View previous topic | View next topic

Bolan, Marc

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

JumpingJack
4565.  Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:40 pm Reply with quote

Marc Bolan's first recording, under the name Toby Tyler, vanished without trace. He formed Tyrannosaurus Rex with Steve Peregrine Took.

No Tyrannosaurus Rex album ever sold more than 25,000 copies. Tookís drug habit got out of control. On the bandís first visit to the US, he stripped naked on stage and flagellated himself with his belt till he drew blood. Bolan sacked him, replaced him with Mickey Finn and changed the bandís name to T. Rex.

T. Rex's first hit was Ride a White Swan in 1970, the year that Jimi Hendrix died and the Beatles released their last album. For two years, Marc Bolan was the most famous rock star in Britain. Between 1970 and 1972 he had four No.1 and three No. 2 hit singles.

s: TMM

JumpingJack
4567.  Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:44 pm Reply with quote

Like Michael Caine and John Cleese, Marc Bolan bought a Rolls Royce even though he couldnít drive.

In the ten albums he made with Tyrannosaurus Rex and T.Rex he used only seven chords.

Several people believed that Marc Bolan was psychic. He once told Simon Napier Bell: ďI think Iíd like to die in a car crash like James Dean, only Iím so small it would have to be a Mini.Ē It happened as he had predicted, against a tree in Barnes Common in 1977, in a purple Mini driven by Gloria Jones, the mother of his son Rolan Bolan.

Within an hour and a half of his death, someone got into Marc Bolanís house and stripped the whole place bare of his possessionsĖ guitars, clothes, tapes, everything. They even took all of Gloriaís underwear. There was no sign of forced entryĖ whoever did it must have had a key.

In 1987, Bolanís brother Harry, a Portsmouth bus driver, got a call from a Bournemouth newspaper, telling him that a retired undertaker called Larry Mitchell was about to auction the blood-stained clothes taken from Marcís body when he died. Harry invited Larry to his home, with the clothes, and burned them on a metal tray in his back garden.

Most of Marc Bolanís earnings are locked up in an offshore trust called Wizard (Bahamas) said to be worth more than £20 million. No one knows who the beneficiaries are, but they do not include either his wife or his son.

s: TMM

BobTheScientist
4645.  Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:13 pm Reply with quote

JumpingJack wrote:
Marc Bolan was 5í2Ē.

A connexion is there to be made between this fact and the "shortening" Trex.

Cummerbund for Geography
39467.  Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:20 am Reply with quote

The four #2s Bolan had were somewhat unlucky - more so when you consider the type of songs which denied him further #1 singles...

In 1971, Ride A White Swan stalled at #2 behind Grandad, by Clive Dunn
Later in 1971, Jeepster stalled at #2 behind Ernie - The Fastest Milk Cart In The West, by Benny Hill
In 1972, Solid Gold Easy Action stalled at #2 behind Long Haired Lover from Liverpool, by Little Jimmy Osmond

During this period Bolan did enjoy his four #1 hits, plus another #2 (the third in the sequence of #2 hits) although this time Slade, an act of importance rather than frivolity, held him off with Mama Weer All Crazee Now. The argument for Bolan here was that he spelt his single - Children Of The Revolution - correctly, unlike his Black Country contemporaries.

Meanwhile, Westlife have had 13 #1s at the last time of asking. It's all too much to bear...

Lucy68.99
162703.  Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:27 am Reply with quote

I'm only 16 so obviously i'm too young to remember him, but my dads like his biggest fan, he owns every album and single on cd's and tapes and LP's and all the dvd's which have been released in recent years. He loves him that much that he can't remember my birthday ( having a really bad memory doesn't help!) but he can remember Marc's birthday and everything else about him! I'm always listening to his songs and doodling his little quotes all over the place. My thing below is one of his own little doodlings! All the stuff that comes out today doesn't even come close to the music Marc made, he was ace. The lyrics in his songs were so amazing aswell, and did you know he was dyslexic? One song in particular that always stands out in my mind is 'Spaceball Ricochet'. And he had the most beautiful voice, not just his singing voice but his general speaking voice, i would have married him just for his voice! I've just finished downloading some of his earlier stuff with John's Children. He's got so many memorable songs its to hard to pick ones out! You get a good example of his speaking voice in 'The Leopards featuring Gardenia And The Mighty Slug'. My Dads met his mum and dad and got their autographs, and a picture of his brothers foot oddly! I'm not going to write anymore because i could go on about Marc Bolan and how fantastically amazingly brilliant he was forever! He really was the King Of Glam Rock! Rock On!

