View previous topic | View next topic

Spiders & Tarantulas

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Do you find Spiders/Tarantulas scary, threatening etc basically do you have Arachnaphobia?
Yes
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
No
83%
 83%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 12

I-Like-Qi-More-Than-U
732091.  Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:01 pm Reply with quote

Ok - this has annoyed me for a while people often say that spiders EAT well... THEY DON'T
Their venom (or whatever you want to call it) digests the preys insides then they DRINK THEIR VICTIM
they do not eat their victim.
Also the bird-eating tarantula DOES eat birds - when they can they climb into nests and 'drink' baby birds. and finally WHY ARE PEOPLE SO SCARED OF SPIDERS????? it's just an arachnid.

I-Like-Qi-More-Than-U
732093.  Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:05 pm Reply with quote

For those who wonder WHY spiders do not scare me is because I have had pet tarantulas usually two or three at a time and have been holding them from the age of about 3.
Anyway - post your thoughts and feelings on spiders and their larger counterparts, tarantulas!

Spud McLaren
732107.  Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:05 pm Reply with quote

I-Like-Qi-More-Than-U wrote:
... WHY ARE PEOPLE SO SCARED OF SPIDERS????? it's just an arachnid.
Good question. If I knew the source of my (fairly mild) arachnophobia, I wouldn't have it for very much longer.

Ameena
732156.  Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:20 pm Reply with quote

Might be an instinctive thing - being scared of something which is potentially quite dangerous...

Jenny
732342.  Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote

Scuttling - rapid unpredictable movement - is something I am not keen on wherever it comes from.

Efros
732371.  Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:00 pm Reply with quote

Cockroaches specifically the Asian variety found in Singapore, commonly known as Bombay runners, are about the only insect that bothers me. Just had a look for a decent pic but even looking at them makes me jumpy. Anyway they are anything up to 4" long, they can fly, making a noise akin to a Sea King helicopter that's some distance away. When they land they run off like Ben Johnson on amphetamine, hence their name. When we lived in Singapore even our dog had issues with these things, my mum had a wooden mallet that she used to kill the blighters as the usual flip flop failed to kill on the first blow.

I-Like-Qi-More-Than-U
732591.  Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:55 am Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
Cockroaches specifically the Asian variety found in Singapore, commonly known as Bombay runners, are about the only insect that bothers me. Just had a look for a decent pic but even looking at them makes me jumpy. Anyway they are anything up to 4" long, they can fly, making a noise akin to a Sea King helicopter that's some distance away. When they land they run off like Ben Johnson on amphetamine, hence their name. When we lived in Singapore even our dog had issues with these things, my mum had a wooden mallet that she used to kill the blighters as the usual flip flop failed to kill on the first blow.

They sound gross but I've never seen one so I dunno if they bother me - I'll have a looksie for one online but there's nothing insect-like or spider-like that has bothered me yet

bemahan
732615.  Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:50 am Reply with quote

The 4" cockroaches would scare me, but then I don't like big insects. One that particularly made me hide behind the sofa are scutigeras. I can't find any images on Google that live up to the ones I saw on "Deadly 60" in the Gomantong Caves in Malaysia.

Efros
732636.  Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:21 am Reply with quote

Scutigeras

The infamous bat cave in Borneo with the moving dung heap. If that doesn't make your skin crawl then nothing will.

DarrenK
732701.  Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:55 am Reply with quote

I quite like spiders and tarantulas. I just don't like it when I wake up in the middle of the night with one in my mouth! (Happened when I was about 14, and was not fun!)

Just out of interest, what percentage of spiders are actually poisonous?

I-Like-Qi-More-Than-U
732705.  Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:59 am Reply with quote

DarrenK wrote:
I quite like spiders and tarantulas. I just don't like it when I wake up in the middle of the night with one in my mouth!

Humans swallow on average - 8 spiders per year by them crawling into open mouths at night - you just happened to be unlucky and woke up
Sorry =P

Efros
732719.  Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:09 am Reply with quote

DarrenK wrote:
I quite like spiders and tarantulas. I just don't like it when I wake up in the middle of the night with one in my mouth! (Happened when I was about 14, and was not fun!)

Just out of interest, what percentage of spiders are actually poisonous?

I think something similar may be the source of my problem with Bombay runners, I can vividly remember getting out of bed one morning and putting on my shorts, on making my way to the bathroom I remember putting my hand in one of my pockets and extracting one of the blighters.

Spud McLaren
732721.  Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:16 am Reply with quote

Humans swallow on average - 8 spiders per year by them crawling into open mouths at night - you just happened to be unlucky and woke up
Sorry =P
ILQIMTU, I have to thank you. I have often wondered about the origins of this "factoid", and your post reminded me to look it up - it's here.

orablu
732733.  Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:01 am Reply with quote

i'm not scared of spiders either; i don't think them cuddly sweet beasties, either, mind.
i've never deliberately killed a spider, either (or any other insect).

centipedes/millepedes, however, do give me the creeps; i hate those things. they actually send shivers down my spine; don't know why.

I-Like-Qi-More-Than-U
732737.  Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:33 am Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
Sorry =P
ILQIMTU, I have to thank you. I have often wondered about the origins of this "factoid", and your post reminded me to look it up - it's here.

Damn it - I guess I get the buzzers and -10 points then....

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next