Devon

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Celebaelin
68187.  Tue May 02, 2006 7:24 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Celebaelin wrote:
Is there a road on Rockall?

No there isn't - which is how it comes to be all that large number of miles away from a road.

Sorry, I completely missed the reference to Rockall in Andy's post.

simonp
68471.  Thu May 04, 2006 7:47 am Reply with quote

Trixie wrote:

I am going to Devon for my holiday this year I have never been before I am excited!

:-) More tourists to confuse with funny accents and rip off with expensive cream teas

Trixie
68690.  Fri May 05, 2006 11:45 am Reply with quote

simonp wrote:
Trixie wrote:

I am going to Devon for my holiday this year I have never been before I am excited!

:-) More tourists to confuse with funny accents and rip off with expensive cream teas

mine or yours?

mmmmmmm cream tea mmmmmmm (its no wonder it costs me 4.95 a week at weight watchers)

simonp
68742.  Sat May 06, 2006 2:22 am Reply with quote

Both.
A quick yomp to Yes Tor should work off the cream teas!

Trixie
68790.  Sat May 06, 2006 11:48 am Reply with quote

Ummmm I don't think I'll make it up Yes Tor, I just googled it.... well actually I might but I'd have to abandon my pugs half way up!

any other suggestions....? how about some nice cliff walks I can push my wasband off!!!! lol just joking in case he accidentally falls off while we are away!

simonp
70608.  Fri May 19, 2006 6:09 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Gog.

A name associated with Magog, In the Bible, there is nothing to suggest that Magog ( a name that appears in Genesis, Ezeliel and Revelation) is a giant. In the most well known appearence it is possible that Magog is a country whose ruler is Gog. There is, however, a pair of giants associated with Britain called Gog and Magog who are the traditional guardians of the city of London. This may relate to an earlier legend that a single giant called Gogmagog was kiled by the Cornish hero Corin.

During the reign of Elizabeth the first there was "portrayture of two men cut with clubbes in their hands" on Plymouth Hoe, the site is now underneath the Royal Citadel (built during the Civil War). The two men are Gogmagog and Corinaeus. Corinaeus beat Gogmagog and had the neighbouring county named after him, so legend says.
Near the Hoe is a pub with the name The Gog and Magog

S= Geoffrey of Monmouth quoted in Ward Lock and Co's Plymouth and South West Devon Guide 1947

WordLover
100414.  Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:54 pm Reply with quote

AndyE wrote:
Having spent a fun hour or so with mapping software,
Having spent a fun hour or so using rather lower-tech equipment, i.e. moving circular objects about on maps, I think I can improve slightly on AndyE's results. (The low tech was supplemented, by the way, with an algo to calculate the centre of a circle given 3 points on it.)
AndyE wrote:
it would appear that the allegation is in fact correct - the only place in England where one can be four miles from a road is on Dartmoor.
Not so, if I haven't overlooked any salient roads. One question to settle is exactly what is meant by "road". It would appear that AndyE is not counting unclassified roads that are uncoloured on OS Landranger maps: his point near Ullapool, 575338N 45410W (NH279930, if I have calculated correctly) is fairly near various such roads, e.g. one that runs by NH284922. I will not count such roads, but I will count roads that are coloured on OS Landranger maps, even if they are unnumbered or unclassified.

AndyE wrote:
There are a couple of near approaches in the Kielder Forest of Northumberland, but the place to be would seem to be around 503933 N 35932 W.
SX592863, if I have calculated correctly. That's quite near my best point in Dartmoor:
SX594842, 7.19 km (4.47 miles) from:
SX523853, Dartmoor Inn, Lydford
SX648795, Ringhill, nr. Postbridge
SX662866, Batworthy

My best point in mainland England, though, is not in Dartmoor but in the Kielder Forest (thank you, AndyE, for suggesting a search there). There, the point furthest from a road appears to be
NY581857, 7.56 km (4.70 miles) from:
NY517817, Stelshaw Lodge
NY559785, The Flatt
NY632913, by the southern shore of Bakethin Reservoir, Kielder Water

For the whole of mainland Britain, I suggest the following Scottish point:
NM868995, 17.83 km (11.08 miles) from:
NG970141, on the A87 near Malagan Bridge, SE of Shiel Bridge
NM691976, Mallaigvaig, at the eastern end of the road from Mallaig
NM884817, on the A830 W of Glenfinnan

Algorithm to convert from latitude and longitude to OS grid ref: http://www.movable-type.co.uk/scripts/LatLongGridRef.html

AndyE
100610.  Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:50 am Reply with quote

I'm glad there's at least one other person who has such strange ideas for leisure pursuits!

