View previous topic | View next topic

What are you reading today ?

Page 167 of 170
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 166, 167, 168, 169, 170  Next

tetsabb
1383949.  Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:30 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
I've just bought my younger son the first ten books of Jodi Taylor's "Chronicles of St Mary's" series. I know he'll love them.

Spreading the gospel to the uninitiated! Good girl!

Efros
1384218.  Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:05 am Reply with quote

Stumbled across a Maine writer of crime fiction (Paul Doiron, he writes the Mike Bowditch novels about a game warden), will be giving him a test run this week.

RLDavies
1384222.  Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:42 am Reply with quote

Finally getting around to reading "Fire, Burn!" by John Dickson Carr, which I've owned for a few years but haven't picked up until now.

It has a strange premise -- a CID Detective-Inspector with a lifelong interest in the early 19th century and Robert Peel setting up the police force, and who has often imagined (as we all have, one way or another) what it would be like to go back there with all one's modern knowledge. Inexplicably, he suddenly finds himself in 1829. Even more inexplicably, everyone in 1829 already seems to know him. And then, of course, this being John Dickson Carr, there's an impossible murder.

crissdee
1384224.  Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:52 am Reply with quote

RLDavies wrote:
.....who has often imagined (as we all have, one way or another) what it would be like to go back there with all one's modern knowledge.......

Imagining what it would be like to live in the Victorian era? Me? No, never. Not at all....

Jenny
1384247.  Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:50 am Reply with quote

That John Dickson Carr book looks good - I've bought it for my Kindle. Thanks RLD.

RLDavies
1384285.  Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:18 am Reply with quote

It's getting better and better! There's a strong romance element, which is usually enough to put me off, but it's well integrated.

Carr did meticulous research for it. There's an appendix called "Notes for the Curious" showing just how carefully the fiction is embedded into the historical fact.

Jenny
1384301.  Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:18 am Reply with quote

I've just started reading it. I haven't read any of his books for years now, and his style comes over as somewhat old-fashioned, but he's nonetheless readable.

barbados
1384334.  Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:42 pm Reply with quote

Currently on Book 3 of the Ben Hope series by Scott Mariani.
Enjoying it so far.
Think Dan Brown meets Andy McNab on the set of Mission Impossible.
The only down side is there is often a couple of stories running concurrently

tetsabb
1384373.  Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:40 am Reply with quote

barbados wrote:

Think Dan Brown meets Andy McNab on the set of Mission Impossible.

Sorry, is that supposed to be a recommendation?

crissdee
1384400.  Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:42 am Reply with quote

Well, Mission Impossible (the Peter Graves version) was a good laugh, and Andy McNab made a fair fist of telling his Gulf War story, beyond that, I can't see anything to recommend it.

Jenny
1385426.  Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:30 am Reply with quote

I'm reading Richard Thompson's autobiography, Beeswing, an unexpected gift from a recently-made American friend who likes Fairport Convention and Richard Thompson as much as I do.

I am really enjoying it - his lifetime and mine pretty much overlap so there's a lot of stuff that I recognise and a lot about music that I enjoy.

extremophilesheep
1385492.  Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:22 am Reply with quote

Today, I'm having repairs done in the house and I never know quite what to do, so I'm reading all kinds of things at once -
Katherine Rundell's The Wolf Wilder; Terry Pratchett's Feet of clay and in between bits of Don Rosa's Scrooge stories.

crissdee
1386572.  Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:24 pm Reply with quote

I have just started reading a book called "Bluebirds". No, I haven't just developed an interest in ornithology, this book is written by one Ms Gina Campbell, whose father was Donald of that ilk, and her grandfather was Sir Malcom of that ilk. The Bluebirds in question were various iterations of large and insanely fast cars and boats.

Ms Campbell opens the work describing how, when she was setting the women's water speed record, her boat began to flip over, just as her father's had in the crash that ended his life. She was heard over the radio to exclaim;

"Oh shit! I'm coming to join you Dad!"

Fortunately, she survived, but the seat of her racing overalls and her lower undergarments did not.....

Further to this however, is a point which may engender some discussion on these boards. She notes that, at least at the time of writing the book, that there is no "official" women's water speed record. I have to say, why the h*ll should there be? Racing/record breaking in any powered vehicle, is one of the few areas where neither gender has an advantage over the other. I am much bigger and stronger than the delightful Vicky Butler-Henderson, or the late lamented Sabine Schmidt, but I have no doubt whatsoever that either of them could drive any given car faster than me, simply because they are/were better drivers than I will ever be. Nor do I doubt that there are female jet-qualified pilots who could, with the necessary familiarisation, drive Thrust SSC, or even Bloodhound, just as fast as Andy Green.

What say you lot?

suze
1386591.  Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:46 pm Reply with quote

From one end, I want to agree with you. If I say it myself I'm a better driver than the good husband, and while neither of us has the slightest intention of climbing into a Formula 1 car or a speedboat and racing one another, I reckon I'd win.

But from the other end, only two women have ever started a championship F1 Grand Prix. One of them did once take sixth place in a race where most of the cars crashed into one another and only eight were running by the end, but otherwise they did not set F1 on fire.

It's rather lower profile, but there is also such a thing as F1 speedboat racing. Most of the contestants appear to be eccentric millionaires even before they race speedboats, and there are a couple of women on the circuit - but again, they have met with little success.

If there is a reason for this lack of female success I don't know what it is, and that's a subject on which PDR would probably be better able than most to comment.

barbados
1386599.  Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:06 am Reply with quote

The F1 thing is a simple answer - most of the winning is done by the car, not the driver. And you cannot make a poor car win races in one season without a good experienced driver.

Page 167 of 170
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 166, 167, 168, 169, 170  Next