View previous topic | View next topic

USeless facts

Page 4 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Rory Gilmore
33244.  Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:51 pm Reply with quote

I try and slip it into conversations becvause it makes it look like I have a good understanding of imperial measurements (which they no longer teach at school).

Kevino7
33246.  Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:54 pm Reply with quote

ASm I the only one glad that Imperial Measurements are off the Syllabus. They ARE useless.

Rory Gilmore
33248.  Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:56 pm Reply with quote

I find they come in handier lengths for everyday use.

Jenny
33255.  Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:05 pm Reply with quote

Most of the people I know of my generation (I'm 55), who were brought up with Imperial measurements, find it very hard to estimate anything in non-Imperial measurements. I have no idea how to tell how long a room is, how tall a person is, how far away something is, unless I do it in feet and inches and miles. I still estimate weight in stones and pounds and ounces.

It's not that I can't use centimetres and metres, kilogrammes and grammes, it's just that essentially they don't mean anything to me.

Here in the US, of course, Imperial measurements are still the norm, so I don't have a problem. The only difference between US Imperial and UK Imperial is in volume measurements - a pint in the US contains 16 fluid ounces, so is 4/5 the size of a British pint. A gallon of gas is therefore 20% smaller than a British gallon.

Kevino7
33256.  Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:19 pm Reply with quote

Ooh... I forgot Height. Still Decimal makes more sense going up in the 100s.

Rory Gilmore
33260.  Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:27 pm Reply with quote

But decimal goes up in the thousands.

It seems odd that one of the British stereotypes held by Americans is that we use metric measurements all the time, when it's almost exclusively the very young who do. A metre's ten ninths of a yard, I think. And Americans don't seem to use stones, which seems quite hypocritical of their resistance to the simplification of metric measurements. Everyone I know measures things in imperial, except coke which is in grams. Usually one gram.

Jenny
33263.  Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:30 pm Reply with quote

No - one of the few things I remember when metrication was introduced was one of the little rhymes to help us oldies remember it:

A metre measures 3 foot 3
It's longer than a yard, you see.

The only other one I remember was:

A litre of water's
A pint and three quarters.

I have one of these silly brains that latches on to things that rhyme and remembers them.

Rory Gilmore
33264.  Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:31 pm Reply with quote

I still remember the Bucky O'Hare theme tune. And Fantastic Four. But I won't bother.

djgordy
33270.  Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:43 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
No - one of the few things I remember when metrication was introduced was one of the little rhymes to help us oldies remember it:

You can remember when the metric system was introduced? You're looking very good on it as it was introduced in France in the 1790s.

eggshaped
33277.  Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:14 pm Reply with quote

Bucky, captain Bucky O'Hare, he goes where no ordinary rabbit would dare...

samivel
33283.  Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:54 pm Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
Samivel wrote:

Quote:
Who were the top four?

I think the top four were Napoleon, Rolf Harris, Ghandi and… err… Lenin.

Actually, it was the Spanish Prime Minister, the Deputy PM, some flamenco dancer, and said dancer’s husband. I’m not even 100% convinced of the story.

Neither am I. It seems unlikely that politicians would be very popular.

Jenny
33288.  Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:08 pm Reply with quote

Well it would have been very interesting indeed to have been around in 1790, but more boringly I was 21 in 1971, when the coinage went metric.

Rory Gilmore
33293.  Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:15 pm Reply with quote

If you're looking for adventure, then this is it, with Jenny Deadeye Blinky, and Billy the Wizz I said Bucky, Captain Bucky O'Hare...

Did you hear they were thinking of dropping one and two pence coins? That's taking the metric simplification far too far.

Gaazy
33294.  Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:17 pm Reply with quote

It's true about stones in America, though, isn't it, Jenny? I have as little idea about whether a 195-pound man is heavy or not as whether a 195cm man is tall or not.

And we didn't do 14-times tables in school in the 50s and 60s, so I have to do the sum on paper....

Natalie
33296.  Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:20 pm Reply with quote

I don't understand people like that, no offence Gaazy. Like, my mum can't tell what a metre (sp?) is. Par exemple, if I said to her, is this polo mint a metre wide, she'd say "I don't know."

Hello? Isn't it obvious?

Last edited by Natalie on Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Page 4 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next