View previous topic | View next topic

Batman 'sound' effects

Page 1 of 1

Greggsy
749570.  Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:37 pm Reply with quote

Was rather titillated by a list recently seen of all the daft 'noises' used in the '60s Batman TV series - I'm sure you all know what I mean, the one where every time Batman punched someone the action would briefly pause while a gigantic *BIFF!* or *WHACK!* filled the screen. I mention this for a few reasons: partly because of the certain need for the OED to incorporate the words "zzzzzwap", "zlott" and "vronk" in the next edition; partly because of the entertaining quiz you can play where you guess all the interjections; but chiefly because I was tickled pink by the fact that among all the *SOCK*s and the *CRUNCH*es and the *KABLAM*s are three uses of *TOUCHE*. What manner of ultra-camp supervillain was on the receiving end of those karate chops?

Here's the full list by the way

Ion Zone
749581.  Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote

Foley has some interesting history. I remember that there was a sound effect on the original Doctor Who that required a couple of miles of echoing sewer to make (and almost everyone knows about the old key scraped along the piano wire to create the Tardis-effects).

According to Doctor Who confidential, the sound crew delight in sneaking in Radiophonics sounds from the old Doctor Who.

Sound studios are quite strange places, from what I've seen of DVD extras - actual 'sound machines' are very rare (though Disney still has ones from its first films and cartoons), mostly they play about with junk until they get the sound they want.

Zebra57
750541.  Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:22 pm Reply with quote

Adam West in an interview said that the budget for the programme was so tight that they would shoot endless scenes in the same locations. Sets were cheap and often fell down. There were numerous continuity mistakes if you looked for them.

Batman and Robin rush into the Commisioner's office

"The Penguin has escaped!" Next:

Batman and Robin rush into the Commisioner's office

"The Riddler has escaped!"

The "Thwacks" "Kapows" etc were to satisfy the anti-violence lobby (seriously)

West said that in the circumstances it was hardly surprising that Batman turned into one of the campest TV programmes ever made.

tetsabb
754472.  Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:38 am Reply with quote

I love the story of Spike Milligan putting in the script of a Goon Show that the sound effect should be that of a sock full of custard being hit against the wall.
He goes to the BBC canteen and asks if they can make him some custard. Custard is lovingly produced, and then, to the horror of the cook, it is poured into a sock and hit against a conveniently placed wall.
Milligan shakes his head, ruing that that is not how he expected it to sound, and walks off.

The man was a genius, but must have been hell to be around at times.

Zebra57
754585.  Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:11 am Reply with quote

One of Spike Milligan's crazy sketches "The Daleks at Home"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0n88tZQc4Q&feature=related

djgordy
754596.  Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:33 am Reply with quote

I can't see that on this computer because You-tube is blocked (I'm at the gym*) but if it is the "Pakistani Dalek" sketch I can only repeat what I have said before regrding it: Spike Milligan wasn't a genius, he was an unfunny racist shit.

*Yes, my personal trainer** says that posting on web sites constitutes a recognised cardio vascular work out equvalent to running a marathon dressed in a diver's suit in three hours.

**OK, imaginary personal trainer.

Page 1 of 1