View previous topic | View next topic

What are you reading today ?

Page 38 of 74
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 72, 73, 74  Next

Arcane
911887.  Sat May 26, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote

You'll get there XD

Anytime a male character uses "baby" to describe the female in a book instantly makes me cringe and think its written by a man who believes women actually want to be called that. Any romantic prospect who calls me baby will be speedily told not to do it again. Ever. It's tacky, oily, and woefully immature.

zomgmouse
911897.  Sat May 26, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote

What about Lauren Bacall?

filofax
914869.  Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:11 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Arcane wrote:
simultaneous orgasms each and every time they had sex

Who even wants that, let alone actually experiences it?

We might be going slightly off topic here, but I don't think it sounds like a bad idea, frankly. Yup, I might want that occasionally.

'yorz
914965.  Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:23 am Reply with quote

<queues behind filo>

zomgmouse
914990.  Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:46 am Reply with quote

I finished three books by Raymond Chandler: The Big Sleep, Farewell, My Lovely and The Long Good Bye. All excellent, getting darker and wearier across the three books. I really dig his language.

Also read Gun, with Occasional Music by Jonathan Lethem. A fantastic concept ruined by not-so-fantastic writing.

suze
914998.  Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:05 am Reply with quote

filofax wrote:
We might be going slightly off topic here, but I don't think it sounds like a bad idea, frankly. Yup, I might want that occasionally.

Occasionally is fine. But speaking strictly for myself, the preferred outcome most of the time is that I come before he does.

Since these are family forums I'll refrain from explaining precisely why and how that works for us, but it does.

Oceans Edge
919036.  Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:13 am Reply with quote

I'm curling up with Lt Com Rupert T Gould RN (Ret)'s The Stargazer Tales courtesy of Spud and M Godding Books Ltd of Potterne Wiltshire. Very very nice indeed - arrived very promptly very nicely packaged - wrapped terribly neatly in acid free tissue paper and shipped in a nice padded envelope with a cordial hand written note. Gods I love proper old booksellers - I do recommend this one on the strength of this one order. (yes they have a website)

So far (only a few pages in) it seems a lovely read, and I'm looking forward to spending the afternoon with it, a cuppa, and some nice shortbread biscuits.

Efros
919058.  Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:03 pm Reply with quote

Just finished The Long Earth, nice change for Terry Pratchett, the collaboration with Stephen Baxter works well. I wonder if we're going to see a series of these. Certainly there is a lot of groundwork going on, enjoyable and page turning none the less.

Spud McLaren
919064.  Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote

Oceans Edge wrote:
I'm curling up with Lt Com Rupert T Gould RN (Ret)'s The Stargazer Tales courtesy of Spud and M Godding Books Ltd of Potterne Wiltshire. Very very nice indeed ...
Glad you like it. Although I believe the title is The Stargazer Talks. One of the sections is on brainteasers - I contemplated posting a few on here.

Oceans Edge
919065.  Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:42 pm Reply with quote

Oh.. yes you're quite right.... my fingers are getting ahead of my brains again :)

'yorz
919066.  Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
I think Midnight's Children was the only book of Salman Rushdie's I've read that I a) actually enjoyed reading and b) was able to finish. All the others I've started proved so tedious I didn't bother finishing them.

I'm rereading this thread for ideas, and came across the above post from 2010.
I found Haroun and the Sea of Stories very readable. It's quite a while a go, so can't be more precise than that, but I would recommend it.

Efros
919084.  Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote

Pterry & Stephen wrote:
Sister Serendipity is a world expert on cookery through the ages. In particular she has a book by somebody called Dorothy Hartley, called Food in England. Serendipity knows all that stuff; she can make a good meal out of anything. You should see her roadkill hot pot, always a favourite. She taught me a lot about living off the land.’
‘It is remarkable for a woman with such skills to devote her time to unfortunate young people. Such dedication.’
Joshua nodded. ‘Well, yes. And maybe also because she is wanted by the FBI, which is why she doesn’t go out much and sleeps in the basement. Sister Agnes said that it was all a big misunderstanding, and in any case the bullet missed the senator by a mile. They don’t talk about it much.’

Thought I'd share a typical piece from The Long Earth.

Jenny
919089.  Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote

I am in the middle of reading that right now, but I haven't reached that paragraph yet.

Efros
919094.  Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote

Oops sorry

zomgmouse
919138.  Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:37 pm Reply with quote

I read Who Goes There?, a novella by Joseph Campbell Jr. that served as the basis for the The Thing films. The idea's quite good, but the writing is fucking awful. Just terrible.
These are the opening lines:
Quote:
The place stank. A queer, mingled stench that only the ice-buried cabins of an Antarctic camp know, compounded of reeking human sweat, and the heavy, fish-oil stench of melted seal blubber.

And there are plenty of other examples.

Page 38 of 74
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 72, 73, 74  Next