View previous topic | View next topic

Insomnia

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jenny
765787.  Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:06 pm Reply with quote

Interesting question - I'd speculate not. Humans are the only ones who worry if they don't get enough sleep and have occupations that force them not to sleep when they might be sleepy. Humans, I think, are probably the only species who have thoughts that keep them awake when they'd rather be asleep.

Amie
765863.  Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:56 pm Reply with quote

IMO, as insomnia can be recognised as a complaint in humans and animals can't complain as such, it would have to be observed in animals which would be difficult.

I tried to research further but I was hit by the usual "Subscription" or "Log In" brick wall when trying to look at journal articles.

samivel wrote:
Bon Pantalon wrote:
There are several ways to prevent insomnia; the easiest of which is to just get a sound sleep each and every night.

But the whole point of insomnia is that you can't 'get a sound sleep each and every night'.

Isn't this a bit like saying that the easiest way to prevent a disease is not to have the disease in the first place?

I agree completely!

Arcane
771844.  Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote

There is a condition called Familial Fatal Insomnia, only discovered fairly recently, which as the title implies, causes insomnia to the point that the patient does not sleep at all, and eventually dies. Known to occur in approximately 40 families throughout the world, it is a genetic mutation that causes a prion disease which is in the same family as BSE and Kuru. At this time, there is no cure. Patients can live up to three years, with symptoms starting in a person's 30's, or it can occurr up into their 60's.

http://www.suite101.com/content/the-man-who-never-slept-a34650

Article about an FFI patient.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6822468/ns/dateline_nbc/

Article about a family that discovered it had the FFI gene.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_familial_insomnia

Wiki article

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1781306/

Scientific article on FFI.

Efros
771846.  Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:50 pm Reply with quote

I have about 6 hours sleep in me, no matter how tired i am or what time I go to bed 6 hours later I will be awake. I can be washed out but still cannot sleep for more than 6 hours at a time. If I'm wakened during the night I find it almost impossible to get back to sleep, my dog has caused many an uttered swear word as he decides 2 am is a good time to play the drums outside our bedroom door as he scratches himself and rattles his paw off the floor. It has been getting worse as I get older and I think at some point I will have to get something to knock me out as by the end of the week I am totally knackered.

suze
771848.  Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:53 pm Reply with quote

I'm rather like that. It's fine on school nights - go to bed a bit after 1, up a bit after 7, all is as it should be.

But during the hols, it can get a bit silly!

Efros
771850.  Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:55 pm Reply with quote

I'm at work a bit after 7, I'm up at 4 am. Habit of mine, I need a couple of hours to wake up fully so I always got up about 3 hours before I started work. In the UK that was 6 am, here in the States it's about 4 am.

Jenny
771870.  Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:53 pm Reply with quote

Ugh I can't cope with getting up early - and in fact knowing I have to get up early almost guarantees me a sleepless night. I never set the alarm unless I absolutely have to. Fortunately, I don't have to very often!

Arcane
771931.  Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:51 am Reply with quote

I am not a morning person. Sleep has never been easy for me, even as a child, I hardly slept. Drove my mother crazy.

FFI sounds like my worst nightmare. *shudders* A horrible way to go.

Jenny
772086.  Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:23 pm Reply with quote

One thing that has recently helped my insomnia is that I've been taking a melatonin tablet at bedtime. I read that the body's ability to produce melatonin declines with age, which is one reason older people don't sleep so well, and I decided to see if a supplement would help. I've slept quite well since then, but I'll give it a bit longer as I have been known to have good spells before.

Arcane
772341.  Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:18 pm Reply with quote

The scary thing with FFI is that there is NO cure. Sleeping medications do not work, in fact, they seem to make things worse. The evidence of what happens to the brain is there, just no one knows why.

I can still get sleep if I take a sleep aid. Sometimes they work better than others; but with FFI, you literally can't sleep but you're not awake. I think I caught somewhere that it was the type of sleep that you weren't getting in FFI that killed you, leading the body and brain just to break down.

RLDavies
772447.  Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:46 am Reply with quote

I watched a documentary about a family with FFI, and the horrible stress on all the members. There were those in the last stages of deterioration; those who were clearly developing it and had nothing to look forward to but slow torture; and those who were just watching and waiting, wondering if any "ordinary" bad night was the first sign of impending doom. Personally, I can't think of a better argument for suicide.

A surprising sleep aid is walnuts. Eating a few (3-5) walnuts every day, shortly before bedtime, helps quite a lot of people. They're also very good for the hair and nails, and are generally nutritious. Colin has broken nails and a lot of sleep trouble, and bought a big bag of walnuts, but as it turned out his dislike of the taste is stronger than his desire for a good night's sleep.

My own sleep quality is directly determined by the quality of the dreams. If I sleep deeply and for a long time, but have unsatisfactory dreams, it's a rotten night.

Arcane
772620.  Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:48 am Reply with quote

Walnuts? Haven't heard that one. I'm not exactly a fan, I find them rather bitter. I'll give it a whirl, I'll try anything once! (almost)

Jenny
772870.  Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:56 pm Reply with quote

I love walnuts, so that's obviously one for me to try.

Efros
840241.  Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:51 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
I love walnuts, so that's obviously one for me to try.

If you ever find yourself in the Bergerac area of France, you should try the cocoa dusted walnuts they sell there.

Jenny
840282.  Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:24 pm Reply with quote

I have been there, and they were indeed wonderful.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next