View previous topic | View next topic

Who knows the questions?

Page 5 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Ship's Kat
1006091.  Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:54 am Reply with quote

rudifuller wrote:
Assuming this is not a wonderfully crafted self-developed piece of social media genius to vastly up the on-line chatter... and I won't name names in case that's not the done thing, but I just watched an episode where one member had the first ad-lib to virtually every question and at no stage did the camera pan to Mr Fry laughing, whereas for everyone else it did........

........My candidate who I recently saw in Kingston doing a charity crisp thing appeared to me to have abnormally black died hair, black died eyebrow and it looked so strange it could have even been black died eyelashes daylight is so revealing). So On TV he looks quite normal but under the surface a generous bit of tinkering is going on.

If it is him, initially my thought was the guy needs crucifying!

I agree with you, I too have some insider knowledge. A close friend manages or has managed, at some point many of the regular comics. Not, "he of the coloured hair", but suffice to say, he is considered in some circles, to be a weasel, even been seen to do shows with a clip-board as he's "doing new material". The etiquette is obviously, for new material to be tested in certain pubs: gratis. So they're fine tuned for paying audiences. He's ego-centric, lazy + has a huge chip(maybe a crisp) on his shoulder.

Ship's Kat
1006093.  Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:01 am Reply with quote

[quote="khasab"]
ChompyChomps wrote:
Actually, after watching S03Ep03 I doubt it is Carr, but seems clearly McGrath

If it's true, and I suppose if Fry has said it then it is true, I would go for John sessions as being the guilty party.

I remember being impressed @ Rory's knowledge. He did set the Klaxon off a few times eg the "Chav in Eastenders", but he knew the correct answer so that was obviously a joke. It isn't a surprise to see his linguistic skills, he is a BA(hons) in Eng Lang. (I think) as opposed to Fry's English Lit. He's an avid ornithologist, and angler so knowing the etymology of birds/fish isn't surprising. As he'd been helping his son study Chemistry he'd very recently memorised the periodic table, so merely picturing it in his mind would remind him Ca is a metal. Although once we heard the answer, it was obvious, as it is many yrs since I had cause to look at said table I can't say I'd have immediately thought of Ca. I know it is metallic, but as it is so soft and rarely seen other than in compounds, it just doesn't spring to mind, for me anyway. When Fry questioned him further he was able to recall atomic numbers for random elements, even if it took a bit longer, who knows if we saw him answer in real time, or if it was edited to look as though he answered, immediately.
Also as other have said, he was never a regular. I think maybe 3 shows, perhaps 2. It surprised me he was never back on, as I thought he was a good guest. I did get the impression neither Fry or Davies are keen on him.
Stephen, says at one point, he should be an "exhibit in a zoo", because knows so much. Normally, he praises knowledge, eg John Sessions quoting dates of birth and death of artists, but Sessions, is Fry's crony. Alan also referred to a joke Rory made about the idea of calling an avian TV show, he was to host with Bill Oddie the zoological name that refers to "Bearded Tits". Fry, months later, said something about a bearded tit and Davies said "I believe you're thinking of Rory McGrath", which I thought was harsh and bordered on plagiarism.
I've also noticed Alan is quick to air his dislike of some other show, esp "Mock the Week", everyone can see MtW is not an improv show, the contestants don't pretend it is. They openly check their notes before stand up rounds.
Hugh Dennis frequently uses jokes that air the same night on the 'Now Show' on R4, I assume they think the crossover of viewers/listeners will not be substantial.
I really think someone who appeared as the eponymous clown in 'Jonathan Weak' really ought not to cast stones about programmes of intellectual/ production levels of merit.
That said, I obviously love QI, and I think John Lloyd is a genius.

Efros
1006103.  Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:48 am Reply with quote

Just a word on Ca and its perceived softness. It's not! It's hard! It can't be cut with a knife like sodium and is almost as hard as Aluminium. I suppose it's to do with degrees, it isn't as hard as our everyday metals, and also the hardness scales aren't exactly the best.

Xizzzy
1006261.  Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:14 pm Reply with quote

Troux wrote:
Xizzzy wrote:
It is Rory McGrath, because he only appears on episodes C3, C6, and D4. He then never appears again in the show which follows the logic that he 'was' a regular up until he wasn't asked on the show again. John Sessions on the other hand appears as late as the J series for a total of 10 appearances. I don't think they would ask him on if they were bothered enough by this mystery guest to specifically say without naming him that he isn't asked on anymore. The other candidates from this thread don't seem to fit and are contradicted by other posts which point out how Carr can ad lib with the best of them and Jo doesn't strike me as someone who takes the quiz seriously and has fun regardless of what the question was or the answer is and entertains. Rich doesn't speak enough to make me suspect him but the idea that he might prepare for it due to cultural differences seems credible at first until you watch him in the show. He doesn't display a vast knowledge of british culture out of the blue and tends to be quiet until he like Jo, entertains the audience and other panelists. So in conclusion, the guest who demanded the questions or even asked for them to prepare beforehand is Rory. Whether this makes him insufferable or not is still up in the air since nobody appart from the people who create and host the show knows the reasons and they decided not to bring him back presumably for that reason. Which upon further reflection I suppose makes him insufferable after all.

