68%  [ 11 ]
Never seen it
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 16

jonp
755135.  Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:21 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
I like 10 point Ariel - I find it much more readable than 10 point Times New Roman, which is my Word program's default font.

Jenny, do you know that you can change the default font to whatever your heart desires? Open up a new document, change to the font of your choosing, and save the (otherwise blank) document as "normal.dot" - which is the standard template that Word uses when it starts up. When the dialog box comes up, click on "replace" to overide the previous template.

Back on track - our managing partner used Comic Sans on our business cards. I'm not normally prissy, but I refused to hand them out.

hassan el kebir
755165.  Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:50 am Reply with quote

Nobody's complained about Matisse yet, it's far worse than Comic Sans or Papyrus

Jenny
755168.  Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:59 am Reply with quote

Thank you jonp - I didn't know that! I've done it now.

I don't suppose you know how to do that in Publisher do you?

jonp
755188.  Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:05 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
I don't suppose you know how to do that in Publisher do you?
'Yere 'tis

MinervaMoon
755196.  Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:04 pm Reply with quote

exnihilo wrote:
For what it's worth, mine was written in Bookman Old Style with Gill Sans for the footnote, endnote numbering and other embellishments. No reason on Earth why you should stick to just one.

Sounds very nice. My CV is in my beloved Georgia, with a Cochin header, and Copperplate titles.

zomgmouse
755303.  Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote

I quite like using the font "Minion Pro".

samivel
755368.  Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:03 am Reply with quote

I also used Bookman Old Style for my university essays, although that was mainly because most of the handouts we were given came in that font.

My CV is mainly in Bookman as well. With MS Reference Serif titles. Just 'cause I can.

jonp
755376.  Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:29 am Reply with quote

When I was a typesetter, I was taught to use no more than two fonts in a document - but only up to two.

One - I was told - should be serif, and one sans.

The trick was that one style should be used for headers, and one for body. It was important not to mix the two styles within the body of the text.

It's always worked for me.

monzac
755394.  Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:09 am Reply with quote

When people use too many fonts, sizes and so on the results look like ransom notes :(

I found it, thanks :)

Last edited by monzac on Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:23 am; edited 2 times in total

MinervaMoon
755402.  Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:18 am Reply with quote

monzac wrote:
When people use too many fonts, sizes and so on the results look like ransom notes :(

My (ancient) Ancient G(r)eek professor was notorious for somehow banging every formatting button on his computer after he broke his arm. Here's an email he once sent to my good friend. At least it seemed settle down by the end.

monzac wrote:
jonp, I've tried resetting my default Word setting, but I can't see where to click on 'replace', even in a folder called Templates.

If you type in the new file name and extension and try to save it, it should ask you if you want to override the previous file.

jonp
755429.  Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:36 am Reply with quote

monzac wrote:
jonp, I've tried resetting my default Word setting, but I can't see where to click on 'replace', even in a folder called Templates.

Whoops, sorry - that's what you get for working from memory, rather than looking it up.
Either type in "normal.dot" to the save dialog, or just click the "close window" button before you've named the file - you'll be invited to name it, so that's the point to stick the "normal.dot" filename in. Either way, you should be asked if you want to replace the existing file.

Jenny
755557.  Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:23 pm Reply with quote

Thanks jonp - much appreciated!

monzac
755651.  Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:49 pm Reply with quote

Thanks.

What I got was for reading 'normal.dot' as 'normal.doc', so I changed the default under each of the style options. It's left me with no space at the top of the page. I'll fix it when I go home, because I don't have my own computer here at work.

monzac
755660.  Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:20 am Reply with quote

Done :)

Thanks.

'yorz
755714.  Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:56 am Reply with quote

I'm sure someone can help me find an example of wedding invites/funeral booklets rendered totally unreadable by writing the entire text in very elaborate capitals - kinda pseudo classical fonts.
Infuriating.

Last edited by 'yorz on Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next