QI Books

Page 13 of 15
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

dotcom
78305.  Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:17 pm Reply with quote

Vulcanised? As in Mr Spock?

auguste
79057.  Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:20 am Reply with quote

'The Book of Lost Books' by Stuart Kelly- a fascinating account of literary works that have been "lost"- because no copies exist anymore (often true of classical works, including a supposed comedy by Homer), because they were never completed (such as 'The Mystery of Edwin Drood', though several endings have been written for this book- just none by Mr. Dickens), or because they were planned but never written (not one but two authors- Herman Melville and Nathaniel Hawthorne- failed to write the proposed work 'Agatha').
There are perhaps three lost Shakespeare plays, though there is much debate over whether there ever was a play called 'Love's Labour's Won', or whether it was another title for 'The Taming of the Shrew'. 'Pericles' exists only in a sloppily reconstructed form. Most tantalisingly, Shakes wrote a play called 'Cardenio', based on a character from 'Don Quixote'.
Kelly writes with erudition and wit- two qualities greatly valued by QI types.

samivel
79062.  Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:33 am Reply with quote

Ooh, that sounds great!
I'm going to order a copy right now.

barbados
80376.  Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:27 am Reply with quote

I saw this for sale in a bookshop yesterday much to the shock and horror of the muslim freind I was talking to at the time

eggshaped
80382.  Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:46 am Reply with quote

I've just finished reading "The Gangs of Liverpool" by Michael Macilwee. Pretty good, some good snippets in there, and some interesting parallels drawn with modern day loiterers. Especially good for anyone who knows the area of Liverpool and Lancashire in general.

freakin89
81024.  Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:41 am Reply with quote

Currently reading a book about imposters, Anthony Keidis' bio and a book about the Greeks.
Books that have 'hit the spot', though, would be Inferno by Patricia Melo, Lord of the Flies, My Family & Other Animals by Gerald Durrell and The Alchemist.

Have yet to read a Stephen Fry book - but I hear that they're excellent (as to be expected).

Izzardesque
114918.  Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:33 pm Reply with quote

Life's Dominion: An Argument About Abortion, Euthanasia, and Individual Freedom by Ronald Dworkin. An excellent discussion of very difficult subjects.

Not a Number
114931.  Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:40 am Reply with quote

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking, by Malcom Gladwell.

(I posted this in the "What are you reading?" thread, but thought it deserved a second mention)

Ian Dunn
140218.  Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:55 am Reply with quote

It's Not News It's Fark: How Mass Media Tries to Pass Off Crap as News by Drew Curtis. A new book being released on 31 May, 2007. This book is a compliation of the best news stories from fark.com, a website full of true but rubbish news stories.

Along the same lines, there is also Not Many Dead: Sensational Pieces of Non-news from the Pages of the "Oldie" out now.

swot
140232.  Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:03 am Reply with quote

Would that book include Linda Smith's favourite 'Sheffield Man Dies of Natural Causes' or Dave Spikey's 'Dead Man Weds' (aparrently a real headline)?

Ian Dunn
140377.  Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:24 am Reply with quote

I didn't find them in Not Many Dead, but they could be in Fark.

Jenny
140469.  Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:08 pm Reply with quote

I am currently reading Collapse, by Jared Diamond, which is every bit as interesting as his other books were (not a double-edged comment - they were all fascinating.)

XDL
157487.  Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:54 pm Reply with quote

I finished A Series Of Unfortunate Events.

I could reveal all, but I'm assuming you're all too adult to read such immature MASTERPIECES.

Jenny
157489.  Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:15 pm Reply with quote

I read the first couple of those, but then they got a bit deja vu and I got bored by them.

Sorry...

I have just about finished reading Michael Pollan's book The Omnivore's Dilemma, which is aces and skill, or whatever phrase is current among you young people these days.

<shuffles off on zimmer frame>

barbados
157516.  Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:28 am Reply with quote

I do beleive the word you are looking for is sick Jenny.
Apparently sick is the new bad which was the new good.

Page 13 of 15
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next