View previous topic | View next topic

Who knows the questions?

Page 4 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Chowchilla
964344.  Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:01 am Reply with quote

zomgmouse wrote:
I'm Australian and have no clue what those two terms mean.

I've lived here for years and I don't get them either!

Rias Gremory
964348.  Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:34 am Reply with quote

Chigga is a Tassie term, and Westies is Sydney

zomgmouse
964361.  Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:20 am Reply with quote

Well that explains it, I've never been outside of Victoria in my life.

lilyplatt
980930.  Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:44 am Reply with quote

I don't think it's Jo Brand. She's been on the show the most times (wikipedia). If Alan and Stephen didn't like her asking for the questions beforehand, why would she still be asked on the show. Also, those comments were made a few years ago, wouldn't the person no longer be a guest panelist?

dr.bob
980983.  Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:18 am Reply with quote

That's a good point. Perhaps in the old days, when QI was a new show and not well known, the producers would have to put up with whatever guests they could find (witness Hugh Laurie's uncomfortable appearance in the first series)

These days it's much more successful and they have their pick of talent eager to appear on the show, so I don't think they'd need to put up with any behaviour that they didn't approve of.

By the way, welcome to the forums Lily :)

Oceans Edge
981014.  Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:28 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
(witness Hugh Laurie's uncomfortable appearance in the first series)

He really did look terribly 'deer caught in the headlamps' didn't he?

dr.bob
981061.  Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:42 am Reply with quote

I opined some time ago hereabouts that Mr Laurie was called in against his better judgement to do a favour for some friends when they were struggling to find enough panellists for the show. Someone from the production team indicated that I wasn't a million miles away from the truth,

Oceans Edge
981069.  Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:51 am Reply with quote

that was pretty much what I figured at the time .... this is often the case with new shows that needs 'guests' - early Muppet shows were like that - a lot of 'calling in of favours owed' :)

JPWoody
994569.  Tue May 07, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote

Has to be Jimmy Carr. Its so obvious.

Jenny
994632.  Tue May 07, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote

Because...?

Welcome JPWoody :-)

Kevinator
997504.  Sat May 18, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
Oddly enough, I have an idea that Rory was discounted by Those In The Know because he was one of the prime suspects. They wouldn't elaborate, but if I recall, both Rory and John(ny) Sessions were both cleared.

I'd like to know more about this, because I still think it's John Sessions. Take a look at episode J08, for instance. Almost every time he answers a question, he looks down at the stack of paper in front of him. He's the only panelist I've noticed who does this. Fry's reaction to him is very much in keeping with him saying that he is annoyed by the request to know the questions beforehand (after Sessions is the first to ring in on virtually every question for the first 15 minutes, Fry goes so far as to tell him to let others have a turn).

Also, while I admit that my own interpretation is subjective, I believe that the way in which he answers the questions is rather telling. His responses really do seem as though they could be the result of calculated efforts to decipher cryptically-phrased or trick questions. Anyone tiresome enough to do this is probably more concerned with appearing intelligent than being funny, which I think also explains why his answers rarely have any comedic value. (Of course, one might say something similar but opposite about someone who makes lots of good jokes but gives few correct answers, although I don't think this is the case.)

Just some thoughts. Whether or not he's the one who asks for the questions, he's nevertheless an incredible bore.

CharliesDragon
997591.  Sat May 18, 2013 5:07 pm Reply with quote

Sessions is special, I won't deny that, but I wouldn't call him a bore. Most of the time I find his answers interesting, and once you know to expect that and not a joke I don't mind it.

vantheman
998703.  Thu May 23, 2013 8:21 am Reply with quote

Kevinator wrote:
I'd like to know more about this, because I still think it's John Sessions. Take a look at episode J08, for instance. Almost every time he answers a question, he looks down at the stack of paper in front of him. He's the only panelist I've noticed who does this. Fry's reaction to him is very much in keeping with him saying that he is annoyed by the request to know the questions beforehand (after Sessions is the first to ring in on virtually every question for the first 15 minutes, Fry goes so far as to tell him to let others have a turn).

Just some thoughts. Whether or not he's the one who asks for the questions, he's nevertheless an incredible bore.

I very much doubt it's Sessions. He's a bit of a would-be polymath-- who, incidentally, did doctoral studies at my hometown Canadian university-- and he's often giddily desperate to show it. Of anyone, he's the person most likely to treat the show as more of a quiz than a chat/panel show. I was glad to see him back for the J-series.

Looking over the K-series tapings, though, it seems once again quite a few onetime regulars won't be appearing. With only three tapings left, the MIAs so far include Dara O Briain, Rob Brydon, Rich Hall, Clive Anderson, Sean Lock and Andy Hamilton. We are, however, getting lots of Brand, Bailey and Perkins (and probably Toksvig) -- and, unfortunately, even Janet bloody Street bloody Porter. Mind you, on the latter, she'll probably make people appreciate Gyles Brandreth all of a sudden....

CB27
998712.  Thu May 23, 2013 8:36 am Reply with quote

Come on, it's so obvious who has all the answers.

Whited out:

It's Stephen Fry :p

CharliesDragon
998793.  Thu May 23, 2013 1:38 pm Reply with quote

Ooh, I like perky Perkins! :P

Page 4 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next