View previous topic | View next topic

Information is Beautiful

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Neotenic
736138.  Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:39 am Reply with quote

Yeah, that's certainly an interesting one - although I would like to see it with more equalised percentages, and with datasets that are less than eight years apart.

soup
736146.  Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:56 am Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:

Another page I found interesting, from the UK POV, is this one:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2446/4038713677_4759ee9d17_o.jpg

0.04 % of the population is 'high'?

Spud McLaren
736149.  Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:59 am Reply with quote

Perhaps it is, comparitively, in this context.

Efros
736159.  Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:09 am Reply with quote

Just over 21000 people in England & Wales, I suspect there are more Jedis!

CB27
736200.  Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:30 am Reply with quote

You have to remember that this is membership of a fringe party, not voters.

If you take party membership to be around 10,500 (I think that's roughly the number used), then nation-wide you're looking at an average of 0.017% (If it's only England & Wales population or voting population, then slightly higher), so 0.4% is not an insignificant number.

Considering the Libe Dems have 60k (average of 0.093%), Labour 166k (0.256%) and Conservatives 250k (0.385%), 0.4% looks to represent a fairly high representation for an area for any of these parties.

Personally, I'd like to see an overlay of where majority of BNP votes came in as well to see how that affects the map.

While the data for large non-white population is nearly a decade old, I reckon we're not giong to see too much of a difference in the map today, and we have to remember that BNP members will likely have considered for some time joining the BNP and/or spent some time prior to that thinking along similar lines of the party, so any population influence would have been well before 2009 and likely start around 2001 or earlier.

What I fnid interesting is that I always assumed the BNP targeted areas with higher ethnic populations and had higher support there, but that map suggests that the influence from party members tends to come from mostly outside those areas, suggesting their ideological zeal tends not to come from experience, but from personal beliefs.

CB27
736203.  Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:35 am Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
Considering the Libe Dems have 60k ...

That reminds me of Charles Kennedy :)

Neotenic
736351.  Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:26 am Reply with quote

Quote:
What I fnid interesting is that I always assumed the BNP targeted areas with higher ethnic populations and had higher support there, but that map suggests that the influence from party members tends to come from mostly outside those areas, suggesting their ideological zeal tends not to come from experience, but from personal beliefs.

Or good old fashioned fear of the unknown, perhaps.

Plus, I certainly think it would have to be a spectacularly brave and/or foolish BNP activist that stood outside my local tube station handing out leaflets.

plinkplonk
736373.  Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:10 am Reply with quote

You can help with the projects, you can also create 'fun' statistics for the Guardian at Datablog as well.
mailto:datastore@guardian.co.uk

suze
736374.  Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:11 am Reply with quote

I can imagine!

But in fact, and as CB suggests, BNP voters would be a better thing to measure here than BNP members. A non-zero proportion of BNP members are infiltrators of one kind or another, and don't actually vote for the party. And more significantly, there must be plenty who vote for the party but aren't members of it. (Partly for the same reasons that most of us aren't actually members of the Conservative or Labour parties, and partly to avoid issues which might result from membership in the BNP becoming known.)

There's another issue too. In some parts of the country, people who want to vote "I don't like black people" vote for UKIP rather than BNP. Except for Essex and parts of London, the BNP is practically irrelevant in the south east - but UKIP has a high profile in (especially) Kent and Oxfordshire.

Ion Zone
736461.  Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:07 pm Reply with quote

I find it hard to believe that the thing we are best at is CCTV....

plinkplonk
736697.  Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:11 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:

There's another issue too. In some parts of the country, people who want to vote "I don't like black people" vote for UKIP rather than BNP. Except for Essex and parts of London, the BNP is practically irrelevant in the south east - but UKIP has a high profile in (especially) Kent and Oxfordshire.

Is there any reason why people who want to vote 'I don't like black people' wouldn't vote for any party or even an Independent? It could depend on the other policies, and whether they want to use their vote tactically. How do you know that people who want to vote 'I don't like black people' don't just abstain?

Bondee
736706.  Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:56 am Reply with quote

Ion Zone wrote:
I find it hard to believe that the thing we are best at is CCTV....

According to a band who are local to me, we're the stars of CCTV.

Spud McLaren
736735.  Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:43 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
In some parts of the country, people who want to vote "I don't like black people" vote for UKIP rather than BNP.
I think they're barking up the wrong tree, then. Not that I've had a great deal to do with UKIP, but I don't recall any of their local candidates even faintly implying that they are white supremacists.

suze
736743.  Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:03 pm Reply with quote

There have been a few racists among the UKIP hierarchy.

For instance, there is a man named Paul Wiffen - a former parliamentary candidate - who made some unfortunate remarks about "Muslim nutters" and "Romanian pikeys", and who referred to the Queen as "that German bitch".

Or then there was the party's erstwhile press officer, one Adrian Lithgow, who was arrested on Victoria Station after calling a rail worker a "piece of shit" and a "fucking immigrant". After a manager told Mr Lithgow to behave himself, Lithgow apparently threw a Cornish pasty at him - and earned himself a night in the cells.

For sure, there are a handful of racists in all the other parties as well, and it would be unfair to suggest that everyone in UKIP is like Mr Wiffen or Mr Lithgow. But the current leader - the rather ineffectual Malcolm Pearson, who has announced an intention to stand down - has done little to distance himself from the racists within his party. (Contrast with David Cameron, who does not seriously deny that there are still such people in the Conservative Party, but does slap them down when necessary.)

Spud McLaren
736746.  Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:28 pm Reply with quote

Fair enough, but I don't think it's a mainstay of their policies in the same way as it is the BNP's (despite the BNP's protestations to the contrary).

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next