View previous topic | View next topic

Dice

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

antonyg
754214.  Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:09 am Reply with quote

On page 133 of the second book of general ignorance it says "And forty-two is also the number of dots on a single dice..."
No it isn't, it's the number of dots on a pair of dice. Moreover, the word for just one is 'die' not 'dice'.

suze
754252.  Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:07 am Reply with quote

You are of course absolutely right to note that the number of spots on one of those objects is twenty one, not forty two.

As for whether one such object is called a die or a dice, that's less clear cut - it has been noted that the OED now accepts the use of dice as singular. I'd quite like the singular to be a douse, but it isn't.

Jenny
754290.  Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:44 am Reply with quote

Hi antonyg - I'm moving this topic to the Forum of General Ignorance, where I think it is better placed.

dr bartolo
758647.  Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:17 am Reply with quote

as another interesting fact, all fair dice should have the pips (dots) on opposing sides add up to seven
(braces for klaxon)
oh, and there is this quite interesting fact about chinese dice is that the one and four are painted red, the rest usually picked out in blue. but in japan, only the one is coloured red, the rest being black.

monzac
758723.  Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:01 am Reply with quote

G'day antonyg and welcome :)

suze wrote:
As for whether one such object is called a die or a dice, that's less clear cut - it has been noted that the OED now accepts the use of dice as singular. I'd quite like the singular to be a douse, but it isn't.

And it would be nice if the plural for spouse were spice.

bgkdavis
759520.  Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:37 pm Reply with quote

dr bartolo wrote:
as another interesting fact, all fair dice should have the pips (dots) on opposing sides add up to seven
(braces for klaxon)

And brace you might....

I guess your real error here is the incorrect use of absolutes, its impossible for ALL dice to have sides that ad up to 7, because you are in fact only talking about 6 sided dice and have failed to take into account 4,5,7,8,10,12,20,30,100, and many other side dice.

Of those dice quoted above most are regular polyhedrons, the 4 sided dice is interesting because its a tetrahedron, and its unique as a platonic solid in that when you roll it you never have a flat side upwards to display a number, instead you read the base to obtain the rolled number.

5 sided 'dice' may be a misnomer because its really a cylinder, a kind of pentagonal prism.

The 7 sided dice is interesting because its basically a short pentagonal prism like the 5 sided dice, but in addition to the 5 numbers around the edge you also have the two faces, being an irregular shape its easy to suspect it of having some preference to one side or another, but its been designed and balanced in such a way that it is actually pretty random.

suze
759525.  Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:00 pm Reply with quote

The opposite faces of a D20 add to 21, which I suppose is what you'd expect. The opposite faces of a D10 add to 11, except for the pair that don't.

Ameena
759534.  Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:50 pm Reply with quote

May I just point out that you don't always read the base of a d4 to get the number - some of them have the numbers at the corners rather than in the middle of the sides, in which case you look at the number which is on top of the die when it's rolled.

Celebaelin
759545.  Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:29 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
The opposite faces of a D20 add to 21, which I suppose is what you'd expect. The opposite faces of a D10 add to 11, except for the pair that don't.

A d10 is not a regular polyhedron.

Celebaelin
759544.  Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:29 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:

tchrist
759557.  Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:50 pm Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
suze wrote:

You can say that again!

--tom

antonyg
759576.  Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:16 am Reply with quote

When I posted my first message, I never suspected that it would generate so many responses, of such variety.

May I suggest that, with bgkdavis's learned input, and the replies it generated, this topic has more or less run its course.

Except to say again, as Tom (tchrist) wishes, that a d10 is not a regular polyhedron.

dr bartolo
759578.  Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:22 am Reply with quote

bgkdavis wrote:
dr bartolo wrote:
(braces for klaxon)

And brace you might....

I guess your real error here is the incorrect use of absolutes, its impossible for ALL dice to have sides that ad up to 7, because you are in fact only talking about 6 sided dice and have failed to take into account 4,5,7,8,10,12,20,30,100, and many other side dice.

you cleverly spotted out my mistake...
oh , stepping aside from numbered dice for a moment, there is this game called "crown and anchor" - played with a 6 sided die with symbols rather than pips.
well, there is an orental version , which has gourd, castenet, coin, cockerel, prawn and fish. I 'm not shore what it's called, though

masterfroggy
759580.  Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:30 am Reply with quote

dr bartolo wrote:

well, there is an orental version , which has gourd, castenet, coin, cockerel, prawn and fish. I 'm not shore what it's called, though

Hoo Hey How

mckeonj
759586.  Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:34 am Reply with quote

Roman Dice with 20 faces

The symbols on this die are the letters of the Greek alphabet.
It is worth noting that educated Romans could read and write Greek as well as Latin.
The purpose of this die is not known, my guess is that it was used for divination rather than gaming.
The article from which this picture comes is at:
http://www.luxuo.com/most-expensive/dice.html

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next