View previous topic | View next topic

What are you reading today ?

Page 169 of 169
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 167, 168, 169

Jenny
1390297.  Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:51 am Reply with quote

Life is too short to read a book you're not enjoying, unless you have to.

AlmondFacialBar
1390343.  Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:15 am Reply with quote

Started Guns, Germs and Steel now after seeing so much praise heaped upon it here and... Yes, I can see how it would be fascinating, but given this is the 20th anniversary edition I do wish he had updated the first chapter. What he says about human evolution since early Homo erectus there wasn't even received wisdom anymore when he wrote it and is less so now. As it is, I wouldn't want that chapter to fall into the hands of someone who's not aware of that.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

extremophilesheep
1390607.  Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:40 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Life is too short to read a book you're not enjoying, unless you have to.

I have to. I wish I knew what it said though. But more so I wish I'd not gotten the course date wrong. I thought it was today. It was not. It was yesterday. And nobody send me a message.

AlmondFacialBar
1390969.  Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:34 am Reply with quote

John Kampfner - Why the Germans do it better. Notes from a grown up Country.

Needless to say, the title made my jaw drop to the floor and that motivated me to buy it. It's a mesmerising read. (Apart from the fact that it's fascinating to get a benevolent English perspective on how we tick, it's also just made me realise why my friend S****e insists on driving dreadful old jalopies against all better logic, gosh!)

AlmondFacialBar

Jenny
1390984.  Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:23 am Reply with quote

I'm reading the Woodward/Costa book "Peril", which is jaw-dropping in its confirmation of everything you might have thought about what went on in the Trump White House before the last election and between then and Biden's inauguration.

crissdee
1391969.  Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:03 pm Reply with quote

I started Tim O'Brien's If I Die in a Combat Zone as I had heard it was one of the seminal Vietnam memoirs. Sorry, but he just comes across as a whiny pr*tt who seems to think that, because he has read Plato and Aristotle, he (and only he) is equipped to comment on the morality of the war in Indo China.. He looks down on almost everyone else he comes across, and condemns them as lesser beings because they went along with what the state told them.

Efros
1391975.  Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:33 pm Reply with quote

Long time since I read it but 365 days by Ronald Glasser left a huge impression on me.

Awitt
1391983.  Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:07 pm Reply with quote

Cruden Farm garden diaries by Michael Morrison. Started in 1984 to keep track of the annual cycles and other things.

He was (could still be) the head gardener for Dame Elisabeth Murdoch at her property just a few kms down the road from my place.

I'm using it as background for the current plant course assignment of pests in the garden.

Jenny
1392027.  Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:02 am Reply with quote

I've just started a novel called Between the Helpless and the Darkness, written by an e-friend (we've known each other over twenty years but only on line) who is a former pig-farmer and lives in Minnesota. His name is Brent Olson and he has a syndicated column in various newspapers, which is called Independently Speaking, has published several books of his collected columns, and is generally a lovely man.

The novel begins from the point of view of the Viking chief Harald Hardrada at the Battle of Stamford Bridge, and is very bloodthirsty so far. Rattling good yarn though.

tetsabb
1392052.  Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:56 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:

The novel begins from the point of view of the Viking chief Harald Hardrada at the Battle of Stamford Bridge, and is very bloodthirsty so far. Rattling good yarn though.

Since becoming a fan of Jodi Taylor, I might have trouble reading any historically based book ever again, without wondering if there is going to be an appearance by a tough, sturdy redheaded woman and her gang....

crissdee
1392056.  Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:36 pm Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
Long time since I read it but 365 days by Ronald Glasser left a huge impression on me.

I shall look out for that. I thoroughly enjoyed CHICKENHAWK by Robert Mason.

AlmondFacialBar
1392805.  Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:16 pm Reply with quote

Charlie Gilmour - Featherhood

An exploration of fatherhood inspired by rescuing a magpie chick. Ultimately a sweet story, but with some serious bumps along the road. Also, the passage where said magpie decides that Dave Gilmour should be the father of her chicks should have been a Syd song.

AlmondFacialBar

Page 169 of 169
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 167, 168, 169