View previous topic | View next topic

Dice

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Ameena
759534.  Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:50 pm Reply with quote

May I just point out that you don't always read the base of a d4 to get the number - some of them have the numbers at the corners rather than in the middle of the sides, in which case you look at the number which is on top of the die when it's rolled.

Celebaelin
759545.  Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:29 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
The opposite faces of a D20 add to 21, which I suppose is what you'd expect. The opposite faces of a D10 add to 11, except for the pair that don't.

A d10 is not a regular polyhedron.

Celebaelin
759544.  Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:29 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
The opposite faces of a D20 add to 21, which I suppose is what you'd expect. The opposite faces of a D10 add to 11, except for the pair that don't.

tchrist
759557.  Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:50 pm Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
suze wrote:

You can say that again!

--tom

antonyg
759576.  Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:16 am Reply with quote

When I posted my first message, I never suspected that it would generate so many responses, of such variety.

May I suggest that, with bgkdavis's learned input, and the replies it generated, this topic has more or less run its course.

Except to say again, as Tom (tchrist) wishes, that a d10 is not a regular polyhedron.

dr bartolo
759578.  Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:22 am Reply with quote

bgkdavis wrote:
dr bartolo wrote:
as another interesting fact, all fair dice should have the pips (dots) on opposing sides add up to seven
(braces for klaxon)

And brace you might....

I guess your real error here is the incorrect use of absolutes, its impossible for ALL dice to have sides that ad up to 7, because you are in fact only talking about 6 sided dice and have failed to take into account 4,5,7,8,10,12,20,30,100, and many other side dice.

you cleverly spotted out my mistake...
oh , stepping aside from numbered dice for a moment, there is this game called "crown and anchor" - played with a 6 sided die with symbols rather than pips.
well, there is an orental version , which has gourd, castenet, coin, cockerel, prawn and fish. I 'm not shore what it's called, though

masterfroggy
759580.  Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:30 am Reply with quote

dr bartolo wrote:

well, there is an orental version , which has gourd, castenet, coin, cockerel, prawn and fish. I 'm not shore what it's called, though

Hoo Hey How

mckeonj
759586.  Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:34 am Reply with quote

Roman Dice with 20 faces

The symbols on this die are the letters of the Greek alphabet.
It is worth noting that educated Romans could read and write Greek as well as Latin.
The purpose of this die is not known, my guess is that it was used for divination rather than gaming.
The article from which this picture comes is at:
http://www.luxuo.com/most-expensive/dice.html

bgkdavis
759591.  Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:55 am Reply with quote

antonyg wrote:
When I posted my first message, I never suspected that it would generate so many responses, of such variety.

May I suggest that, with bgkdavis's learned input, and the replies it generated, this topic has more or less run its course.

Except to say again, as Tom (tchrist) wishes, that a d10 is not a regular polyhedron.

oooh I wouldn't say that the topic of dice has entirely run its course, as has been correctly pointed out there is a whole world of non numeric dice...

Interestingly a couple of people have used the D10, and D4 notation for describing dice.... I deliberatly avoided this notation because it can get misleading, as the Dnn notation refers to the number range and not the the number of sides.... there are actually 8 sided D4s, 20 sided d10s and 6 sided d3s

This means that to the pedant the repeated statement "A d10 is not a regular polyhedron.", is actually incorrect, yes a 10 sided dice is not one of the platonic solids and not a regular polyhedron, but there are actually 20 sided d10s, and a 20 sided polyhedron is one of the platonic solids

...BTW maybe I should mention I actually posses a pretty large collection of dice, at last count there were about 1,500 generic dice, and if you discount those that differ solely by size and colour I have about 200 of unique shape and numbering, and that's not including the non generic dice, ie dice that are uniquely designed for a specific game.

mckeonj
759603.  Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:54 am Reply with quote

Not dice in the strict sense of being a member of the regular polyhedra; but I recall a popular game in my schooldays was called HOWZTHAT. It was a dicing game based on cricket, the 'dice' were two short lengths od hexagon section steel bar, one engraved with numbers of runs 0 1 2 3 4 6; the other with words describing decisions. The other requirement was a cricket score sheet. This game could be bought, or improvised by cutting up a pencil.

This is not to be confused with HOWZAT, which is an online multiplayer real action game.*
http://howzat.com/

*Not SPAM, added by me for disambiguation

Celebaelin
759604.  Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:56 am Reply with quote

mckeonj wrote:
The purpose of this die is not known, my guess is that it was used for divination rather than gaming.

suze
759692.  Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:35 pm Reply with quote

bgkdavis wrote:
I deliberatly avoided this notation because it can get misleading, as the Dnn notation refers to the number range and not the the number of sides.... there are actually 8 sided D4s, 20 sided d10s and 6 sided d3s.

What, then, ought to be the nomenclature for the ten sided die which is numbered from 0 to 9?

Ameena
759747.  Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:10 pm Reply with quote

One of those kinds of d10s (the single-digit, 0-9 ones) could also technically be referred to as a "units" die, I suppose, since it serves as the units for rolling a "d100"...not a literal, 100-sided die, but two d10ss, one numbered from 10-00 (or 00-10 if you prefer), and the other numbered, as mentioned, 1-0 or 0-9).

bgkdavis
759826.  Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:46 am Reply with quote

I'm not aware of a special designation for a 0-9 D10 verses a 1-10.... but 0-9 numbering is by far the most common numbering for a D10, and you can decide whether the 0 is a 10 or 0 depending on the game rules.

As pointed out, the 10-00 number dice is usually used in conjunction with a 0-9 dice and together they are known as a D100 , or percentile dice.

dr bartolo
759888.  Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:06 pm Reply with quote

what about theese?

they were made by bored jailbirds, and if you are as bored as them, the method is as follows:
http://www.temporaryservices.org/dice.html
BTW, theese things are not exactly fair, but then, beggars must not be choosers
here are some more prisoner inventions:
http://www.temporaryservices.org/pi_overview.html

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next