View previous topic | View next topic

When did the Dark Ages begin?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Ian Dunn
754442.  Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:31 am Reply with quote

nitwit02 wrote:
No, it was the day that Stephen Harper became Prime Minister of Canada.


Why what did he do?

 
Posital
754453.  Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:45 am Reply with quote

How could they know? Unless their timepiece had a backlight...

 
PDR
754462.  Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:16 am Reply with quote

It was definitely last Tuesday - around 15:45BST.

PDR

 
zomgmouse
754505.  Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:11 am Reply with quote

The practice of making enclosures in a certain Indian city is a long-standing one. This is why they are known worldwide as the Dhar cages.

 
suze
754551.  Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:53 am Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
Why what did he do?


Be an obnoxious politician of the further right, who talks about God rather a lot and in general belongs in Texas rather than in Canada. And become Prime Minister despite less than one quarter of Canadians voting for his party, and only one province actually wanting him as Prime Minister. That's just for starters ...

 
Ian Dunn
754566.  Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:53 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Ian Dunn wrote:
Why what did he do?


Be an obnoxious politician of the further right, who talks about God rather a lot and in general belongs in Texas rather than in Canada. And become Prime Minister despite less than one quarter of Canadians voting for his party, and only one province actually wanting him as Prime Minister. That's just for starters ...


Well, at least some people voted for him unlike Gordon Brown.

 
Ion Zone
754700.  Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote

If I remember, the medieval 'Dark Ages' are actually a myth resultant from nostalgia for the Greek\Roman period. The actual phrase comes from a poem.

 
ali
754704.  Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:


Well, at least some people voted for him unlike Gordon Brown.


or Winston Churchill.

 
Zebra57
754723.  Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:44 pm Reply with quote

ali wrote:
Ian Dunn wrote:


Well, at least some people voted for him unlike Gordon Brown.


or Winston Churchill.


Churchill did win an election in 1951

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/october/26/newsid_3687000/3687425.stm

 
PDR
754728.  Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:05 pm Reply with quote

Ion Zone wrote:
If I remember, the medieval 'Dark Ages' are actually a myth resultant from nostalgia for the Greek\Roman period. The actual phrase comes from a poem.


Actually I was under the impression that they were called the dark ages because it was ...ummm...dark!

The tree ring records show it as a period when little growth took place, and the ice-core records show a layer of ash. It has been suggested that it may well have been the consequence of a "mega-volcano" erruption wheich essentially turned out the lights for a while.

PDR

 
nitwit02
754741.  Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:26 pm Reply with quote

Due to the time difference Ian, suze got to answer your question before I got the chance - but, she put it in a nutshell.

 
zomgmouse
754781.  Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:18 am Reply with quote

Ion Zone wrote:
If I remember, the medieval 'Dark Ages' are actually a myth resultant from nostalgia for the Greek\Roman period. The actual phrase comes from a poem.

More accurately, the "dark ages" or "middle ages" were used as negative labels by later historians who believed that theirs was the "true" age and that those before it were just connecting phases from the "classical" era without any development/culture/&c.
There's never really been any agreement as to when they started and ended. Reading back over my notes from the first medieval history lecture this semester, I have:
Quote:
- The Middle Ages/Dark Ages
o Future historians gave these times their negative connotations
 Francesco Petrarca (Petrarch) (1304-1374)
 B.C. vs A.D. reversed (dark becomes light, light becomes dark)
• Dismissive of past culture
• Dark Ages = time without culture, according to historians of the time
o Disagreement as to chronological boundaries of the Dark Ages
 Domenico Bandini of Arezzo
• 100 years
 Leonardo Bruni
• 700 years (from the Fall of Rome to the 1300s)
• “first modern historian”
o Not dependent on Christianity
 Flavio Biondo
• First to call the period the “middle ages” (medium aevum)
• 1000 years (412-1412)

Apologies for the symbol failure (I'm copying from MS Word).

 
ali
754785.  Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:30 am Reply with quote

Zebra57 wrote:
ali wrote:
Ian Dunn wrote:


Well, at least some people voted for him unlike Gordon Brown.


or Winston Churchill.


Churchill did win an election in 1951


True, and Brown may yet come back and win one (I'm not going to hold my breath though); but the point is that if Brown didn't have a mandate when he was PM then neither did Churchill in 1940-45 - and the real point is that nobody ever votes for PM, because the system doesn't work like that.

 
T J Alex
891228.  Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote

Dark Ages and Middle ages are completely different periods.

The Dark Ages followed the fall of Rome and preceded the Middle Ages.

 
Norman Castle
905624.  Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:19 pm Reply with quote

The dark ages began when the knights drew in.

 

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group