View previous topic | View next topic

Speed derived from footprint t8

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Rubinsky
758457.  Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:35 am Reply with quote

Very interesting! Also note how large their feet were!

Some of those men would currently have a hard time shopping for shoes ;D

SteveK
994720.  Wed May 08, 2013 7:05 am Reply with quote

I just watched a repeat of this episode and was excited when Stephen Fry said this had been discovered on the Gold Coast as I live not far from there and thought I'd go and have a look! But the Willandra Lakes Region is nowhere near the Gold Coast!

As to the deduced speed of T8, I say that it is complete crap.

Webb, in his first article, says that the stride length of T8 increased from 1.8m to 1.9m, indicating acceleration. This was obtained from 7 footprints over a distance of 11m.

Why then, is there no explanation as to the huge discrepancy in his second article? After excavating more of the site, he says that a further 4 footprints of T8 were found, taking the track from 7 steps to 11. Yet the stride length is suddenly stated to be 3.73m!!! If, in the first 7 steps, this person accelerated from a stride length of 1.8m to 1.9m, he must have strapped on a jet pack to go from 1.9m to 3.73m in the next 4 steps!

Methinks someone else needs to check these footprints before we sully the name of Usain Bolt!

Sadurian Mike
994740.  Wed May 08, 2013 8:02 am Reply with quote

I imagine that the steps 1-7 and 8-11 were all that was left of a longer trail, and that some were erased.

SteveK
994920.  Thu May 09, 2013 1:30 am Reply with quote

That's obviously true Sadurian Mike but it does not explain how Webb came up with a stride length of 3.73m.

Sadurian Mike
994969.  Thu May 09, 2013 7:06 am Reply with quote

They are working on the data they have. The stride length is a calculation based on a few pieces of data, and to have mucked with the data to get a better 'fit' would have been unscientific.

A 6ft modern sprinter is reckoned to have an average stride length of about 2.5m, so a particularly tall and strong individual might make the 3m mark. Yes, it is unusual, but that's what the data throws up.

After all, the first person to find the bones of Diplodocus probably thought that it couldn't possibly have been that long.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2