View previous topic | View next topic

The First US President

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

laidbacklazyman
50458.  Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:59 am Reply with quote

Being as a unified Canada is quite a bit younger than the US of A (1840's) it's unlikely that there would be a president over the whole of America, let alone just the "North" bit. Prior to 1840 Canada was made up of Aboriginal tribes until around 1497 when John Cabot sailed into Newfoundland. Pretty much between then and 1840 the British, French and indeed Spanish have been involved so the chances of there being one president to oversee the lot (between 1783 and 1840) would be neglible taking into consideration the wonderful freindship we had with those two nations at the time.

Gray
50460.  Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:48 am Reply with quote

And don't forget the Emperor of America...

gerontius grumpus
53058.  Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:20 am Reply with quote

How about King of America?

EC 1986

suze
53075.  Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:59 am Reply with quote

laidbacklazyman wrote:
Prior to 1840 Canada was made up of Aboriginal tribes until around 1497 when John Cabot sailed into Newfoundland.

Sorry to be a pedant, but a couple of things which must be said here.

First of all, no-one is entirely sure where it was that Cabot landed in 1497. He called it Newfoundland, but it may not have been the place which goes by that name today - it could have been Maine or Nova Scotia. On the other hand, Newfoundland is the only place in North America that we know for sure the Norse explorers settled - the Norse settlement at L'Anse aux Meadows may well have been Vinland.

Newfoundland became England's first colony, when it was claimed in the name of Queen Elizabeth I in 1583. The first permanent settlement in Canada proper was French, in around 1604. A group of French settlers had gone to Maine, but didn't like it there (sorry Jenny and Woodsman) and moved north to Nova Scotia and then Québec.

But Newfoundland has not always been part of Canada. When the Dominion of Canada was formed in 1867, Newfoundland was not included - at that time it remained a British colony, and gained Dominion status in its own right in 1907. It voted by a narrow margin to join Canada in 1949, under some pressure from London because Newfoundland was broke and the British government had refused to give it any more money. But there is still an independence campaign in Newfoundland and their national anthem, Ode to Newfoundland, is still used.

Jenny
53277.  Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:15 pm Reply with quote

There is a brilliant band called Great Big Sea from Newfoundland - we went to see them in Portland last year. More info here.

Natalie
53296.  Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:49 pm Reply with quote

Sorry to veer off...

Are Newfoundland Terriers those massive white furry, hairy dogs?

suze
53306.  Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:59 pm Reply with quote

Natalie wrote:
Sorry to veer off...

Are Newfoundland Terriers those massive white furry, hairy dogs?

They are big buggers and that's a fact. Furry without a doubt, and sometimes white (they do black and brown as well).

Sometimes known as "Newfie Wolves", although that's considered disparaging (mainland Canadians have been known to be disparaging about Newfoundland ...)

laidbacklazyman
53315.  Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:08 am Reply with quote

When driving through from Ottowa to Boston our trip took us through Quebec driving along at 125k with American plates aroused the suspicions of a waiting "French" policeman, in my best English accent I explained that I had increased acceleration to get my car over the brow of a hill and the downhill part had caused the speed to increase. The policeman on examining my British driving license asked just one question "The way you drive, are you from Newfoundland?" I laughed along and went on my merry way with just a reminder that I should only go up to 110 in a 100 limit. That and a reminder from my wifes uncle that I was very very lucky indeed, the only way to get away with speeding in that side of the country is to speak French

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2