it would just end up in an argument over whether or not the Bible counts as non-fiction.

Whatever it is, a hope it counts on that list. It is one of the eight I've read.

suze
762379.  Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:42 pm Reply with quote

The Bible is non fiction. Even if you do not happen to believe that what is in the Bible is true, it's still non fiction.

It is unlikely that many of us literally believe that Cronus cut off his father's penis with a flint sickle, and that the semen spilled in the course of this assault impregnated the large breasted Gaia (who was both Cronus' mother and his grandmother). Even so, to read about it you'd need to take a book of Greek mythology off the non-fiction shelves.

So it is with the Bible.

In fact, Mr Google knows of several lists of "essential" non-fiction works. Unfortunately, most of these lists are American and seem to contain either only self-help books or only books about exploring and having adventures.

zomgmouse
762453.  Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:46 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
For the actual BBC list (which originally contained 200 books, but only the top half got much publicity), see here.

I think the fact that Jeffrey Archer's in that list is proof that the whole thing is bollocks.

Page 15 of 15
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15