View previous topic | View next topic

What are you drinking today?

Page 26 of 28
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next

Celebaelin
1348554.  Mon May 18, 2020 4:05 pm Reply with quote

It tasted stronger than that

Tennents Super is 9%
Tennents Extra is 9.3% (there seems to be more of a difference)

I'd have thought Elephant was somewhere near Super but I'll accept that it's only 7% (7.2%?) - maybe I shouldn't have been such a wimp and taken a third tin off the guys.

Celebaelin
1348793.  Thu May 21, 2020 10:30 am Reply with quote

A Zombie with added Cointreau and Southern Comfort.

It's delicious - I might name it.*

What? I felt too warm@ to go for a walk so I decided to get tipsy rather than sweaty.

@ 23C, 39% humidity, wind 3mph - it's a gorgeous latish spring day and far too nice to spoil with anything but the most pleasurable of activities.

* Because I saw a guy who looked a bit like Nathan Fillion earlier on when I was shopping I'm going to call it a Serenity.

That choice marginally edged out the zombie-related Slither.

Celebaelin
1349361.  Thu May 28, 2020 3:44 pm Reply with quote

Harvey Wallbangers... ish... stuff.

V&O + Amaretto (should be Galliano but that's really difficult to get).

On balance Pernod (etc. - the base of Galliano) numbs my tongue so I think I prefer Amaretto. If that's not considered a thing then I guess I get to say it's called by a different name.

I think Hardly Wallbanger is good.

crissdee
1349368.  Thu May 28, 2020 4:08 pm Reply with quote

As I may have mentioned before, I hate Pernod with a passion. Many years ago, I was served a Southern Comfort via an optic which had not been properly cleaned after being used for Pernod. I was not a happy bunny at all, and the fact that the establishment in question had no more SC to hand did not improve matters. I had not at that time made the acquaintance of Uncle Jack, so I had to go to my fall-back position of Malibu (yeah, I know, but I had/have a sweet tooth, and I like coconut.)

Celebaelin
1349371.  Thu May 28, 2020 4:22 pm Reply with quote

Not that it seems likely to be a problem in the near future but FWIW my establishment is adequately furnished with Southern Comfort at pretty much all times; the rare exceptions being barely worth mentioning.

Efros
1349375.  Thu May 28, 2020 6:05 pm Reply with quote

Alabama Slammers are pretty good.

1 measure Sloe Gin, 1 measure Southern Comfort, 1 measure Amaretto made up with Orange juice.

crissdee
1349819.  Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:02 pm Reply with quote

I just had some Jack Daniels in fresh orange juice (had no Coke and didn't want to start drinking it neat, I have limited kidney function!). By deity it was damnably good! A fairly generous measure in a tall tumbler of OJ, pukka stuff!

Dix
1349823.  Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:18 pm Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
It tasted stronger than that

Tennents Super is 9%
Tennents Extra is 9.3% (there seems to be more of a difference)

I'd have thought Elephant was somewhere near Super but I'll accept that it's only 7% (7.2%?) - maybe I shouldn't have been such a wimp and taken a third tin off the guys.

https://www.carlsberggroup.com/products/wiibroe/wiibroe-argangsol/

Just thought I'd mention it...

Efros
1349827.  Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:56 pm Reply with quote

This stuff was fairly popular in Glasgow in the late 80s.

https://www.globalbeer.com/beers/piraat-ale/

Celebaelin
1349882.  Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:25 pm Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
Alabama Slammers are pretty good.

1 measure Sloe Gin, 1 measure Southern Comfort, 1 measure Amaretto made up with Orange juice.

The Sloe Gin might be tricky to get hold of - I seem to remember having seen it on sale commercially but I'm unsure where.

Long Island Iced Tea(s?) again.

I've accidentally over-bought dark rum - I bought a half bottle of generic and then, having forgotten that I'd made that decision, I bought a litre of Lamb's... it was on offer, that's my only excuse.