First of all, Stephen said it was a regular, which Rory never was. Secondly, Rory is an avid birdwatcher. He ought to know what he did about the birds that he was asked about, and like many other non-regular guests, he was probably brought on for that episode in particular to flex his knowledge on his specialty subject.

Secondly, saying that Carr doesn't need preparation because he always has witty remarks is like saying that politicians don;t need speech writers because all of their speech is so eloquent and tactful. I don't doubt that he's clever, but I find it more likely that he's simply canny and competitive, and has been doing this sort of thing all along. He's simply well-prepared to offer his retorts and off-the-cuff remarks, which is a common tactic amongst comics. Look at his dapper attire, his meet-the-parents haircut and trademark off-beat decorum and tell me that's not a man that is determinedly prepared. I'd put all my money on Carr in this debate.

As for his fridge magnet letter magic...I couldn't help but notice he didn't have any Q's, X's or Z's to use there... Lucky guy?

Your theory has one major hole in it, the mystery guest was never asked on again and carr has been in every season since the beginning. Rory was regular as I pointed out in example and then cuts to nothing ever again. The alphabet magnets is a simple camera is away from him so he grabs letters he needs from his neighbor or props to produce whatever message he wanted to spell out as we don't know exactly how many they each had or could summon if necessary. Its not hard to lean to your neighbor and say "can I borrow that L".

Efros
1006267.  Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:39 pm Reply with quote

Problem with that is that Rory has only been on twice C3 and C6, the Rory in D4 is Rory Bremner.

Troux
1006271.  Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:49 pm Reply with quote

Xizzzy wrote:

Your theory has one major hole in it, the mystery guest was never asked on again and carr has been in every season since the beginning. Rory was regular as I pointed out in example and then cuts to nothing ever again. The alphabet magnets is a simple camera is away from him so he grabs letters he needs from his neighbor or props to produce whatever message he wanted to spell out as we don't know exactly how many they each had or could summon if necessary. Its not hard to lean to your neighbor and say "can I borrow that L".

Wasn't asked on again? Did I miss that part? As for sneaking some letters in...I'd think someone would make a stink about that. See above about Rory, he was only on twice and in the same season. Too bad, I loved him!

Regardless, as with Top Gear you'll always want to keep in mind: it's an entertainment show above anything else, and veracity takes a back seat.

Ship's Kat
1006281.  Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:45 pm Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
Just a word on Ca and its perceived softness. It's not! It's hard! It can't be cut with a knife like sodium and is almost as hard as Aluminium. I suppose it's to do with degrees, it isn't as hard as our everyday metals, and also the hardness scales aren't exactly the best.

As I said, that was just how I perceived it. I've not looked at a periodic table, for longer than a fleeting glance since 1993.
I meant, I can appreciate why people forget it is a metal, as you say it's not one of "our everyday metals".

Troux
1006290.  Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:22 pm Reply with quote

^Aye, the same tends to happen with Mercury. I thought it was a planet, but it's actually classified as a metal.

neko5
1038669.  Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:25 am Reply with quote

someone wrote that the person knowing the questions: is ego centric, lazy, has a crisp on their shoulders... that is either carr or sean lock.. but i dont think sean lock is bothered, while on the other hand carr certainly is :)

Super Hans
1065867.  Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:25 pm Reply with quote

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/quite-interesting-contestants-on-bbc-quiz-show-know-the-questions-in-advance-8775265.html

This throws a spanner in the works.

"In a new interview with the Radio Times Davies contradicts Fry’s claims, saying: “On QI you get the questions in advance".

knightmare
1065885.  Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:51 am Reply with quote

Quote:
“On QI you get the questions in advance".

That'll explain the surprised faces and improvisations. The ones now playing the role of Alan Davies may be aware of some of the questions of the produced TV show, to get it going. A foreign Alan Davies told something like this during the broadcasted show. He didn't know the answers, because he also said sorry after getting it right by accident. No big deal at all. You don't want 4 people saying "We don't know nor care, we ain't scientists, next question please.". Mr. Fry can ask additional questions, which can be a way to verify any assumed production strategy. Please note a guest is often not important enough to risk going down with the whole business, for one because you already know existing answers. They aren't looking for real answer and new discoveries.

dr.bob
1065973.  Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:23 am Reply with quote

Super Hans wrote:
This throws a spanner in the works.

"In a new interview with the Radio Times Davies contradicts Fry’s claims, saying: “On QI you get the questions in advance".

As confirmed by eggshaped in post 1018168 back in August when the original article was published.

Janet H
1068811.  Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:09 pm Reply with quote

Good news! we have been lucky enough to be issued with tickets for the QI recording on tuesday 6th May evening. This is particularly special as it is our wedding anniversary, and Mike and I met on this very forum five years ago. (any chance of a green room pass, she asked, with sheer effrontery?)

[copied to Green Room thead]

monzac
1068864.  Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:21 pm Reply with quote

A green room pass would be great. At the very least, you should get a shout out. Here's hoping :)

CharliesDragon
1069653.  Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:32 am Reply with quote

A lot of congratulations from me, Janet, both on the anniversary and the tickets!

Page 5 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next