View previous topic | View next topic

Inmate Art (the complexities of witnessing)

Page 1 of 1

'yorz
746265.  Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:10 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Drawings of the camps done by inmates are not only witness reports. They involve choices of style and content and the influence of earlier artworks. A comparison of the ways inmates treated similar subjects reveals differences in approach between photographs and drawings, art in the camps and post-liberation art, the treatment of daily life versus that of death, and the depiction of the fašade of reality as opposed to the truth behind it. The need to reveal the truth differentiates the Expressionistic works of some artists at Theresienstadt from those of other camps and raises new problems about inmate art.

crissdee
746279.  Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:17 am Reply with quote

I would have thought that the prime, if not only, motivation of anyone who produced images of what went on in the camps, was to provide those who came after with evidence of what went on there in the hope that those responsible could be brought to such justice as might be found in such circumstances.

Spud McLaren
746338.  Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:17 am Reply with quote

Youlgreave - read this thread as "Intimate Art".

'yorz
746348.  Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:48 am Reply with quote

Disappointed?

Spud McLaren
746350.  Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:49 am Reply with quote

Mildly...

RLDavies
746519.  Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:12 am Reply with quote

I was mildly confused, since I started reading with the expectation that it was going to be about art therapy for prison inmates.

'yorz
746530.  Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:28 am Reply with quote

This is what prompted the thread, and was prompted itself by this article. Henri Pieck was a family friend, and as a child I met him many times. His war experience was never discussed. I only found out when my father showed me the portfolio of Pieck's drawings from Buchenwald. Having apparently known someone who actually had been in a concentration camp came as a huge shock.

crissdee
746539.  Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:57 am Reply with quote

Many years ago, my mum worked in a local dress shop, and one of the women always wore a scarf tied round her arm. It turned out that she wore it to cover the number tattooed on her wrist in Auschwitz.

mckeonj
746609.  Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:42 am Reply with quote

A drawing by Ronald Searle (yes, the founder of St Trinians) , one of many made at a prisoner of war camp administered by the Japanese in Singapore.
I think that these drawings, and those made by other artist inmates, were submitted as evidence at a War Crimes trial after the war.

Page 1 of 1