View previous topic | View next topic

American Topics

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

suze
738798.  Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:07 am Reply with quote

Mind you, Jimmy Carter did tell the entire population of Poland that he wanted to have sex with them.

Sort of. He actually said that he wanted to get to know the Polish people better, but Polish has more than one verb that we might translate as "to know", and his interpreter used the wrong one. Accordingly, what that interpreter actually said in Polish translates back as "I want to have carnal knowledge of the Polish people".

dr.bob
739073.  Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:46 am Reply with quote

Just checked with my German cow-orker, and the JFK thing gets even more interesting.

People have suggested that "Ich bin ein Berliner" means "I am a doughnut". This is based on the fact that, in some parts of Germany "ein Berliner" is a type of doughnut. However, it rather overlooks the fact that "ein Berliner" also means a person from Berlin. Much as someone could validly describe themselves as a Hamburger if they came from Hamburg, or a Frankfurter if they came from Frankfurt, without mistakenly describing themselves as various meat products.

However, it seems that there is another type of doughnut popular in Germany. I don't think we get it over here, but it's described as slightly larger, lens shaped, made of a denser dough, with icing on top. This is known in Germany as "ein Americana". So, even if JFK described himself as "Ich bin ein Americana", some people would still think he was describing himself as a doughnut.

Neotenic
739116.  Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:11 pm Reply with quote

mmmm.... various meat products....

usedfun
742970.  Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:45 pm Reply with quote

Hey to all of you! Thanks for responding. I am truly grateful. Now some of you have veered off the topic of AMERICAN HISTORY. Well, it is a chat room. Anyone want to ask me a question about Early American History? I particularly enjoy learning and conversing about the Colonial Period, American Independence, the Seven Years War, Native Americans, and Westward Expansion. T.

usedfun
742980.  Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:53 pm Reply with quote

Poor Alan. Thank goodness he does win occasionally. I think he's very "smart". He just doesn't always know as much as he thought he knew. Hence the show. QI. T.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2