68%  [ 11 ]
Never seen it
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 16

Neotenic
753898.  Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:50 am Reply with quote

Quote:
I guess I must have missed the class that said that working 23 hour days and going at it like rabbits was the height of human happiness?

I have no quarrel on the former, but one the latter - quite frankly, you must be doing it wrong.

samivel
753945.  Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:55 am Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
samivel wrote:
Neotenic wrote:
I can't help but think that font rage is brought about by a number of factors;

- a surfeit of available time
- an absence of any serious problems (or perhaps an absence of desire to deal with serious problems)
- a paucity of sexual partners

And an excess of rantiness. Wonder if bob's signed up?

If you were paying attention samivel - you'd notice that I don't "sign up" for anything. I can make up my own mind, although thank you for the offer to join your group.

If you were paying attention bob - you'd notice that I wasn't asking you in all seriousness. You can indeed make up your own mind, although thank you for assuming I would want you in any group of mine.

djgordy
753959.  Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:21 am Reply with quote

Gentlemen, please choose your handbags, stand back to back, walk 40 paces forward, turn and fire.

Ion Zone
754706.  Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:02 pm Reply with quote

Neotenic
754757.  Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:58 am Reply with quote

I tried writing in bamboo, but all my work kept on being eaten by pandas.

strawhat
754818.  Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:59 am Reply with quote

I quite like the new default font on Microsoft office, it's easy to read, but formal enough to write essays and such with.

suze
754894.  Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:44 pm Reply with quote

I think you mean Calibri. In which case, ugh.

I see that font quite a lot since it is the default in more recent versions of MS Office, but it looks horrible on paper. There seems to be a feeling that sans serif fonts are preferable for reading on screen - and you'll note that these forums use a sans font (Verdana). But to me, printed work in a sans font smacks of primary school.

MinervaMoon
754900.  Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:27 pm Reply with quote

I agree. A 10-pt Verdana is not bad, but the default Calibri looks pretty juvenile. Georgia is much finer for printed work; it's widely available but less ordinary than Times New Roman.

strawhat
754918.  Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:10 pm Reply with quote

It's better than Ariel, what seems to be the default font for all our lecture handouts.

Calibri is useful when you know that dyslexics will be reading your work.

Jenny
754926.  Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:22 pm Reply with quote

I like 10 point Ariel - I find it much more readable than 10 point Times New Roman, which is my Word program's default font. I think it's clear and easy to read, and it has no primary school overtones for me.

Ion Zone
754975.  Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:15 pm Reply with quote

I don't like Ariel much.

Last edited by Ion Zone on Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

suze
754978.  Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:31 pm Reply with quote

strawhat wrote:
It's better than Ariel, what seems to be the default font for all our lecture handouts.

It is better than Arial, yes.

strawhat wrote:
Calibri is useful when you know that dyslexics will be reading your work.

The jury is very much out on that. For sure, the suggestion that people with dyslexia find sans fonts easier to read is often made. But the reverse suggestion is nearly as often made, and such research has been done into the matter has been inconclusive.

Note, for instance, that in some sans fonts the upper case <I> and the lower case <l> are identical. (Not in Verdana, which does use serifs on <I>). Or note that it can be hard to tell between <rn> and <m> - more than once, I've seen posters on these forums refer to a mysterious gentleman named "sarnivel".

The I/l thing will usually be resolved by context. But the rn/m one may not be. If a student of mine had had an accident while cooking, telling her she had a nice burn might be seen as an expression of sympathy. If I told a student she had a nice bum, I'd be in shitloads of trouble.

RLDavies
755080.  Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:53 am Reply with quote

I've had fonts on the brain lately. Have been going through my (excessive) font collection, trying to sort out where each one came from and what sort of licence I have for it.

Also trying to make up PDF lists of the fonts by classification, so they can be more easily compared. Which means I've been brushing up on typeface classification. I was going to post the list of general typeface classes here, but it does tend to go on rather, so I won't unless someone asks.

exnihilo
755105.  Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:05 am Reply with quote

I detest Calibri, and Arial for that matter. I detest sans serif fonts, better on screen they may be but try reading a dozen essays or - worse - a thesis written in them.

For what it's worth, mine was written in Bookman Old Style with Gill Sans for the footnote, endnote numbering and other embellishments. No reason on Earth why you should stick to just one.

RLDavies
755124.  Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:42 am Reply with quote

Comic Sans and Papyrus are the most abused of all fonts. So much so that the website Your Logo Makes Me Barf has tags for them.

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next