View previous topic | View next topic

Crop circles

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

gruff5
814243.  Sat May 07, 2011 2:49 pm Reply with quote

Posital wrote:
I went to Avebury one summer... there were more crop circles than you could shake a stick at.

Isn't that how they make them? Shaking sticks in the crop?

bemahan
814272.  Sat May 07, 2011 6:03 pm Reply with quote

We were very excited a couple of days ago when we opened our bedroom curtains to see a crop triangle on the meadow-type area across the road from us. Closer inspection showed that the man on the mower from the council had done it.

Ainee
814288.  Sat May 07, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote

Posital's photo is excellent.

I once watched a crop circle form, within a few minutes. It wasn't the neatest of circles, but neither did Aliens seem to be involved.

Driving across the Suffolk grain prairies one afternoon, my friend and I pulled over to look more closely at a strange event in a field. The Farmer was sitting in his tractor watching it, and eating his sandwiches. Already several cars had pulled alongside the event, and a few more arrived as we all watched.

It was as though a tiny tornado was swirling on one spot, on the upslope of a ripe wheatfield, on a hot and sunny day. A narrow vortex of straws and chaff was rising above it, almost like smoke. What was left behind was a circle, with precise upright-stem edges, although not geometrically perfect.

I told my Glider-Pilot friend about it, and he said that no-one ever asks Glider pilots about crop-circles, but they form on the sunny upslopes, as this one had. That is where gliders aim, to gain uplifts.

bobwilson
814299.  Sat May 07, 2011 7:52 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
I told my Glider-Pilot friend about it, and he said that no-one ever asks Glider pilots about crop-circles, but they form on the sunny upslopes, as this one had.

I was taken by your tale until I read this paragraph. OKaaay - so there's this secret group known as "glider pilots" who have arcane knowledge - but for some unknown reason nobody ever bothers to ask them (and none of them have ever come forward to offer their expertise - presumably due to some loyalty oath?).

I suspect that your glider friend is trying to get into your pants with the promise of revealing the guild secrets Ainee

soup
814339.  Sun May 08, 2011 4:39 am Reply with quote

Ainee wrote:
they form on the sunny upslopes, as this one had. That is where gliders aim, to gain uplifts.

Here was me thinking thermals could form anywhere there was a change to different ground cover . Land/water tarmac pan/cropped area cropped area/forest. They don't necessarily form only on sunny upslopes .

Ainee
814413.  Sun May 08, 2011 8:23 am Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:

I suspect that your glider friend is trying to get into your pants with the promise of revealing the guild secrets Ainee

Aha! I suspected that too! Silly man for never offering to take me up for a glide: I may well have been overwhelmed and succumbed if he had done so...

Spud McLaren
814415.  Sun May 08, 2011 8:26 am Reply with quote

Be careful of amorous glider pilots; their fuselages are unpowered and reliant on updraught.

Ainee
814419.  Sun May 08, 2011 8:46 am Reply with quote

LOL

Good advice: I shall remember to reject their advances in future!

Are pilot/owners of Light Aircraft ok to dally with? I do steer clear of helicopter pilots since I dated one who had crashed three times.

nicholasjwest
814838.  Mon May 09, 2011 2:19 pm Reply with quote

The main problem with helicopter pilots is the rotors. Ideally, you want a man with a jetpack.

Ainee
814839.  Mon May 09, 2011 2:28 pm Reply with quote

I was advised that a Waterbed is the best mechanical empowerment for lazy men.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2