View previous topic | View next topic

Dice

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

bgkdavis
759591.  Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:55 am Reply with quote

antonyg wrote:
When I posted my first message, I never suspected that it would generate so many responses, of such variety.

May I suggest that, with bgkdavis's learned input, and the replies it generated, this topic has more or less run its course.

Except to say again, as Tom (tchrist) wishes, that a d10 is not a regular polyhedron.

oooh I wouldn't say that the topic of dice has entirely run its course, as has been correctly pointed out there is a whole world of non numeric dice...

Interestingly a couple of people have used the D10, and D4 notation for describing dice.... I deliberatly avoided this notation because it can get misleading, as the Dnn notation refers to the number range and not the the number of sides.... there are actually 8 sided D4s, 20 sided d10s and 6 sided d3s

This means that to the pedant the repeated statement "A d10 is not a regular polyhedron.", is actually incorrect, yes a 10 sided dice is not one of the platonic solids and not a regular polyhedron, but there are actually 20 sided d10s, and a 20 sided polyhedron is one of the platonic solids

...BTW maybe I should mention I actually posses a pretty large collection of dice, at last count there were about 1,500 generic dice, and if you discount those that differ solely by size and colour I have about 200 of unique shape and numbering, and that's not including the non generic dice, ie dice that are uniquely designed for a specific game.

mckeonj
759603.  Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:54 am Reply with quote

Not dice in the strict sense of being a member of the regular polyhedra; but I recall a popular game in my schooldays was called HOWZTHAT. It was a dicing game based on cricket, the 'dice' were two short lengths od hexagon section steel bar, one engraved with numbers of runs 0 1 2 3 4 6; the other with words describing decisions. The other requirement was a cricket score sheet. This game could be bought, or improvised by cutting up a pencil.

This is not to be confused with HOWZAT, which is an online multiplayer real action game.*
http://howzat.com/

*Not SPAM, added by me for disambiguation

Celebaelin
759604.  Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:56 am Reply with quote

mckeonj wrote:
The purpose of this die is not known, my guess is that it was used for divination rather than gaming.

suze
759692.  Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:35 pm Reply with quote

bgkdavis wrote:
I deliberatly avoided this notation because it can get misleading, as the Dnn notation refers to the number range and not the the number of sides.... there are actually 8 sided D4s, 20 sided d10s and 6 sided d3s.

What, then, ought to be the nomenclature for the ten sided die which is numbered from 0 to 9?

Ameena
759747.  Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:10 pm Reply with quote

One of those kinds of d10s (the single-digit, 0-9 ones) could also technically be referred to as a "units" die, I suppose, since it serves as the units for rolling a "d100"...not a literal, 100-sided die, but two d10ss, one numbered from 10-00 (or 00-10 if you prefer), and the other numbered, as mentioned, 1-0 or 0-9).

bgkdavis
759826.  Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:46 am Reply with quote

I'm not aware of a special designation for a 0-9 D10 verses a 1-10.... but 0-9 numbering is by far the most common numbering for a D10, and you can decide whether the 0 is a 10 or 0 depending on the game rules.

As pointed out, the 10-00 number dice is usually used in conjunction with a 0-9 dice and together they are known as a D100 , or percentile dice.

dr bartolo
759888.  Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:06 pm Reply with quote

what about theese?

they were made by bored jailbirds, and if you are as bored as them, the method is as follows:
http://www.temporaryservices.org/dice.html
BTW, theese things are not exactly fair, but then, beggars must not be choosers
here are some more prisoner inventions:
http://www.temporaryservices.org/pi_overview.html

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2