View previous topic | View next topic

Great Program/shame about the research

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

garf
32637.  Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:50 am Reply with quote

Henry Ford never said "Any color so long as it's black"
Qi States that their is no catagorical, documented proof that he actually said it.

That may well be true, but I would contend,that would be true of most quote and about 95% of historical quotations made before recorded sound.

Qi states Why would he say it if originally Model T's were available in many colours.

True again, as stated in the program.
But black enamel paint was cheaper, more abundent and dried much quicker than the alternatives, allowing for cheaper,faster production.

"Lenin was not Russian" From Qi's website

How can you jusify that one? If you are born in Russia to Russian parents then you ARE Russian.

If a program sets out to debunk preconcieved myths it should be 100% spot on. Looking at all the other corrections and threads QI is not a reliable source for winning pub arguements like Snopes.com

Mostly Harmless
32641.  Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:00 am Reply with quote

Last edited by Mostly Harmless on Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total

magic sophie
32644.  Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:09 am Reply with quote

Look on the QI Philosophy bit.. there are those exact words!!!

www.qi.com/about/philosophy.php

it says those exact words is the 10th paragraph!!!!

Have a magical day!

MS

Mostly Harmless
32653.  Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:45 am Reply with quote

Last edited by Mostly Harmless on Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total

djgordy
32658.  Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:15 pm Reply with quote

Perhaps they meant he wasn't rushing.

Kevino7
32660.  Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:28 pm Reply with quote

Wow, QI must be terrile for 4 or 5 mistakes. Give me a break...

eggshaped
32661.  Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:32 pm Reply with quote

Iím sure the elf responsible for the Lenin quote will give a full explanation soon, but I wonder if the quote was referring to Leninís ethnicity. I donít think there is much doubt that he was born in Russia.

Looking around the net, it seems to be accepted that he was one-quarter Chuvash, one-quarter Kalmyk, one-quarter German, and one-quarter Jewish. (some places say he was helf-german, others replace Turkish for Chuvash - but a quick search will show many sites which question his Russian ethnicity)

However IMHO itís a bit picky to say someone who was born in Russia was not Russian, irrespective of their ethnic origins. If he was still around, he would surely be eligible to play for the Russian Beach-Volleyball team.

On the other hand, Stalin was not Russian (Georgian), neither was Trotsky (Ukranian) and indeed Catherine the Great was born in modern day Poland, and Nicolai Gogol was also Ukranian, all these are often thought of as Russian thanks to the conglomeration of states which was the USSR.

Finally on the subject of Henry Fordís (mis)quote, Flash has covered this here:post 32211

I think the quote by the Henry Ford museum is pretty damning, but QI is meant to encourage debate and question "common knowledge" and your point about historical quotes being difficult to nail down is certainly a decent one in my opinion.

JumpingJack
32669.  Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:41 pm Reply with quote

Thanks eggshaped.

JumpingJack
32674.  Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:54 pm Reply with quote

We said we couldn't find any evidence that Henry Ford ever said of the Model T: "You can have any colour you like so long as it's black" and we couldn't.

Nor could we find any reason why he would have said it if, right from the beginning, the cars were made in a range of different colours.

Shame about the research?

In what regard?

JumpingJack
32678.  Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:08 pm Reply with quote

The statement "Lenin was not Russian" appears a string of one liners in the QI Philosophy section, the intention of which is simply to show that the world is much more complicated than it seems.

It is not intended to be the answer to an exam question.

Quote:
Eskimos do not rub noses. The rickshaw was invented by an American. Joan of Arc was not French. Lenin was not Russian. The world is not solid, it is made of empty space and energy, and neither haggis, whisky, porridge, clan tartans nor kilts are Scottish.

Clearly, you can easily pick holes in any of these statements if you so choose, but they are not meant to be taken as the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Nothing is ever that simple Ė the same point that garf rightly makes about the attribution of quotations.

JumpingJack
32693.  Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:46 pm Reply with quote

As eggshaped pointed out, even a cursory Google by a quite interested party can easily find out that Lenin had a complex, mixed and not wholly verifiable ethnicity.

Serious researchers, though, assert that Lenin was German-Jewish-Kalmyk-Russian by ancestry, though the Kalmyk (Mongol) element in his blood dominated his physical appearance.

The information was originally drawn from the QI database which has a number of entries under the heading 'nationality' showing that, for example, Wellington wasn't English (he was Irish), neither Napoleon nor Joan of Arc were French (he was Corsican and she was from Alsace-Lorraine) that, as eggshaped points out, the leaders of the Russian Revolution, though they all lived in Russia, were far from being pure Russians.

Only one of Lenin's grandparents was Russian (his paternal grandfather) and though Lenin was born in Russia, where you are born doesn't necessarily prove anything Ė your ethnicity,the language you speak or what you call yourself may all be something else.

I wouldn't call myself Russian, for example, if I had one Russian grandparent.

Flash
32717.  Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:50 pm Reply with quote

I think this is a very heartening thread, because garf has up his sleeve a list of quotations which are inextricably linked with well-known people in the public consciousness, but for the authenticity of which there is actually NO evidence, and in a couple of minutes he's going to post them, and earn a round of applause.

I can't hardly wait, me.

Mostly Harmless
32724.  Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:14 pm Reply with quote

JumpingJack
32787.  Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:52 pm Reply with quote

<standing ovation>

laidbacklazyman
32805.  Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:31 am Reply with quote

Mostly harmless wrote:

As I understand it, QI exists because the people who make it happen both on this board and elsewhere are curious about what is Quite Interesting, and to that end a lot of resources are used to share what we find to be so.
If you find something here you can challenge, by all means do so but then we expect you to provide your own research as verification. It's a two-way process. Take time to read what gets posted here and join in properly; I'm still new myself and I've found it very much worth my time.

Two points excelently raised, if you take a look here Piers Fletcher gives an insight into what is and isn't QI, it seems that Garf has taken the view that the show is the exact opposite of what it is, I would reckon he/she has probabley only seen the show once or twice and formed an opinion about the QI attitude on that basis.

It's obvious that the poster hasnt even bothered to look round the board/site, there is a list of the sources regularly used by the researchers, amongst others Snopes is included. So are a number of other renowned encyclopedic sites, all of which would give credence to any "pub argument". The research that we see here is only a small part of what makes up the show so I would suggest you take a little look into the background before trying to debunk an entire thinking ethos with little or no research.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next