View previous topic | View next topic

Highland Dress

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

GRAMPAR
765311.  Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:25 am Reply with quote

post Yet again when it comes to things Scottish the elves have got it wrong. The latest was the QIXL shown on BBC2 on Sat. 2nd Dec.2010 when the host, a Mr. Fry, once more oput his rather large foot in it as regards Tartan and the feileadh-beag or philabeg or in english the small kilt. The suggestion or "fact" according to Mr Fry is that the small kilt was the invention of an Englishman bears no basis in truth. As far back as 1639 an eye witness describes a Highland army under the command of the Laird of Buchanan as wearing [quote]"blew woolen wascotts. blew woolen bonnets a paire of bases of plad and stockings of the same, pumpes on theire feet and a plad thrown over theire left shoulder".
end quote;
The full text can be read in The Celtic Review 1913/14 from page 290 the author being one J. Reoch. Also the Act of Proscription of 1747, better known as The Dress Act, proscribed the wearing of Highland Dress and tartan in Scotland. This Act was strictly enforced until its repeal in 1782. After the '45 uprising failed many Highland Regiments were formed and they adopted the small kilt as their dress and won distinction for their bravery and valour on many a battlefield for the United Kingdom. As far as each clan having their own distinct tartan this is probably a Victorian invention but tartan, the word probably coming from the Vikings, most certainly was around for many centuries before Victoria came to the throne. Although I cannot find the reference now I recall as a young man some forty or more years ago, reading that a Roman Historian, I cannot remember who, described the warlike people of North Briton, what we now call Scotland, as wearing multi coloured skirts. We may or may not be the first to wear the feileadh-beag but those of us Scots with Highland blood are proud to wear it after all I have yet to see an English or indeed a Sassenach national dress. [/img][/quote]
Quote:

Neotenic
765349.  Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:20 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
The suggestion or "fact" according to Mr Fry is that the small kilt was the invention of an Englishman bears no basis in truth. As far back as 1639 an eye witness describes a Highland army under the command of the Laird of Buchanan as wearing
Quote:
"blew woolen wascotts. blew woolen bonnets a paire of bases of plad and stockings of the same, pumpes on theire feet and a plad thrown over theire left shoulder".

Um, doesn't that quote describe the longer kilt? It's the 'thrown over the shoulder' bit that gives it away.

Throw a short kilt over your shoulder, and you'll get yourself locked up for indecent exposure. Or incitement to riot.

Last edited by Neotenic on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

sjb
765350.  Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:27 pm Reply with quote

Neotenic wrote:
Throw a short kilt over your shoulder, and you'll get yourself locked up for indecent exposure. Or incitement to riot.

And you'll get a legion of admirers.

hassan el kebir
765354.  Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:43 pm Reply with quote

Depends on the weather, surely?

sjb
765355.  Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:52 pm Reply with quote

Good point!

hassan el kebir
765356.  Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:53 pm Reply with quote

Depends on the weather, surely? ;-)

Bondee
765359.  Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:09 pm Reply with quote

Spud McLaren
765360.  Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote

Kit inspection?

sjb
765361.  Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:19 pm Reply with quote

Re: Graham Chapman's command--

No, but seriously, I love Scottish men.

Zebra57
766269.  Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:20 pm Reply with quote

I understood that the widespread use of clan tartans were more or less the product of Sir Walter Scott's plan for the royal visit of King George to Scotland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visit_of_King_George_IV_to_Scotland

mckeonj
766428.  Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:36 am Reply with quote

During a recent visit to Edinburgh, I entered one of the many 'tartan' shops, looking for a Johnstone tartan tie or scarf.
Imagine my surprise that the proprietor was a Sikh gentleman named Singh, and that his turban was a rather tasteful pinkish tartan. He told me that it was a Singh tartan, granted to one of his relatives who owned an estate in the Highlands.
I rather smugly asked him if he had his 'skean dhu', and he opened his shirt and showed me his knife strapped to his body.
I was impressed.
(I have posted this story before, so what?)

Ainee
766677.  Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:15 am Reply with quote

Why was there no mention of the Cornish Tartans?

The Groom at a wedding (not in Cornwall) was dead chuffed when I identified the tartan he (and his brothers) were all wearing as Cornish. Not many people seemed to know that.

http://www.cornish-tartans.co.uk/
http://www.alanrichards.org/cornishtartan.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_kilts_and_tartans

Best wishes from Ainee

gerontius grumpus
766748.  Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:30 pm Reply with quote

The idea of Cornish tartan seems all wrong to me. Although the Cornish might share some cultural and linguistic characteristics with the Scots, tartan or any feature of highland dress isn't one of them.
Even the linguistic ties are several places removed.
I offended quite a few people by expressing this opinion when I lived in Cornwall but I know I'm right so it's OK.

Zebra57
766767.  Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:44 pm Reply with quote

Cornish kilts began to appear at the start of the twentieth century.

The Bracca a type of tunic would be a more accurate description of ancient celtic dress.

I can find no reference to Cornish National Tartan prior to 1963.

Like many "Celtic" associations their origins are not as ancient as some writers would leave you to believe.

The Cornish are distinctive in their own right with proud traditions and customs going back centuries. However like GG I get rather amused at the attempts of commercial outlets to invent tradition.

GRAMPAR
766975.  Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:58 pm Reply with quote

Having read your comments and in the usual blissful ignorance that accompanies sojourns into Scotland and Scottish subjects I can only ask any serious reader, including, and indeed ESPECIALLY the elves, to actually read the Celtic Review by J. Reoch, which can be found online in the Open Library.
As a matter of Cornish interest my eldest son married a Cornish lass some 19 years ago and reference was made then by the pastor in the church in Porthleven of the Cornish Kilt. Many of the Scotsmen at the wedding were wearing the feileadh-beag and the pastors comment on the display of Tartans was that it made that wedding the most colourful one he had officiated at.
The fact that we who have Highland blood in us and have a right to wear our " national" dress appears to make those who have no history of any kind of national dress jealous and as a result they have a tendancy to ridicule those who do. Be their abuse aimed at the Scots, Bavarians, Native Americans, Arabs/Bedouins or any other nationality. Or perhaps you have not noticed this! If you can honestly say that you have not I would suggest that you take off your blinkers.

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next