View previous topic | View next topic

Why no Clive Anderson?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Zach24
732445.  Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:07 am Reply with quote

Clive Anderson is my favourite panelist. He's got an incredibly quick wit and has demonstrated a great general knowledge as well. Is there any reason that he didn't appear in any of the H series episodes? Is anyone else disappointed he wasn't featured?

sandman2000k
732453.  Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:43 am Reply with quote

Its like when Rory McGrath(SP) was on if the panellists know the answers the show becomes very stilted.

soup
732473.  Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:50 am Reply with quote

sandman2000k wrote:
Its like when Rory McGrath(SP) was on if the panellists know the answers the show becomes very stilted.

He seemed to think he was on a quiz show (rather than a comedy panel show that is sort of based on a quiz and the scores don't really matter) that he tried to show how clever he was by winning, and 'pontificating' on things he knew in depth (e.g. The latin names of birds).

sandman2000k
732515.  Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote

and the show went so dry

vantheman
734827.  Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:23 am Reply with quote

sandman2000k wrote:

I disagree with this. Clive (unlike, say, Gyles Brandreth or Rory McGrath) never attempted to dominate the panels or to show off his knowledge. He'd throw out nuggets of information that seemed to me in keeping with the dual purposes of the show (i.e., humour and interestingness). I certainly hope he was just busy during this taping session and that he'll be back sooner or later.

Spud McLaren
734855.  Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:49 pm Reply with quote

vantheman wrote:
sandman2000k wrote:

I disagree with this. Clive (unlike, say, Gyles Brandreth or Rory McGrath) never attempted to dominate the panels or to show off his knowledge. He'd throw out nuggets of information that seemed to me in keeping with the dual purposes of the show (i.e., humour and interestingness). I certainly hope he was just busy during this taping session and that he'll be back sooner or later.
I second that (all of it). And third it too.

Totoro
746714.  Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:44 pm Reply with quote

Can I fourth that? :)

Brandreth is INCREDIBLY annoying, he just takes over the show. Clive Anderson is excellent.

exnihilo
747776.  Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:41 pm Reply with quote

Ooh, ooh, can we have another thread discussing the relative merits of the same few panelists? Eight's just not enough!

samivel
747784.  Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:03 pm Reply with quote

lol

Posital
747792.  Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:46 pm Reply with quote

these threads are like london buses.

Hanging around waiting for a thread on the merits of a particular few panellists to come along... and then half a dozen of them all start up at once...

bombmaniac
751906.  Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:40 am Reply with quote

i actually find Gyles Brandreth to be quite entertaining and interesting. i particularly enjoy watching when he is one of the panelists. for me there is enough humour in the show already to account for his long winded accounts of everything historical, factual, and interesting.

Rory McGrath on the other hand, is a boring know it all, with an awful voice, a face like the nerd in your class at high school, and hair like Seinfeld's Kramer. there is nothing engaging about him, and i personally am glad the show is rid of him. i used to sit there watching, waiting until he would just shut up so i could go back to enjoying the usual QI goodness.

Just Say No To Vorderman
752568.  Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:35 am Reply with quote

I like Clive Anderson..and Gyles brandreth and Rory McGrath..they always tell me things I didn't know..which is one of the main reasons I love the show in the first place..I'd prefer more know it alls and less funny men

Untutored Eye
752622.  Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:48 am Reply with quote

exnihilo wrote:
Ooh, ooh, can we have another thread discussing the relative merits of the same few panelists? Eight's just not enough!

Point taken but new people like to share their views too, and so old threads tend to get resurrected and/or there is overlap with new ones created. This is a pain for the old hands (of which I have been on other fora) so I do understand the annoyance.

I've just had a quick search and can't find a sub category for Panellists.
Maybe the site could do with a special section for them, sorted alphabetically, where every thread concerning someone can be lodged? Mods?

FWIW, Clive is one of my favourites. He stays out of the 'know it all' category with a sense of humilty and usually chimes in with a good understanding of the necessary comic element.

vantheman
752930.  Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:41 am Reply with quote

Untutored Eye wrote:
exnihilo wrote:

Point taken but new people like to share their views too, and so old threads tend to get resurrected and/or there is overlap with new ones created. This is a pain for the old hands (of which I have been on other fora) so I do understand the annoyance.

FWIW, Clive is one of my favourites. He stays out of the 'know it all' category with a sense of humilty and usually chimes in with a good understanding of the necessary comic element.

Although, to be fair, the absence of Clive after seven consecutive series is rather conspicuous and curious, something which the original poster queried. It's all rather (er...) QI if you ask me, and recalls the questions which emerged when Bill Bailey bailed for the F series. I'm certainly curious why he's not around this season, esp. given his camaraderie with Stephen and the other panelists and his apparent fondness for the show as a game.

Untutored Eye
752935.  Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:01 am Reply with quote

vantheman wrote:
Although, to be fair, the absence of Clive after seven consecutive series is rather conspicuous and curious, something which the original poster queried. It's all rather (er...) QI if you ask me, and recalls the questions which emerged when Bill Bailey bailed for the F series. I'm certainly curious why he's not around this season, esp. given his camaraderie with Stephen and the other panelists and his apparent fondness for the show as a game.

Hi vantheman.

Living in relative lack of civilization, I haven't been fortunate enough to see series H yet.

I would guess that many periods of absence would be due to circumstances we are not privy to - other commitments, scheduling, time in prison etc.

Was Bill on tour for the filming of the F series? I don't keep up with such matters or what else the panellists do in the UK, but I do hope to see Clive back in the fold.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next