View previous topic | View next topic

Can someone fill in the gaps for me - "Truth wizards&qu

Page 1 of 1

KathyM
748770.  Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:46 am Reply with quote

Hi,

Just bobbed in because I watched last week's episode and as I was distracted by the kids I missed something that might really help me with one of my final year projects. I heard Stephen talk about "truth wizards" and the study of micro-expressions in lying, and although I have a fair bit of info collated on Ekman and the likes, I also half heard something about it being easier to detect lying on the phone than by facial expressions.

One of my uni projects is on critically evaluating whether the series "Lie to Me" is an accurate portrayal of lie detection in forensic psychology, and to approach this it would be really helpful to have the information debunking the micro-expression tactics (FACS and the likes) - I was hoping that the information behind the "easier to tell over the phone" would help in this?

If anyone can fill in the gaps for me that would be amazing!

Thanks in advance

Sadurian Mike
748776.  Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:57 am Reply with quote

The QI elves will almost certainly be able to let you know where their research led them. It's finding them and making them talk to you that is tricky.

KathyM
748777.  Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:03 am Reply with quote

Ahhh thanks very much for the heads up! They sound like the Scarlet Pimpernel!

busk31
748965.  Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:10 pm Reply with quote

...formerly known as Prince.

Flash
748967.  Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:20 pm Reply with quote

I don't think the script note will tell you much that you don't already know, Kathy, but here it is:
Quote:
Psychologists have tested over 20,000 subjects, showing them videos of people telling the truth and lying, and found that they performed no better than chance. A subgroup of so-called experts including polygraph operators, police investigators, judges and psychiatrists returned the same results. The truth is that liars don’t, as a rule, shift around uncomfortably, nervously play with their hands or avoid eye-contact. We fail to detect lies because we are basing our judgements on behaviours unrelated to deception.

More reliable signals are found in language. When Lying;
- Liars tend to say less and provide fewer details.
- Liars often try to psychologically distance themselves from their lies by including fewer references to themselves and their feelings.
- Liars tend not to admit memory lapse when it comes to relatively unimportant information. Instead they appear to develop incredible memories for made-up minutiae.
- Liars often pause and are more hesitant in speech.

In a 1994 British study, participants listening to lies and truths scored an impressive 73% accuracy rate in detection.

Dr Paul Ekman, a leading researcher into lie detection, believes that a select few (he found 50 out of 20,000 tested) have a natural ability to detect lies with an accuracy rate of at least 80%. He puts this down to the detection of involuntary facial ‘microexpressions’ that can last milliseconds. He has named these few, ‘Truth Wizards’, and hopes that by studying them we will learn more about lie-detection that can be transferred to fields such as airport security. At present, more conventional ‘behaviour detection’ is used in airport security and customs but it is a controversial practice that is subject to bias.

Spud McLaren
748986.  Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:17 pm Reply with quote

Flash wrote:

Quote:
- Liars tend to say less and provide fewer details.
- Liars often try to psychologically distance themselves from their lies by including fewer references to themselves and their feelings.
Oh, bugger. Looks as if I'll have some explaining to do.

tetsabb
749530.  Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:47 pm Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
Flash wrote:

Quote:

Oh, bugger. Looks as if I'll have some explaining to do.

Do you mean,
"Oh

bugger.

Looks as if

errrr

I'll

umm

have
etc.....

Page 1 of 1