strukkanurv
162836.  Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:44 am Reply with quote

T.Rex were the very first band I hooked onto - they were my idols.
My first LP was bought for me when I was about 12 - It was T.Rex's Greatest Hits - the one with Marc sitting on the tiger. I went on to collect them all.
For me, he outshone all the others such as Sweet & Slade.
I have most of his stuff on vinyl single or LP & an autographed copy of Dandy In The Underworld.
It's really reassuring to find that younger people are discovering this sorely missed talent.
John's Children, or what remains of them, gigged in Manchester recently. I missed it.

Lucy68.99
162939.  Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:12 am Reply with quote

Its really nice to speak to you people about Marc and his music because if i said to any of my friends who's Marc Bolan, they'd have no idea and have no interest in his music. I do like most of the music that comes out now a days but i was brought up on all the older stuff, instead of listening to all the modern rap and screaming and shouting they do, i'd much rather put a bit of Robson & Jerome on and sing my heart out!

BondiTram
162945.  Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:00 am Reply with quote

I wasn't a fan in the true (ie fanatical) sense, but I did like his music and even now if I hear those first few chords of 'Bring It On' I have to stop whatever I'm doing and, not just listen, but lose myself in it.

Cummerbund for Geography
167893.  Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:40 pm Reply with quote

Lucy68.99 wrote:
One song in particular that always stands out in my mind is 'Spaceball Ricochet'.

Spaceball Ricochet was inspired by a junior school lad who lived in the same apartment block as Marc and his wife June. His mother bought him a pair of baseball boots with some of her giro money, and when he saw Marc he said "Look Marc - spaceball boots!" before running from one end of the corridor and ricocheting off the wall and then doing likewise at the other end to demonstrate how good he thought they were. Marc wrote down Spaceball Ricochet as a title and then composed the song.

BondiTram wrote:
I wasn't a fan in the true (ie fanatical) sense, but I did like his music and even now if I hear those first few chords of 'Bring It On' I have to stop whatever I'm doing and, not just listen, but lose myself in it.

That'd be Get It On, then. It was renamed Bang A Gong in America because another song called Get It On was in the charts at the time. Always a good idea not to confuse the dim...

BondiTram
168919.  Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:27 am Reply with quote

Cummerbund for Geography wrote:

That'd be Get It On, then. ...

Of course it is, another senior moment, but nice to know after 15 days that someone was listening.

Quote:
Always a good idea not to confuse the dim...

Failed miserably then.

Lucy68.99
170531.  Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:45 am Reply with quote

Yeah , my dad told me about the whole origin of 'Spaceball Ricochet'. Wish Marc would have stayed with June Child.

Dim
274043.  Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:03 am Reply with quote

Cummerbund for Geography wrote:
Always a good idea not to confuse the dim...

Amen to that... ;

I was around during the Bolan years and liked his stuff, although I was more into Slade in those days which just goes to show how daft teenagers can be.
Strangely enough, Don Powell lives just up the road from me...so I'm haunted by my youth even now.

Bolan's certainly retained his credability - even now he's acknowledged by other artists and I'm surprised he's not been sampled to excess.

samivel
274335.  Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:42 am Reply with quote

You clearly haven't heard many Oasis records...

Dim
274534.  Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:45 am Reply with quote

And I intend to keep it that way.... ;)

grimwig
521290.  Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:02 am Reply with quote

I'd always assumed that Marc chose the name Bolan as a tribute to Bob Dylan; but it appears not, he was inspired to use it after sharing a flat with the actor James Bolam. He initially wanted to call himself Marc Bolam, but i think the future likely lad thought that might be too confusing.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next