View previous topic | View next topic

Insanity

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

sjb
761565.  Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:03 am Reply with quote

I believe that Guiteau's brain (and other bits) and President Garfield's spine are preserved at the National Museum of Health and Medicine in Washington (next to Walter Reed Medical Center).

Ah, yes . . . here we go.

His brain looks suspiciously like a jar of gefilte fish I bought the other day.

In any case, the lead psychological advisor for the prosecution (John P. Gray) argued strongly that Guiteau was sane but eaten up by egotism. Other physicians (including Charles J. Folsom) who interviewed Guiteau disagreed and found Guiteau's mental state to be

Quote:
clearly one of weakness due, possibly, to some very early, if not congenital, form of insanity, or to the dementia produced by disease, mild if chronic, organic if acute, possibly what some alienists would call the insane temperament or partial (moral) imbecility.

Well, the rest of Folsom's account can be read here.

Comparing the psycho-legal jargon of today and 130 years ago is quite an interesting task.

bobwilson
761690.  Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:01 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
Yes, every quotation attributed to Einstein turns out to be misattributed - including, apparently:

Hang on - what? and similar epithets

springhorton
778953.  Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:15 pm Reply with quote

As an undergrad I did a presentation on insanity and found that the most insane things about it were the treatments that were used by early practioners of the mental health field. Robert Whitaker wrote a very interesting book that focused on the industry in America called Mad in America. Many of these practices were used around the world to treat psychosis.

Some of them include the well known horrors of electroshock therapy and insulin coma, both of which can lead to permanent brain damage. And of course, lobotomy, prefrontal which involved cutting holes into the forehead and cutting nerves and transoribital also known as the ice pick lobotomy. It allowed the procedure to be done more quickly, but a lot less acurately. An instrument known as a leucotome was insterted between the eye and the upper lid and then tapped to create holes in the frontal lobe to regulate mood. The lobotomy was invented in 1935 in Lisbon by a man named Egas Moniz. Another scary thought, especially considered in the early 20th century was the idea of eugenics where mental illness would be elimintated by breeding it out (i.e. not letting mentally ill people have children.)

On a stranger note, though not unexpected, sex was seen as the route of all mental illness, especially if you were a woman in the Victorian period. Disorders included nymphomania and female hysteria. The Victorian description of nymphomaniac was any woman who had been assaulted, born illegitimate children, masturbated or was promiscuous. The clitoris was to blame for this and if found to be too large was actually removed in a surgical procedure called a clitorechtomy. Female hysteria dates back to ancient Greece and was used to explain everything from irratability to muscle spasms. In Greece it was thought to be caused by a wandering uterus that made women ill. The treatment was pelvic massage that was done until the patient experienced hysterical paroxysm (also known as orgasm.) This treatment was very difficult and trying for the doctor of course so new therapies were created, including hydrotherapy devices created in Bath in the early 19th century until, finally, in 1870 the first mechanical vibrator was created. It was clockwork driven and available only to physicians.
[/img]

greentree
779607.  Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:39 pm Reply with quote

This article: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/insight-therapy/201009/the-masturbation-gap
has a brief history of the subject, including mentioning doctors masturbating women as a cure for hysteria.

If you want a fictional-but-based-in-truth read about mental hospitals in the 40s and 50s in New Zealand, Janet Frame's 'Faces in the water' is good. Some of the treatments described there are a bit scary.

Ion Zone
780320.  Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:08 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Surely you can't anthropomorphise depression as a dog, black or otherwise?

In traditional terms, you can, Europe has a vast number of stories about back dogs.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com//comics/00000362.jpg

Last edited by Ion Zone on Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

samivel
780336.  Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:31 pm Reply with quote

Explain, please.

Ion Zone
780339.  Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote

(Elaborated through an edit)

Black dogs are traditionally seen as roaming spirits, harbingers and personifications of death (and can be evil or benevolent) in many countries. Hence the Grim (and Dementors, who are of the same idea) in Harry Potter, as well as the Hound of the Baskervilles, etc, which are based on these stories.

Thus if you are depressed you are being "followed by a black dog".

samivel
780348.  Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quote

Ah, then you've misunderstood my post, which was highlighting the incongruity of 'anthropomorphising' depression as a dog when to anthropomorphise something means to give it human form or attribute human characteristics to it.

Ion Zone
780355.  Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:28 pm Reply with quote

I thought it an incredibly minor mistake that wasn't worth mentioning.

Quote:
Some of them include the well known horrors of electroshock therapy

Which is still in use (along with powerful medication prescribed to anyone who tells their doctor they feel depressed or any child who is a bit hyper).

samivel
780432.  Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:33 pm Reply with quote

Ion Zone wrote:
I thought it an incredibly minor mistake that wasn't worth mentioning.

I was only mentioning it in passing.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2