View previous topic | View next topic

Devon

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Frederick The Monk
34103.  Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:32 am Reply with quote

That's right Jenny. I'm certainly not suggesting that more people were killed in the PBR than in both world wars. It was bad, but not that bad. Besides, there weren't that many people in the West Country in the 16th century to kill.

Frederick The Monk
34104.  Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:34 am Reply with quote

samivel wrote:
That Prayerbook Rebellion info is fascinating - is there an internet source where I could discover more?

I'm afraid I don't know a web resource off hand (although I'm sure there is one). There is however a very good book by Mark Stoyle called West Britons: Cornish Identities and the Early Modern British State. It sounds a little dry I know but it's actually wonderful.

Last edited by Frederick The Monk on Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

samivel
34240.  Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:14 pm Reply with quote

I'll have a look for it in the library, thank you :)

Behn
67995.  Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:54 pm Reply with quote

Devon has the highest number of church bell peals in any county in the UK.

Also, I alledgedly heard that the furthest away from a road you can be in England is on Dartmoor.

BondiTram
67999.  Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:34 pm Reply with quote

Behn wrote:

Also, I alledgedly heard that the furthest away from a road you can be in England is on Dartmoor.

You mean, you're not sure if your ears were deceiving you??

Or am I confusing the Prayer Book Revolt with the Pedant's Revolt?

Behn
68053.  Mon May 01, 2006 7:32 am Reply with quote

Yep, as I can't believe the original statement I refuse to trust my hearing and perception in this case. Maybe one person will prove this for me so that this fact can enter my own particular version of reality.

AndyE
68100.  Mon May 01, 2006 11:41 am Reply with quote

Having spent a fun hour or so with mapping software, it would appear that the allegation is in fact correct - the only place in England where one can be four miles from a road is on Dartmoor.

There are a couple of near approaches in the Kielder Forest of Northumberland, but the place to be would seem to be around 503933 N 35932 W.

Here, in fact (I've transposed the point into Autoroute because it's easier to make a JPG from.)

The red dot is the place in question, the yellow dots are the nearest roads.

Copyright 1988-2004 Microsoft Corp. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved. http://www.microsoft.com/autoroute/ 1993-2003 NAVTEQ and its suppliers. All rights reserved. Crown Copyright 2004. All rights reserved. License number 100025500.

gerontius grumpus
68102.  Mon May 01, 2006 11:51 am Reply with quote

It seems a bit sad that England is so lacking in wide open spaces.
Quite interestingly, Devon claims to have the greatest mileage of roads of any English county.

laidbacklazyman
68104.  Mon May 01, 2006 11:59 am Reply with quote

Behn wrote:

of course the furthest in the United Kingdom would be Sark I suppose

laidbacklazyman
68111.  Mon May 01, 2006 12:18 pm Reply with quote

There also seems to be a distinct lack of roads on Lundy Island, some tracks but thats about all.

As part of Devon, it counts as England but I wonder how far away it is

AndyE
68116.  Mon May 01, 2006 1:05 pm Reply with quote

Damn! You are right of course - there are no roads on Lundy Island.

The northern tip of Lundy Island would therefore be the furthest from a road; it's approximately 14.8 miles from the nearest road, which ends just short of Hartland Point. My excuse is that I was only considering the mainland!

As for the United Kingdom as a whole, well Sark is out because it doesn't form part of the United Kingdom. Although there are no cars on Sark, there are roads of a sort, and in any case the furthest point of Sark is only 8 miles from Guernsey which certainly does have roads.

In the remoter parts of Scotland, there are many places further from a road than the part of Dartmoor previously mentioned. But the furthest must be Rockall, which lies 166 miles west of St Kilda - where there are roads, even though there is no permanent population.

On the mainland, a quick look would suggest that 575338N 45410W might be over seven miles from a road. It's 9.4 miles due east of Ullapool just south of Loch an Daimh.

Celebaelin
68156.  Mon May 01, 2006 7:30 pm Reply with quote

Is there a road on Rockall? I'm thinking not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockall

Trixie
68165.  Tue May 02, 2006 3:02 am Reply with quote

George Ley built the pack o' cards Inn, after winning money gambling, it was built on a plot of land measuring 52 x 52 feet, a four storey house with 13 fireplaces, thirteen doors on each floor, 52 stairs and 36 windows.

AND Paul Daniels did a magic trick from there.

I am going to Devon for my holiday this year I have never been before I am excited!

suze
68175.  Tue May 02, 2006 5:19 am Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
Is there a road on Rockall?

No there isn't - which is how it comes to be all that large number of miles away from a road. I shall take my husband to task over his syntax, but what he meant was that the nearest road to Rockall is 166 miles away in St Kilda. Were it not for the existence of roads on St Kilda, the nearest road to Rockall would be another 70 miles or so further away still on North Uist.

BondiTram
68182.  Tue May 02, 2006 6:40 am Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
Is there a road on Rockall? I'm thinking not.

Rockall, in fact.

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next