View previous topic | View next topic

Hi ku?

Page 4 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Celebaelin
1334659.  Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:26 am Reply with quote

7,5,7 is far too easy!

In the pub last night following the Welsh defeat in the RWC semi-final in Japan I was challenged to write an Englyn. In my beer-affected state I struggled slightly to the extent that amongst other things I missed out an entire seven syllable line; in truth you might not notice that if you were unfamiliar with the form but it's clearly a shortcoming of the piece as delivered on the night. Wiki suggests that the englyn unodl union is 10,6,7,7. I was always taught that the form I should use was 7,3,7,7,7 rhyming and using cynghanedd where the 3 can be read either as the end of the first line or the beginning of the second.

Quote:
The straight one-rhymed englyn. This consists of four verses of ten, six, seven and seven syllables. The seventh, eighth or ninth syllable of the first verse introduces the rhyme and this is repeated on the last syllable of the other three verses. The part of the first verse after the rhyme alliterates with the first part of the second verse.

This is an englyn unodl union:

Ym Mhorth oer y Merthyron – y merthyr
Mwya'i werth o ddigon
A hir-fawrha y fro hon
Wr dewr o Aberdaron

— Alan Llwyd

(what does he know - he can't even spell Alun properly)

Anyway having found the piece of paper in my pocket this afternoon I've reworked the tiddly fumblings of last night into the following which, if it warrants a title, shall be handicapped with the appellation Irony.

First as Wiki would have it...

The worrying weary woes for grown sons,
Coming on calmed seas,
Leaving less than little ease,
Granting not a gentle peace.

and now in the two versions that my father and grandfather would have recognised, albeit that writing in English gives a far bigger vocabularic toolset to work with (but no gender endings to make the rhymes easy).

The worrying weary woes for grown sons,
Coming upon calmed seas,

The worrying weary woes,
For grown sons coming upon calmed seas,

It speaks of the frustrations of forced inaction; I'm quite proud of myself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Englyn
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynghanedd

barbados
1342852.  Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:37 am Reply with quote

Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don’t make sense
Refrigerator

Page 4 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4