View previous topic | View next topic

Disbolism

Page 1 of 1

Gremmyboo
749185.  Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:28 pm Reply with quote

Hi there,
I didn't know where else to go!! Please help! Can anyone tell me what the word 'Disbolism' means. Not being a doctor or anyone remotely near to this profession I came across this word in some literature which I did not understand. I proceeded to search the Internet - did a Google search, looked in medical dictionaries and normal dictionaries - and although I could find the word in use, nothing told me what it actually means. It's absolutely driving me crazy!! Please, Please help meeeeeee!
Thank you in advance

ali
749225.  Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote

I would guess that it is a misspelling of 'dysbolism'.

Sadurian Mike
749227.  Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote

Almost certainly so.

"Dys-" is the standard medical prefix for something that doesn't work properly so if you are describing a term connected with anything medical I would bet that "dys-" is the correct prefix.

"Dysbolism" is a condition that has a variety of causes and is therefore not unusual.

Jenny
749261.  Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:18 pm Reply with quote

The definition seems to be "abnormal, but not necessarily morbid, metabolism, as in alkaptonuria. "

Gremmyboo
749285.  Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:03 am Reply with quote

Hi there everyone,
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly - you guys are good! Haa haaa! That's a lot clearer now, thanks. But, do you know what is scary? Just how much it's used on the Internet but is incorrectly spelt - honestly! I don't know! Thanks again ;o)

Sadurian Mike
749346.  Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:33 am Reply with quote

We occasionally have whole threads about the importance of correct spelling and grammar!

CB27
749415.  Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:55 am Reply with quote

yeh, wot ee sed

Page 1 of 1