View previous topic | View next topic

You know how something just niggles away at you?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

5teve
893582.  Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:15 am Reply with quote

This question relates to an edition of QI that I must have watched about 2 years ago but it just pops into my head every now and then when there is an episode involving, "Elephant in the room"
It all goes back to the original Dumbo being shipped around the world and ending up with Phineas T. Barnum and The Greatest Show on Earth. The story goes that the roustabouts were loading Dumbo on to a train when an unscheduled train ran into him and killed him.[/u]
No mention has ever been made of it on QI but surely there was some kind of court case and a massive payout you Barnum simply based on the fact that the train that killed Dumbo was "unscheduled".
Any thoughts?
Cheers,
Steve.[/u]

mckeonj
893591.  Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:05 am Reply with quote

Jumbo was the elephant in the case.
http://www.mysteriesofcanada.com/Ontario/jumbo_the_elephant.htm

5teve
893594.  Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:14 am Reply with quote

Yes, that's the story pretty much as I remember it apart from a few additions and the proper name (DOH!!)
It still doesn't answer the question about whether the railroad paid any compensation to PT Barnum.
Cheers,
Steve

Sadurian Mike
893731.  Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote

Elephant Story, Les Harding

Barnum sued the Grand Trunk* Railway for $100 000 but their defense was that the elephants should have been loaded at a proper level crossing rather than by simply removing the fence.

The out of court settlement was $4 400, as Barnum realised that he still needed the railway to transport his circus, and had wrung all the publicity possible from the tragedy. The Grand Trunk got their own back by charging him exactly the same amount for a last-minute 30-mile diversion.

*Yes, I know....

Sadurian Mike
893975.  Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:43 am Reply with quote

The previous mention of Jumbo's death on QI aside, would this make a good topic for the 'J' series? It is all rather sad for the two elephants (especially poor old Jumbo), but the way that the two cynical exploiters (the Grand Trunk and PT Barnum) come to legal blows is rather fun.

mckeonj
893997.  Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:54 am Reply with quote

Legal fun would make a good topic, so in advance of starting a separate thread, I offer a couple of fun cases from Ireland.

One of songwriter Percy French's most famous songs is "Are Ye Right There Michael", a song ridiculing the state of the rail system in rural County Clare. The song caused such embarrassment to the West Clare Railway company that it led to a libel action against French, though this ultimately failed. French arrived late for the libel hearing at the court, and when questioned by the judge on his lateness, he responded "Your honour, I travelled by the West Clare Railway," resulting in the case being thrown out.
More recently, a number of German sailors appeared in the magistrates court in Dublin, having become drunk and disorderly during a courtesy visit by a German Navy ship.
Needing an interpreter, and one not being available, the justice asked if anyone in the courtroom could speak German.
A young journalist, in a state of boredom, and wishing to enliven the proceedings, said untruthfully that he did.
He was duly sworn in, and the justice asked him to ask the first sailor his name.
"Vat iss your name?" hissed the journalist, in his best Movie German accent.

nitwit02
894095.  Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote

Those two stories are fabulous!

bobwilson
894105.  Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote

Ah - legal fun - don't get me started!!!!!

'yorz
894123.  Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:16 am Reply with quote

I heard the second story about the impromptu translator (in a different set-up) a long time ago. Could it be an urban myth?

filofax
894135.  Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:23 am Reply with quote

Yes, like the guy in court (before the times of mobile phone) who, on receiving the guilty verdict and when asked if he had anything to say before being sentences, whipped out his cigarette case, opened it, and said 'beam me up, Scotty' .

It was a nice story at the time.

Keetoz
894193.  Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:13 am Reply with quote

filofax wrote:
Yes, like the guy in court (before the times of mobile phone) who, on receiving the guilty verdict and when asked if he had anything to say before being sentences, whipped out his cigarette case, opened it, and said 'beam me up, Scotty' .

It was a nice story at the time.

A delightfully double urban myth in that 'beam me up Scotty' was never said in any series of Star Trek!

PDR
894201.  Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:51 am Reply with quote

I suspect it's a myth, if for no other reason than it was a piece of script in an episode of "only fools and horses", like the euromyth about the 2high fat offal tube" which featured in the transition episode between Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister.

PDR

filofax
894225.  Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:35 am Reply with quote

Quote:
A delightfully double urban myth in that 'beam me up Scotty' was never said in any series of Star Trek!

Are you serious? Never?

Keetoz
894230.  Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:45 am Reply with quote

Yes indeed, a well-established myth, check this out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beam_me_up,_Scotty

Spud McLaren
894383.  Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:03 am Reply with quote

I thought I'd posted this, but can't find it, so:

A trainee lawyer friend was (recently) in court accompanying the chap charged with defending a man accused of having unnatural relations with a horse. Defence went through all the usual mitigating circumstances; defendant was unemployed, homeless, and had no human companionship, etc, and concluded by saying that the defendant now had a job, a flat and a girlfriend "and was now in a stable relationship".

The judge had to adjourn the case for 20 minutes while he recovered his composure.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next