The definition of "road" is indeed a tricky one; I considered a "road" to be something that forms part of the public highway (so farm tracks, Forestry Commission tracks and the like are not included). Which roads are such isn't always apparent from the Landranger maps, and my best estimate was to consider only roads which appear on Autoroute.

Wordlover's point on Dartmoor was about a mile south of mine, and both are certainly in about the right place. A road which runs NE out of Marytavy (east of the A386) and comes to a dead end seems to be the closest to Wordlover's point. I'm making it around 3.8 miles, but it's entirely possible that the road in question is not in fact a public highway.

But OK, it's time to admit a schoolboy error. The suggested point in Kielder Forest does indeed seem to be rather more than 4 miles from a road and may well be the furthest point from a road anywhere in England. Why did I reject points in this area before? Oh dear, I construed the Scottish border as a road. Don't tell Suze ...

That Scottish point, in between Ladhar Beinn and Sgurr na Ciche, is indeed about 11 miles from the roads suggested. But there is a road which runs west from the B8005 at Achnacarry along the north shore of Loch Arkaig. It's not entirely clear to me whether or not that is a public highway - but if it is, its western dead end is a "mere" 6.65 miles from the point nominated.

simonp
100788.  Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:24 pm Reply with quote

I don't know about the road in Marytavy, I shall look it up when i can dig out a sutiable map. (we have many, many maps of Dartmoor) However I'd just like to say that Dartmoor was lovely and quiet this morning now most of the tourists have gone home!!!

Lumpo31
101446.  Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:43 am Reply with quote

In Australia, devon is the name of a type of luncheon meat very popular among school children (especially during the 1970s), particularly in a sandwich. The devon would almost invariably have a "smiley face" applied to it in tomato sauce (ketchup) before the top piece of bread was put on.

I can't stand devon. I asked Hubby to describe what it tastes like, and he was unable to. And he likes it. The worst sort of luncheon meat imaginable. Or unimaginable.

Incidentally, speaking of things given British names, manchester is what Australians call bed linen. I imagine that must come from the olden days of Mancunian cotton mills etc?

Lisa

Tas
101499.  Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:55 am Reply with quote

Quote:
I can't stand devon. I asked Hubby to describe what it tastes like, and he was unable to. And he likes it. The worst sort of luncheon meat imaginable. Or unimaginable.

Sounds like Spam, to me...

:-)

Tas

Lumpo31
101515.  Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:28 am Reply with quote

Tas wrote:
Quote:

Sounds like Spam, to me...

Tas

Oh no...far worse than Spam...

Lisa

WordLover
101538.  Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:47 am Reply with quote

AndyE wrote:
That Scottish point, in between Ladhar Beinn and Sgurr na Ciche, is indeed about 11 miles from the roads suggested. But there is a road which runs west from the B8005 at Achnacarry along the north shore of Loch Arkaig. It's not entirely clear to me whether or not that is a public highway - but if it is, its western dead end is a "mere" 6.65 miles from the point nominated.
Rats. Clearly I didn't look at the Landranger map closely enough. I spent some of last night with the OS web site Get-a-map and offer the following point in the Grampians instead:

NN891833, 15.74 km (9.78 miles) from
NN852976, Achlean
NN895677, Tomnaguie
NO061897, Linn of Dee Cottage

Tas
101543.  Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:51 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh no...far worse than Spam...

Not possible....

(I got sent a lovely Spam advert the other day. Some wag had put on : "It's made from people. Spam is made from people!" I don't know how to put images onto here.)

Tas

Southpaw
101567.  Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:12 am Reply with quote

You have to upload them to a webspace some where, then link to them with img tags in []'s.

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next