View previous topic | View next topic

Idioms

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

djgordy
747684.  Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:46 am Reply with quote

An idiom is a word or phrase which is to be understood in a figurative, rather than a literal way.

In Russia. so it is claimed, "to get a banana" means "to fail a test"; it should not be understood as meaning "we don't want any black players in our football league".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/9027968.stm

Voblin
748579.  Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:39 pm Reply with quote

djgordy - sorry to burst your bubble, but I am afraid what we have here is a conniving football bureaucrat pulling the proverbial wool over everyone's eyes.

Quote:
In Russia 'to get a banana' means 'to fail a test somewhere'.

To be fair, it is not entirely untrue. A long time ago, back in USSR days, the grades that were used everywhere in schools and Unis were:
5 (excellent),
4 (good),
3 (satisfactory),
2 (unsatisfactory),
1 (bad)

The word "banana" was used as a slang equivalent of grade "2". So, to "get a banana" meant to get the lousy grade of "2".

Interestingly, "banana" could also be a substitute - mostly used by kids - for number "2" in other circumstances; for example, "get the banana bus" meant "get on bus route 2". So all in all I think this was more of a straightforward slang than an idiom.

However - this usage of the word "banana" is obsolete now. I would not go as far as saying that it is NEVER used - but certainly it is extremely uncommon, to the point that younger people simply wouldn't understand what it means. If you search for "получить банан" ("poloochit banan" - "get a banana") on Yandex.Ru and exclude references to fruit, you will not find it as an idiom - what comes up instead are football-related forums discussing the above quote by Mr. Sorokin, who clearly made a blunt attempt to cover up unashamed racism.

Sorry about taking the wind out of your sales. I think your suggestion to consider idioms is a great one, as there are plenty of wonderful QI idioms around...

Last edited by Voblin on Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posital
748592.  Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:22 pm Reply with quote

Close... but no banana...

suze
748618.  Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:40 pm Reply with quote

Voblin wrote:
Mr. Sorokin, who clearly made a blunt attempt to cover up unashamed racism.

In which case, the question remains - why are the international football authorities still willing to overlook incidences of racism when they come from Russia (or from Spain, indeed).

References to bananas and monkeys by football supporters in England are by now mercifully uncommon, but when they do happen they are taken very seriously.

Voblin
748640.  Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:31 pm Reply with quote

suze - I can only speculate here, but from what I have read about modern Russia - it's wild wild west out there: law can be bent in whichever way pleases the rich and powerful, corruption is ripe, and bureaucrats of all sorts are mostly concerned with lining their pockets. Football involves big money, so it all applies. Match fixing alone is a whole separate subject - as in example described here.

As for racism - it is a huge problem in modern Russia. Google will find you tons of relevant links; this one in particular caught my eye. There is even a dedicated Wikipedia article on the subject.

Lastly, according to BBC
Quote:
both Fifa and Uefa have released statements to BBC Sport saying that they do not have any authority to act

suze
748839.  Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:08 am Reply with quote

That is sort of true. If a racist incident takes place in a local league match, then it is for the local footballing authority - i.e. the Rossijskij Futbol'nyj Sojuz, in this instance - to address it (or choose not to). UEFA and FIFA cannot intervene directly.

But it would be absolutely in order for UEFA to tell the RFS that it will suspend Russia's membership privileges until such time as the RFS is seen to have done something about the issue. After all, it suspended some of England's membership privileges (i.e. excluded English clubs from the European Cup) until such time as England did something about football-related violence.

If UEFA is reluctant to get involved in the sensitive subject of crowds maltreating black players, it could certainly tell Russia that it is suspended until such time as results cease to be pre-determined.

And FIFA has suspended several national teams (thus excluding them from the World Cup) until they have come into compliance with a rule banning governmental interference in footballing matters.

If Russia is determined to allow itself to be run by gangsters, that is its outlook. But it should't expect the rest of the world to accommodate that determination.

Voblin
748858.  Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:09 am Reply with quote

suze - personally I would welcome any move by FIFA (or anyone else for that matter) aimed at curbing racism. A pathetic attempt by a Russian bureaucrat to pass a racist jibe as a harmless idiom is easy enough to expose for what it is.

However - we can only speculate as to why such a move by FIFA is not forthcoming...

mckeonj
748860.  Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:17 am Reply with quote

...of idioms:
Much was made at the time of Krushchev shouting at the USA, "We will bury you!". This was conveniently misunderstood to mean a threat: "We will kill you!"; what he actually meant was,"We (USSR) will outlive you (USA), and come to your funeral."

djgordy
749023.  Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:04 am Reply with quote

"In Europe and America, there's a growing feeling of hysteria
Conditioned to respond to all the threats
In the rhetorical speeches of the Soviets
Mr. Krushchev said we will bury you
I don't subscribe to this point of view
It would be such an ignorant thing to do
If the Russians love their children too,"

HarryAlffa
749153.  Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:08 am Reply with quote

My brother, struggling to convey meaning, said the other day, "I've only go three bars of petrol left."
"You drive a mobile phone?"

IronMonkey
755172.  Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:11 am Reply with quote

I don't know if it falls under the catergory idioms but from an early age we are taught that dog go woof, cats go miaow, cow go moo. So what about French of Japanese.

Click for information

Untutored Eye
755175.  Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:21 am Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
An idiom is a word or phrase which is to be understood in a figurative, rather than a literal way.

In Russia. so it is claimed, "to get a banana" means "to fail a test"; it should not be understood as meaning "we don't want any black players in our football league".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/9027968.stm

Yeah, it was racist. They don't banana the white players.

But Locomotiv's loss is the Baggie's gain, thank you.

RLDavies
755323.  Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:50 pm Reply with quote

HarryAlffa wrote:
My brother, struggling to convey meaning, said the other day, "I've only go three bars of petrol left."
"You drive a mobile phone?"

Our car shows petrol as a stack of illuminated bars, and when you're down to three you'd better get to the station. I suppose most modern cars have the same sort of display.

Voblin
764507.  Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:54 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
If Russia is determined to allow itself to be run by gangsters, that is its outlook. But it should't expect the rest of the world to accommodate that determination.

FIFA did accommodate it today big time - by giving Russia the World Cup 2018. And guess who was running the Russian bid - the very same "get a banana" Mr. Sorokin. This is not QI any more - this is QA (quite appalling)...

suze
764513.  Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:24 pm Reply with quote

I too was less than thrilled at FIFA awarding the World Cup 2018 to Russia. I didn't particularly want England to get it, but I'd have been fairly happy with Spain and Portugal.

But my non-thrilledness with Russia and 2018 pales into nothingness as compared to my non-thrilledness with the idea of Qatar 2022. Australia would have been the best option, but the issue over access to stadiums which are also used for rugby league or Aussie rules won't have helped.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next