View previous topic | View next topic

Impatience

Page 1 of 1

Ian Dunn
754833.  Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:11 am Reply with quote

A survey by TalkTalk in December 2009 revealed that Britons lose their temper after an average of 8 minutes 22 seconds.

It seems that it is the internet that is to blame for our lack of patience. For example, the "point in impatience" for waiting for an internet page to load is 3m 38s - then again it could just be angry TalkTalk customers.

In comparision, the point of impatience "for a response to a voice or text message" is 13m 16s.

The survey also revealed what people tend to do when they reach the point of impatience, 37% "cancelled a service", 35% "demanded to speak to the manager", 27% "shouted at someone", 26% "slammed the phone down", 24% "pestered for a response", 14% "walked out", 3% "thrown something across the room" and 1% "thrown a punch".

I'm guessing that people tend not to slam the phone down when having problems with their internet connection.

Source: Schott's Almanac 2011

mckeonj
754860.  Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:13 am Reply with quote

50% blame it in the nearest man.........

suze
754895.  Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:48 pm Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
The "point in impatience" for waiting for an internet page to load is 3m 38s.

That actually sounds rather long to me.

Unless it's a page that I actually need to see - rather than just something that I've idly clicked on - I doubt if I'd give it much more than the 38 seconds before giving up on it.

Jenny
754929.  Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:28 pm Reply with quote

mckeonj wrote:
50% blame it in the nearest man.........

I think that might be slightly more than 50%, mckeonj.

Of course the rest blame it on the nearest woman.

mckeonj
754963.  Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:08 pm Reply with quote

"Patience is a virtue,
"Posess it if you can;
"Seldom in Woman
"And never in Man."
(my granny)

MinervaMoon
754988.  Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:33 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Ian Dunn wrote:
The "point in impatience" for waiting for an internet page to load is 3m 38s.

That actually sounds rather long to me.

Unless it's a page that I actually need to see - rather than just something that I've idly clicked on - I doubt if I'd give it much more than the 38 seconds before giving up on it.

I think what they mean is the point at which you get angry, not just slightly impatient. (Source.)

Ten years ago, before we had wireless internet, I would readily leave the computer idling for an hour while waiting for a 3 MB file to download, or patiently keep redialing when the modem disconnected several times in a session. Nowadays, "high-speed" internet never seems quite fast enough.

Page 1 of 1