View previous topic | View next topic

Is England a country?

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

bobwilson
759326.  Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:32 am Reply with quote

I'd just like to point out that there are more nationalities than there are elements in the periodic table - but even Tom Lehrer couldn't come up with an amusing song about them.

Nationality is a stupid distinction imposed by exceptionally stupid people on a populace who have the singular distinction of being even more stupid than their rulers.

I defy anyone to come up with a definition of any nationality which includes 10 (or more) people and excludes the rest of humanity.

I remain, Sir, closer to Calais than Newcastle

Fleabag
760231.  Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:28 pm Reply with quote

Where local policies are paid for from local funds, I have no issue.... so if the Welsh people are paying for the free prescriptions, it's fair enough.

I would be concerned if these free prescriptions were coming from the national insurance purse, as this is something we all contribute to, and should have equal benefits from... I'm sure someone can enlighten me on the finer points of funding.

exnihilo
762555.  Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:48 am Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
I'd just like to point out that there are more nationalities than there are elements in the periodic table - but even Tom Lehrer couldn't come up with an amusing song about them.

No, but the Animaniacs did.

sjb
762562.  Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:09 am Reply with quote

That brought back so many childhood memories. Thanks exnihilo!

suze
762604.  Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:31 pm Reply with quote

I wonder how many diplomatic incidents that one created? Naming England and Scotland as "countries", but not Wales and Northern Ireland, may have raised a few eyebrows. OK, so no one really got too upset that Tobago, Abu Dhabi, Borneo, and Mahore (where?) are named as countries - but so is Palestine. And Tibet.

Unsurprisingly, the same stable's song about state capitals of the USA gets them all right. (Yes, Americans really do pronounce Montpelier like that.)

sjb
762606.  Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:47 pm Reply with quote

Hey, Steven Spielberg can't be all things to all people. (He was the executive producer.)

Rawblues
765544.  Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:02 pm Reply with quote

The name of your country is that which is emblazoned across the front of your passport, and for all of us, that's "The United Kindom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". The word "England" won't be printed anywhere in any English person's passport because England is not a country. It was once, but not now. It's a HUGE anomaly that England, Scotland, and Wales are allowed to have teams that play other countries in certain sports as they are all just states of the UK.

Eezebilt
828456.  Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:52 am Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
Quote:
I'd also like to point out that Wales is not a principality, as thought by many. Indeed Prince Charles holds the title "Prince of Wales", however he has no law making powers and has no rights to govern Wales, therefore Wales is not a principality.

I'd like to point out that the UK is not a Kingdom as thought by many. ER has no law making powers and has no rights to govern the UK, therefore the UK is not a kingdom.

Someone had better tell the Queen, then!

All the laws proposed, drafted and voted upon by Parliament do NOT become law until they receive the Queen's assent and signature. This is the point at which the laws are MADE.

The Queen, by tradition, does not initiate legislation (though who knows what is discussed at the regular meetings between the Monarch and the PM?), but she certainly MAKES every law....

cinnamonbrandy
861302.  Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:47 am Reply with quote

exnihilo wrote:
bobwilson wrote:

But can you tell us which highly respected country they've mis-spelled, there?

exnihilo
861321.  Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:19 am Reply with quote

Probably several, as they adjust a few names for rhythm and rhyme, but they make the common error of spelling Colombia as Columbia.

soup
861322.  Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:27 am Reply with quote

exnihilo wrote:
bobwilson wrote:

Bob was "talking" about nationalities that song is about countries.

plinkplonk
865748.  Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:10 am Reply with quote

[quote="suze"]
TashkentFox wrote:

On the right hand side, we have Berwick upon Tweed.

So Berwick is no longer a nation, then?

tchrist
873693.  Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:05 am Reply with quote

exnihilo wrote:
Probably several, as they adjust a few names for rhythm and rhyme, but they make the common error of spelling Colombia as Columbia.

Um, no they didnít. They spelled it Colombia with an o.

However, the same large North African country gets tapped twice, once as Algeria then again as Algier.

Donít care. Itís still brilliant.

Posital
873698.  Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:56 am Reply with quote

exnihilo wrote:
bobwilson wrote:
...but even Tom Lehrer couldn't come up with an amusing song about them.
Even they didn't include Wales...

T J Alex
891049.  Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:19 am Reply with quote

Weren't there technically three Scotlands ?

Theres the, historically, Gaelic speaking, Catholic practicing, Highlands and Islands.
Who refferd to Lowland Scots as Sassanachs along with the English.(Due to their being Saxons).

The Lowlanders, speaking Scots and Protestant practicing.

And the Shetlanders who are closer in many ways to Norway, apart from the obvious geographical one.

I have no strong views about this personally, but saw this somewhere, probably Q.I.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next