View previous topic | View next topic

Who knows the questions?

Page 3 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Ian Dunn
952469.  Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:27 am Reply with quote

mckeonj wrote:
On another occasion, Alan Davies said that he knew the answer because he'd had dinner with the producer beforehand.

That was in the "Electrcity" episode and the questions was about the animal which produces the most methane.

Prof Wind Up Merchant
952516.  Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote

Alfred E Neuman wrote:
cjp wrote:
Has anyone considered Jo Brand?

Has anyone considered Jo Brand's husband? :-)

I feel sorry for Jo Brand's husband.

tetsabb
952544.  Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote

He must have a hell of a sense of humour!

ChompyChomps
952661.  Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:40 pm Reply with quote

Actually, after watching S03Ep03 I doubt it is Carr, but seems clearly McGrath

he knew literally EVERYTHING... from 16C mathemeticians, species of fish, chemicals, etc. its beyond good knowledge, it's identical

Fry even says at one point "amazing! that's literally everything I have written on my card" apparently not considering it further

Jimmy Carr had some good knowledge, but got a lot wrong and appears to just have just good

ChompyChomps
952663.  Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote

.. :-/ except he's not a regular panellist ... I've defeated myself again

khasab
956971.  Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:14 am Reply with quote

[quote="ChompyChomps"]Actually, after watching S03Ep03 I doubt it is Carr, but seems clearly McGrath

If it's true, and I suppose if Fry has said it then it is true, I would go for John sessions as being the guilty party.

'murcan
959415.  Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:51 am Reply with quote

What gain is there for the individual as opposed to the flow of the program? There isn't any prize money at stake. The show doesn't have the appearance of being totally scripted. No one has said the answers are given, just the questions. No matter how much research
you do, the way the elves have crafted the question you can count on the obvious answer being wrong. I'm surprised more guests wouldn't want to know the questions or at least the theme of the show before agreeing to appear.

No vote for John Sessions here. Stephen has already commented on JS' ability to recite historical data for hours on end in social situations.

Efros
959417.  Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:08 am Reply with quote

I think it is the need by this individual to appear to be more worldly wise than they actually are.

Chowchilla
959730.  Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:07 am Reply with quote

ChompyChomps wrote:
Actually, after watching S03Ep03 I doubt it is Carr, but seems clearly McGrath

he knew literally EVERYTHING... from 16C mathemeticians, species of fish, chemicals, etc. its beyond good knowledge, it's identical

Fry even says at one point "amazing! that's literally everything I have written on my card" apparently not considering it further

Jimmy Carr had some good knowledge, but got a lot wrong and appears to just have just good

I never understood why Calcium as an answer got a ton of points. Even I knew that Calcium was a metal and I've only got O' Level Chemistry Grade C!

For me the panellist who knows the questions is Jo Brand. I think they started to anticipate her answers in the last couple of series and caught her out with forfeits on her own gags!

Efros
959732.  Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:18 am Reply with quote

Rudimentary knowledge of science is almost always regarded as "specialized knowledge" in quiz shows. University Challenge has tried in its latest incarnation to remedy this, although sometimes you want to smack the question setter around the head.

RLDavies
959912.  Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:23 am Reply with quote

Rory McGrath seemed genuine to me. He rattled on in the authentic manner of somebody enjoying the chance of giving their favourite hobby-horse an airing.

Jenny
959949.  Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:31 am Reply with quote

I think the forfeits might be because Jo's gags are occasionally predictable.

Rias Gremory
964126.  Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:02 am Reply with quote

If I were to guess anyone it would be Rich Hall. Not because I doubt his integrity but only because it is hard to identify with a lot of the culturally specific stuff. As an Australian I do tend to not get a lot of the culturally funny jokes. Just as much as an English person probably wouldn't get any references to Westies, Chiggas etc

zomgmouse
964315.  Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:52 pm Reply with quote

I'm Australian and have no clue what those two terms mean.

Rias Gremory
964318.  Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:33 pm Reply with quote

zomgmouse wrote:
I'm Australian and have no clue what those two terms mean.

Haha there you go. They mean much the same thing- certain type of bogan really. Much like a Chav in Britain.

Last edited by Rias Gremory on Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Page 3 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next