View previous topic | View next topic

Insomnia

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Arcane
771931.  Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:51 am Reply with quote

I am not a morning person. Sleep has never been easy for me, even as a child, I hardly slept. Drove my mother crazy.

FFI sounds like my worst nightmare. *shudders* A horrible way to go.

Jenny
772086.  Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:23 pm Reply with quote

One thing that has recently helped my insomnia is that I've been taking a melatonin tablet at bedtime. I read that the body's ability to produce melatonin declines with age, which is one reason older people don't sleep so well, and I decided to see if a supplement would help. I've slept quite well since then, but I'll give it a bit longer as I have been known to have good spells before.

Arcane
772341.  Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:18 pm Reply with quote

The scary thing with FFI is that there is NO cure. Sleeping medications do not work, in fact, they seem to make things worse. The evidence of what happens to the brain is there, just no one knows why.

I can still get sleep if I take a sleep aid. Sometimes they work better than others; but with FFI, you literally can't sleep but you're not awake. I think I caught somewhere that it was the type of sleep that you weren't getting in FFI that killed you, leading the body and brain just to break down.

RLDavies
772447.  Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:46 am Reply with quote

I watched a documentary about a family with FFI, and the horrible stress on all the members. There were those in the last stages of deterioration; those who were clearly developing it and had nothing to look forward to but slow torture; and those who were just watching and waiting, wondering if any "ordinary" bad night was the first sign of impending doom. Personally, I can't think of a better argument for suicide.

A surprising sleep aid is walnuts. Eating a few (3-5) walnuts every day, shortly before bedtime, helps quite a lot of people. They're also very good for the hair and nails, and are generally nutritious. Colin has broken nails and a lot of sleep trouble, and bought a big bag of walnuts, but as it turned out his dislike of the taste is stronger than his desire for a good night's sleep.

My own sleep quality is directly determined by the quality of the dreams. If I sleep deeply and for a long time, but have unsatisfactory dreams, it's a rotten night.

Arcane
772620.  Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:48 am Reply with quote

Walnuts? Haven't heard that one. I'm not exactly a fan, I find them rather bitter. I'll give it a whirl, I'll try anything once! (almost)

Jenny
772870.  Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:56 pm Reply with quote

I love walnuts, so that's obviously one for me to try.

Efros
840241.  Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:51 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
I love walnuts, so that's obviously one for me to try.

If you ever find yourself in the Bergerac area of France, you should try the cocoa dusted walnuts they sell there.

Jenny
840282.  Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:24 pm Reply with quote

I have been there, and they were indeed wonderful.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2