View previous topic | View next topic

What's in a font

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next


Is comic sans the font of the Devil?
Yes
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
No
68%
 68%  [ 11 ]
Never seen it
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 16

scoot
753543.  Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:58 am Reply with quote

I stumbled accross this on the BBC today. Is comic sans really so bad? I use it for posters etc. and find it friendly and welcoming. Obviously I would not use it for letters but, I do receive charity request letters typed in it and it really does not bother me.

 
zomgmouse
753550.  Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:21 am Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiqua%E2%80%93Fraktur_dispute

 
Neotenic
753554.  Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:28 am Reply with quote

I can't help but think that font rage is brought about by a number of factors;

- a surfeit of available time
- an absence of any serious problems (or perhaps an absence of desire to deal with serious problems)
- a paucity of sexual partners

 
djgordy
753559.  Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:47 am Reply with quote

I knew a typesetter who wouldn't let his children be baptised because he didn't think the priest was using the right font.

 
scoot
753560.  Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:50 am Reply with quote

djgordy that has to be one of the best one liners I have seen in ages. Thank you for a great and much needed belly laugh. :D

 
barbados
753579.  Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:45 am Reply with quote

[pedant]
It actually looks like a two liner to me
[/pedant]

 
samivel
753592.  Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:30 am Reply with quote

Neotenic wrote:
I can't help but think that font rage is brought about by a number of factors;

- a surfeit of available time
- an absence of any serious problems (or perhaps an absence of desire to deal with serious problems)
- a paucity of sexual partners


And an excess of rantiness. Wonder if bob's signed up?

 
Neotenic
753593.  Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:30 am Reply with quote

I knew a typesetter who wouldn't let his children be baptised because he didn't think the priest was using the right font.

Better, barb?

;-)

 
RLDavies
753641.  Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:24 am Reply with quote

Comic Sans, like any other typeface, is good or bad depending on context.

It was designed for use in children's educational materials as a friendly and very easy-to-read typeface, and one they could copy when learning to write. When used for purposes like this, it's a good choice.

When used for official forms and "Professional Plaza" signage, it's a bad choice.

 
Untutored Eye
753646.  Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:53 am Reply with quote

It's better than idiots who use the wrong size.

 
cornixt
753661.  Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:37 am Reply with quote

All fonts should be used appropriately. Comic Sans and Papyrus are the most inappropriately used. It just looks wrong, like using bold type all the time.

 
Strawberry
753713.  Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quote

i've heard of comic sans before but didn't know what it looked like.

 
PhillyDave
753739.  Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:07 pm Reply with quote

Is the answer holy water? :)

 
MinervaMoon
753768.  Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:43 pm Reply with quote

cornixt wrote:
All fonts should be used appropriately. Comic Sans and Papyrus are the most inappropriately used. It just looks wrong, like using bold type all the time.

Papyrus Watch and Ban Comic Sans are websites that are pretty dedicated to their respective causes. There was a bit of a to-do when Avatar was released last year and the major font it used was Papyrus.

 
bobwilson
753865.  Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:24 am Reply with quote

samivel wrote:
Neotenic wrote:
I can't help but think that font rage is brought about by a number of factors;

- a surfeit of available time
- an absence of any serious problems (or perhaps an absence of desire to deal with serious problems)
- a paucity of sexual partners


And an excess of rantiness. Wonder if bob's signed up?


If you were paying attention samivel - you'd notice that I don't "sign up" for anything. I can make up my own mind, although thank you for the offer to join your group.

I assume that Neo's list is meant to be a criticism (or a belittling) - although quite what's wrong with having a surfeit of time or a paucity of sexual partners is lost on me I'm afraid. I guess I must have missed the class that said that working 23 hour days and going at it like rabbits was the height of human happiness?

 

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group