View previous topic | View next topic

Help me I'm stuck on a tropical Island in Canada

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Nanoose
977421.  Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:54 pm Reply with quote

Hello I live on Vancouver Island it's very nice here but because I have a fear of flying and I get sea sick on a pond I'm stuck here until they build a bridge. Anyway how I see the World and talk to people from other cultures is through the Internet. Cheers!

'yorz
977423.  Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:59 pm Reply with quote

Hi Nanoose - sorry to hear about your plight. But in any case - welcome :-)

Zebra57
977426.  Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:15 pm Reply with quote

Hi Nanoose, when is a bridge likely to be built?

Nanoose
977430.  Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:29 pm Reply with quote

There probably won't be a bridge built in my life time (it would be very expensive) but that's ok because I got a bit of a fear of heights so I probably would'nt use it anyway. Cheers!

Last edited by Nanoose on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

suze
977432.  Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:36 pm Reply with quote

It's not.

The idea has been around for well over one hundred years. But at the location which is most often suggested, a bridge across the Georgia Strait would need to be sixteen miles long, which is at the very edge of feasibility given the geology. (Notably, that the area is prone to earthquakes.)

Last time a serious costing was made, the BC government reckoned that a bridge would cost $12 billion. That's fifty years' worth of operating costs for the several ferries which ply between Vancouver Island and the mainland. And BC doesn't have that sort of money going spare - it would have to be federally funded (no chance) or privately funded, and if it were privately funded the tolls would inevitably be prohibitive.

And furthermore, there is in theory a law in force which prohibits the building of any bridge or tunnel across the Georgia Strait. Yes, it could probably be repealed, but that would be even more politically charged than the project itself.

nitwit02
977433.  Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:41 pm Reply with quote

Of course, if those poor folks in BC had any brains, they would be thinking of a solution akin to the channel tunnel between UK and that other place.

Welcome Nanoose and greetings from Alberta.

suze
977435.  Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote

The seismic activity makes a fixed tunnel a non-starter. I once read that it would have to be so deep that only military divers would be allowed to build it, and as a result of the depth would have to be so long that the ferries would remain quicker. A floating tunnel is occasionally suggested, but no underwater floating tunnel has ever been built and the engineering fraternity is by no means convinced that it's possible.

A floating bridge would probably be the easiest and cheapest thing to build, but it would be by some distance the longest floating bridge ever built, and the anchor cables would have to be several miles long.

Oh yea, and hello to Nanoose. Fellow British Columbian here (from Vancouver), although I live in England. And just to be confusing, I'm actually in Spain right now.

CB27
977436.  Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote

I have a cheaper solution.

Get a loooong piece of rope, tie it down to the island with a few pegs, stretch it across to the mainland, then get everyone in Canada to pull the island closer.

Simples :)

BTW, welcome to the madhouse.

Oceans Edge
977443.  Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:44 pm Reply with quote

Welcome

o/~
waves from the other coast of Canada

zomgmouse
977454.  Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:53 pm Reply with quote

Hi there, Nanoose. Welcome to the forums. Sounds like you need someone to anaesthetise you and carry you away from the island.

Not that I'm offering.

Jenny
977670.  Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:08 am Reply with quote

Welcome Nanoose :-)

Nanoose of the north?

bemahan
977673.  Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:18 am Reply with quote

zomgmouse wrote:
Hi there, Nanoose. Welcome to the forums. Sounds like you need someone to anaesthetise you and carry you away from the island.

Not that I'm offering.

Be afraid, Nanoose. Be very afraid.

Hello! Welcome!

Strawberry
977676.  Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:19 am Reply with quote

Hi, Nanoose; welcome to QI.

Nanoose
977702.  Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:17 pm Reply with quote

I thank you all for the welcomes. Cheers!

monzac
977795.  Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:01 pm Reply with quote

G'day and welcome, Nanoose :)

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next