View previous topic | View next topic

amount of hippo-teeth

Page 1 of 1

Rubinsky
753028.  Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:11 pm Reply with quote

Admittedly, I was waiting a little about making this thread because it may appear as if I have something to argue every single episode.

But since no-one did, here I am!

In the last episode [animals starting with H] Stephen asks 'How many teeth does a hippo have?'. Sean shares a little anecdote how his daughter asked him the same question - after which they looked it up, and he gives the answer of at least 40. Alan a little later says 'there is two at the top and two at the bottom'. Stephen replies 'That's it'.

So I suppose this is going to be about the definition of teeth or something similar -- however as a simple layman, I would agree with Sean. Let me illustrate [note I gave the links in code-tags instead of image, to keep the post read-able]:

Code:
http://animalsneedkisses.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/hippo-yawn.jpg

As anyone probably remembers, the 'horn' or a rhino is made of hair [was in this episode]. Due to that, you can not see a rhino had a horn from it's skeleton. One might thus assume the case it similar here - that what appear to be smaller teeth are made of a different substance and will not show up in its skeleton. Therefore, let me include the following picture as well:

Code:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/71/Hippo_skull_dark.jpg

So where does my reasoning go south? Those are pictures of respectively a hippo and a hippo-skull. We can all count to 4 and see this appears to fall into the category of 'more than 4'.

samivel
753039.  Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote

Rubinsky wrote:
Admittedly, I was waiting a little about making this thread because it may appear as if I have something to argue every single episode.

But since no-one did, here I am!

Errr, actually...

Rubinsky
753152.  Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:08 am Reply with quote

I stand corrected.

When I searched for possible topics, I only looked at H Series Talk, Quite Interestrings and The Forum of Animal Ignorance -- as only those appeared to be logical places for a possible correction. Turns out I should've searched the whole forum.

Page 1 of 1