I nearly committed the exact same sin with white rum about an hour ago but I'm not quite so keen to have 'the brand' over a generic with white rum.

The (on offer) big brand worked out at £11.90 for 70cl as opposed to £11.00 for the generic and I managed to resist the temptation to get £0.90 out of me for branding!

Aaaaaaanyway, that Wiibroe label is strange - some sort of cross between a DriderTM and a Gibbering MoutherTM*. As I understand it legally I cannot link to images of these monsters but I can describe them in my own words I guess so...

Drider - imagine a centaur except rather than a horse from the waist down it's a spider; yes folks, these things have two thoraxes and two abdomens ...or do they? Centaurs do but the arachnoid head and thorax are actually fused into a cephalothorax aka prosoma - the head, thorax and abdomen are human and the lower 'bits' arachnid so a Drider only doubles up in having two abdomens.

Gibbering Mouther - a cubic metre or more blob of jelly with way too many eyes (not in pairs) and way too many sharp-toothed mouths all of which, in both cases, are randomly placed and frantically active.

10.8% abv - uh huh, yep, sounds about right.

* The TMs are a piss-take dating back to about 1984 when TSR as was started getting really protective of a lot of their game elements, particularly monsters. My irritation with trade-marking what is essentially new language would be lessened if anybody in the organisation had ever had any story-telling talent. To be fair there is one good story in Monster Mythology - The Agony of Lafarallinn. This jewel of an elven background tale (natch) from the rulebooks associated with the under-used 2nd Edition version of the game is available online in a slightly truncated and modified form if anyone is of a mind to gather round the campfire to hear it on this still and star-strewn night...

http://www.lunadreams.com/highbank/lore.html

Or you could go to 2nd Edition Monster Mythology pg 26 and read it as originally written - it's so elven.

Lafarallinn's adventures in the Abyss seeking to free and redeem the soul of his belovéd are for another night young ones but I can tell you that it was during this time that Lafarallinn regained from The Demon Child the mighty blade Danórë/Danorya that is called Resurgam by the races of men.

Celebaelin
1350078.  Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:04 am Reply with quote

Tea.

PG Tips in fact - other brands are of course available. This is the first time I've seen the small side of 8am after a night's sleep for quite some time; ironically I don't have anything pressing to do until midday.

Jenny
1350094.  Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:45 pm Reply with quote

Other brands are available, but not on this side of the Atlantic, desirable. For some bizarre reason, over here they go for Liptons, which I find fairly undrinkable.

Efros
1350095.  Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:23 pm Reply with quote

I have some Tetley and also some Scottish Blend. Liptons ain't my favourite either, I remember my Great Grandma used to only use Ringtons Tea which she bought from a Ringtons Tea van that went round all the houses in Sunderland. Apparently they still do

crissdee
1350099.  Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:32 pm Reply with quote

When I was staying in Berlin with the Guardian Angels, the guy whose apartment we were using did not drink tea, so I was obliged to go and get some. The first to catch my eye in whatever shop we went in was Liptons English Breakfast Blend, and was unquestionably the best tea I have ever drunk. I am currently using the Clipper Organic English Breakfast bags that come with my food parcels (because it saves me buying anything else) and they are distinctly "meh". This may not be unconnected with the sweetener I am obliged to use in place of sugar.

Jenny
1350168.  Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:51 pm Reply with quote

I used to take two teaspoonfuls of sugar in tea and coffee years ago, but I weaned myself off it, a quarter of a teaspoonful at a time. I reduced the sugar and stirred it a lot so what was there was fully dissolved, and drank it that way until it tasted good to me. Then after a while I reduced it again, and so on. Once we were down to a quarter of a teaspoonful and I was used to that, I stopped it altogether. Now I really am not keen on sweetened tea or coffee, unless its iced tea (really never got a taste for iced coffee). I don't like iced tea unsweetened.

Page 26 of 28
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next