View previous topic | View next topic

What are you drinking today?

Page 1 of 21
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Alfred E Neuman
636509.  Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:34 am Reply with quote

It's Friday, so tonight is braai night*, so I'll be clearing some of that Grolsch out the beer fridge.

* which translates to "braaiaand" in Afrikaans, which is as many vowels in a row as I've ever seen in a legitimate word.

suze
636662.  Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:04 pm Reply with quote

In English, there is queueing and the less common cooeeing and miaouing which also have five in a row.

A few dictionaries also list some or all of aiouea (a sort of laurel), diooeae (a sort of cycad), and euouae (a chord progression found in some medieval Church music). But none of these is a word in anything remotely close to common usage.

So far as is known, the longest sequence of vowels in any language comes in the Hawai'ian word hooiaioia (which means "certified"). That one may be cheating though - I suspect there should be an apostrophe or two in there, and the apostrophe in Hawai'ian is a consonant.

There is also a Tupi language spoken somewhere in the Amazon jungle called Uru-eu-uau-uau - although again that is really cheating, and the fourth and six <u> are sometimes replaced by <w>.

Sophie.A
636666.  Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:10 pm Reply with quote

Tomato juice.

Pisania
641546.  Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote

Welch's Sparkling Grape Soda.

It's not generally for sale here, but I picked it up from this department store that has a shelf of American groceries and foodstuff I've only ever seen on tv or movies.

The soda itself is... woof. It's purple, which for me is very unusual, and the taste reminds me of those scented erasers that were a big thing in my childhood. Natural flavours my ass... And it's so disgustingly sweet too. No sugar though, just High Fructose Corn Syrup, whatever that is. Propably something that keeps me up all night.

Jenny
641572.  Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:23 pm Reply with quote

I can't imagine why you would want to actually drink it!

jdean
641581.  Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:45 pm Reply with quote

Hitting the Henry Weston's Organic cider. Dangerously and deceptively strong.

Pisania
641632.  Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:26 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
I can't imagine why you would want to actually drink it!

I wanted to try something different! Something I've never tried before. It turned out to be a huge disappointment, but now I'm a little wiser and know to stay the hell away from all things Welch's. Though it propably won't stop me from trying some of those other weird American sodas...

Celebaelin
641690.  Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:47 am Reply with quote

Sugar-free Vimto.

Yummy.

monzac
661933.  Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:55 am Reply with quote

First a little Ardmore, then a little Laphroaig. Guess who stopped off at the duty free shop ;)

*Yum, yum, yum, yum, yum*

I conned them into giving me a free 50 ml sample bottle of the Ardmore, but when I hopped on Skybus, realised that my ticket folder had a 20% discount voucher for the duty free shop: too late :( I won't dwell on it much longer, especially not after my next glass.

jdean
662225.  Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quote

Drinking my own homemade perry. Quite pleased with it this time. I made some a few years ago but it wasn't so good. This batch is very nice. Not sure how strong it is but I would guess (by the effect) that it is around 7 - 8% bv. 1 demijon gone, 5 to go!

hassan el kebir
662247.  Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:32 pm Reply with quote

hot karkaday made from my own hibiscuses, jolly red and yummy it is too

jdean
662250.  Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:37 pm Reply with quote

hassan el kebir wrote:

Is that like a herbal tea? It sounds interesting.

hassan el kebir
662270.  Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:54 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
hassan el kebir wrote:

Is that like a herbal tea? It sounds interesting.

Karkaday is an infusion of hibiscus flowers, it looks just like Ribena and tastes slightly similar too. Unlike Ribena it doesn't stain your clothing when it gets spilled all over you.

I apologise but I don't know which hibiscus is used other than it's a red flowered one. I shall grow more this year, if I remember I'll take some photos to show you

Izzardesque
663133.  Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:18 am Reply with quote

Mainly lemsip

Starfish13
663198.  Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:10 pm Reply with quote

Captain Morgan and old Jamaica ginger beer, with plenty of ice and a big wedge of lime.

Page 1 of 21
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next